Lew's Tournament Pro - icast

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lew's Tournament Pro - icast

Post by johnD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm

This is the reel that replaced the Pro G.
It now has a bearing supported pinion gear. No internal brakes but , a re-designed external brake that's supposed to be quieter than most.
$199

I didn't get the weight but , it's light. Felt solid for sure. Those are not winn gripps , it's just a texture they put on there.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lew's Tournament Pro - icast

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:33 pm

I am still not sure about the pinion's support. I wonder if they have single support and a different design/location or true dual support like Shimano's X-Ship and Daiwa Free floating spools...

I really hope it is a dual supported pinion, this would be a huge step for Lew's reels. Would like to use a 3rd brand as they have known to be okay reels for light lure casting. Would love it if they brought dual main support, dual pinion support, on a reel designed for light lures.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 am

I know this is an older post but I just picked up one of these because it felt good in the store...I had enough BPS gift cards that I only spent $8 cash to walk out with it.

I'm very impressed. I've tried several Abu's (Gen2 STX) and Lew's in the past (including BB1 Pro) and this reel fishes very well.

Casting distance is outstanding and it took me about three casts to set it up.

Threw a 1.5LC a mile.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri May 24, 2019 3:31 pm

LAGVPI99 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:30 am
I know this is an older post but I just picked up one of these because it felt good in the store...I had enough BPS gift cards that I only spent $8 cash to walk out with it.

I'm very impressed. I've tried several Abu's (Gen2 STX) and Lew's in the past (including BB1 Pro) and this reel fishes very well.

Casting distance is outstanding and it took me about three casts to set it up.

Threw a 1.5LC a mile.
Lucky dawg !! Should be a solid reel for a long time. I'll be heading back to icast in July , it's gonna be interesting.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 am

I'd still like to see a schematic and see if they went with a true style dual support or however they did it.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat May 25, 2019 8:33 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 am
I'd still like to see a schematic and see if they went with a true style dual support or however they did it.
Looking at the schematic , I'm not seeing it. I might be missing something ?

https://www.lews.com/themes/lews_theme/ ... MANUAL.pdf

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun May 26, 2019 9:40 am

johnD wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:33 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:

The second pinion bearing is more than likely 55. So the spool now is supported by 2 bearings instead of 3, which never made sense anyways.
<")))><{

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:40 am

Figured this was the case, and thanks for the schematic, 155 would need to be a bearing to be true dual pinion support like Shimano uses for X-ship or Daiwa uses for free floaters. This still works and the bushing at 155 helps, but having smooth rotating metal there can really help gear life and alignment whilst feeling better the life of the reel.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:58 pm

I have a few days on the water with mine and have been very pleased. I even added another for cranking. Upgrading knobs to the Lew's EVA/cork for a thicker feel. These things cast GREAT.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:34 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:40 am
johnD wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

The second pinion bearing is more than likely 55. So the spool now is supported by 2 bearings instead of 3, which never made sense anyways.
Just a question from a fishing carpenter. With a single piece spool shaft, doesn't the bearing under the spool tension cap (55) count as a third spool support bearing?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:41 am

mark poulson wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:34 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
johnD wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Just a question from a fishing carpenter. With a single piece spool shaft, doesn't the bearing under the spool tension cap (55) count as a third spool support bearing?
Yes, it used to be, but now apparently they have made it into a pinion bearing. The spool shaft will go through the pinion, and right out to the cast control cap. Kind of like the way the Daiwas do, but instead of having that plastic extension, the spool shaft goes right through.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:36 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:41 am
mark poulson wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:34 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
johnD wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Yes, it used to be, but now apparently they have made it into a pinion bearing. The spool shaft will go through the pinion, and right out to the cast control cap. Kind of like the way the Daiwas do, but instead of having that plastic extension, the spool shaft goes right through.
I don't understand. Are you saying that they are now just calling it a pinion bearing, but that the actual design hasn't changed?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 pm

He is saying that the bearing under the cc cap supports the end of the pinion gear (instead of the spool shaft as in past reels). Before, the pinion was actually held in place by the shaft. Now the bearing supports the pinion and the shaft floats in the pinion without touching the inside of it. This eliminates some of the friction that was present before the design change. This should lead to longer, easier casts.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 pm
He is saying that the bearing under the cc cap supports the end of the pinion gear (instead of the spool shaft as in past reels). Before, the pinion was actually held in place by the shaft. Now the bearing supports the pinion and the shaft floats in the pinion without touching the inside of it. This eliminates some of the friction that was present before the design change. This should lead to longer, easier casts.
Yes. Thank you.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:05 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 pm
Thanks for the explanation.
If I understand what you're saying, the hole in the pinion gear is actually larger than the spool shaft diameter, so it only touches the bearing retainer pin near the spool, and part of the spool shaft when it's engaged after the cast. That would make it "free floating", more or less, on the cast.