Metanium MGL/silent tune - spool shaft

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Metanium MGL/silent tune - spool shaft

Post by y2k88 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 am

With some recent Shimanos having the bearing behind the spool pin, and no bearing under the c/control knob, is there actually any need for that long spool shaft?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Metanium MGL/silent tune - spool shaft

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:09 pm

Yes and No. For Shimano currently, the tip of that shaft controls the cast control tension. It is smoothed off and the tighter you turn cast control cap, the tighter it gets on the end of that shaft. Daiwa did away with that shaft because the spool already floats on 2 bearings and they use a plastic insert that gets pressure from the cast cap then transfers it to the tip of the shorter spool shaft.

The benefit of the Daiwa design is that if grease reaches the inside of the pinion then no harm. On a Shimano that long shaft goes through the pinion (and obviously turns because it is connected to the spool) so if grease gets on that long shaft under the pinion it can really hinder you casting distances.

So no they don't have to have it if they would add an insert to take its place through the pinion, but YES because until then they must have a design that reaches through to the cast control tension knob. By the way, I have NEVER had grease enter that area on my Shimano or anyone else I know who fishes Shimano reels.