OG Steez vs Steez TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which steez body to you prefer?

OG Steez
39%
Steez TW
61%

Total votes: 69

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: OG Steez vs Steez TW

Post by Rippin-lips » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:55 am

Houndfish wrote:
Rippin-lips wrote:I was hoping it would be a Goldilocks reel to fit between the Alphas and sv103, but it's not markedly better then either of them (esp the sv103) and for my hands, far less universally comfortable then with of them as well. Right now mine is sitting on the shelf as I could not get a comfortable grip on it mounted to the rod I bought it for (MBR 783c glx). I thought it would be the perfect reel for a 3 power loomis but the "bump" at the back-bottom of the handle side smushes my ring finger when I plam the reel.
I ran into a similar situation with my monoblock. I really tried to find a way to grip it comfortably but I just couldn’t. It had a sharp edge that would dig into my pinky and I ended up selling it.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm

I was replying to freelancer 27....or more specifically, his self-admitted thread hijack. ;)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:42 pm

Rippin-lips wrote: I ran into a similar situation with my monoblock. I really tried to find a way to grip it comfortably but I just couldn’t. It had a sharp edge that would dig into my pinky and I ended up selling it.
I paid close enough to msrp that I am not gonna sell it, it feels good on my FMJ so I am sure at some point I will get a rod that it matches well with.

However, this thread got me looking at OG Steezes, so now I think I need one of those to try on the MBR.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:13 am

Steez A or TWS SV
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:10 am

How is the drag on the Steez A and Steez SV TW different??? I assume the A uses 2 plates and the SV has a multi stack with maybe eared washers???

Also, is the OG steez the same frame as the Steez SV or SS/SV???

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:38 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:How is the drag on the Steez A and Steez SV TW different??? I assume the A uses 2 plates and the SV has a multi stack with maybe eared washers???

The OG steez 100SH , SS SV, OG Zillion, Steez A and Steez SV TW all share the same gear dimensions , (the Steez 103 has smaller diameter gears) , differences being materials made from and the steez A has the single plate with a clicking pawl arrangement, Steez SV uses multi stack drag.
The Steez SV magnesium handle side plate is thicker than the alloy side plate of the Steez A and Steez A gears will rub in a steez SV, also the Steez A has an extra locking lever on its non handle side plate and cannot fit the steez sv frame but the steez sv plate will fit on the A. SV and A have different drive shafts as the A is machined to take O-rings for the sealed drag similar to a ryoga set up, and the SV shaft has holes for weight reduction.
there is 2 different sized frames in the original steez as the 100SH is a little larger gear case drop down for larger diameter gears , the steez ex and SS SV also have the larger frame..

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:02 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:How is the drag on the Steez A and Steez SV TW different??? I assume the A uses 2 plates and the SV has a multi stack with maybe eared washers???

The OG steez 100SH , SS SV, OG Zillion, Steez A and Steez SV TW all share the same gear dimensions , (the Steez 103 has smaller diameter gears) , differences being materials made from and the steez A has the single plate with a clicking pawl arrangement, Steez SV uses multi stack drag.
The Steez SV magnesium handle side plate is thicker than the alloy side plate of the Steez A and Steez A gears will rub in a steez SV, also the Steez A has an extra locking lever on its non handle side plate and cannot fit the steez sv frame but the steez sv plate will fit on the A. SV and A have different drive shafts as the A is machined to take O-rings for the sealed drag similar to a ryoga set up, and the SV shaft has holes for weight reduction.
there is 2 different sized frames in the original steez as the 100SH is a little larger gear case drop down for larger diameter gears , the steez ex and SS SV also have the larger frame..
Great info, I assume the Steez EX and SS/SV are the same size as the non TW Steez SV that came out too, correct? As far as the A versus the SV TW Steez, I also have been reading that the spool bearings are different??? The Steez SV TW and Zillion SV TW both take 2 of the same size bearings and the Steez A takes two different sized bearings like the Zillion TWS and a few others. Didn't know if there was an adaptor that allowed the Steez A to use 2 of the same sized bearings also though.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:15 am

The Steez A, Steez SV TW, and zillion SV Tw use the same side plate bearing size.

The steez SV TW and zillion SV use the same spool bearing size + coupler.

The Steez A, stock, doesn't use the bearing coupler that comes on the Steez SV TW/Zillion SV TW. However, you have to use the coupler with the Steez A if you put the Steez or zillion SV TW spools in it. I don't recall the bearing size of the Steez A. Didn't keep it long enough to write it down. Bearing went with the spools when I sold them.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:39 am

iabass8 wrote:The Steez A, Steez SV TW, and zillion SV Tw use the same side plate bearing size.

The steez SV TW and zillion SV use the same spool bearing size + coupler.

The Steez A, stock, doesn't use the bearing coupler that comes on the Steez SV TW/Zillion SV TW. However, you have to use the coupler with the Steez A if you put the Steez or zillion SV TW spools in it. I don't recall the bearing size of the Steez A. Didn't keep it long enough to write it down. Bearing went with the spools when I sold them.
You mean you sold the spool, not the reel, right??? I will probably have a Steez A spool for sale on here before long, please PM me what I should ask for it. Also do I need to buy an extra coupler? I ordered an extra Zillion spool a while back but don't remember if it was on there or not. Maybe my stock SS/SV spool still has one... You can order the bigger bearing to fit the gap, the Steez A uses the same size as the Zillion TWS, https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/produ ... duct_id=14

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Yes, I sold the spool, not the reel. I sold them for +/- 80$ a piece and they went pretty quick. You don't see many for sale so I guess it's up to you what to ask. My Steez SV G1 1016 spools came with the coupler piece. It is part of the spool assembly part #(s) and daiwa, stateside, doesn't sell pieces of a spool assembly separate. You would have to get them from PLAT or possibly the guys at the TT may have some laying around. Larger bearings, I don't believe, would compensate for the difference. The coupler itself is about twice the height of the bearing and a hair larger outside diameter. I'm sure it's there for a reason (I never looked into the why to be honest) or there would just be a bearing. You need 2x 3x10x4's for the Steez A/SV TW if upgrading bearings. I've got Office ZPI's in mine and more on the way from the TT. Wasn't impressed /w the stock Zillion/Steez sV TW/A bearings even after flushing them countless times and using long cast oil.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:25 pm

iabass8 wrote:Yes, I sold the spool, not the reel. I sold them for +/- 80$ a piece and they went pretty quick. You don't see many for sale so I guess it's up to you what to ask. My Steez SV G1 1016 spools came with the coupler piece. It is part of the spool assembly part #(s) and daiwa, stateside, doesn't sell pieces of a spool assembly separate. You would have to get them from PLAT or possibly the guys at the TT may have some laying around. Larger bearings, I don't believe, would compensate for the difference. The coupler itself is about twice the height of the bearing and a hair larger outside diameter. I'm sure it's there for a reason (I never looked into the why to be honest) or there would just be a bearing. You need 2x 3x10x4's for the Steez A/SV TW if upgrading bearings. I've got Office ZPI's in mine and more on the way from the TT. Wasn't impressed /w the stock Zillion/Steez sV TW/A bearings even after flushing them countless times and using long cast oil.
the theory behind running the spool with identical bearings both sides is for balance and improved performance. bearings of different diameter spin at different speed when at the same rpm which could cause slight imbalance, when same diameters everything is the same , ball sizes , cages etc , that's assuming using 2 bearings of same brand/model and not mixed of different brands etc.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:34 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
iabass8 wrote:Yes, I sold the spool, not the reel. I sold them for +/- 80$ a piece and they went pretty quick. You don't see many for sale so I guess it's up to you what to ask. My Steez SV G1 1016 spools came with the coupler piece. It is part of the spool assembly part #(s) and daiwa, stateside, doesn't sell pieces of a spool assembly separate. You would have to get them from PLAT or possibly the guys at the TT may have some laying around. Larger bearings, I don't believe, would compensate for the difference. The coupler itself is about twice the height of the bearing and a hair larger outside diameter. I'm sure it's there for a reason (I never looked into the why to be honest) or there would just be a bearing. You need 2x 3x10x4's for the Steez A/SV TW if upgrading bearings. I've got Office ZPI's in mine and more on the way from the TT. Wasn't impressed /w the stock Zillion/Steez sV TW/A bearings even after flushing them countless times and using long cast oil.
the theory behind running the spool with identical bearings both sides is for balance and improved performance. bearings of different diameter spin at different speed when at the same rpm which could cause slight imbalance, when same diameters everything is the same , ball sizes , cages etc , that's assuming using 2 bearings of same brand/model and not mixed of different brands etc.
So they coupler that we are seeing now is so the reel can use two of the same size spool bearings?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:26 am

iabass8 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
So they coupler that we are seeing now is so the reel can use two of the same size spool bearings?
yep, it is to fit a bearing with a smaller OD into the frame, the spool shaft is also smaller, 3mm OD versus 5mm

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:34 am

Ok thanks for the reply. I am looking into the AIR BFS bearings because I eventually plan on running an RCS 1012 SV G1 in the Steez A. I do have an extra coupling that came with the Zillion SV TW spool and there is one on the SS/SV spool. I will list the Steez A spool for about $75 if I do not like it. Will be interested to see if I like the SS/SV spool with a Type R+ spring & Zillion SV TW inductor (and white ramp) better than the Steez A Mag-Z spool for shallow long distance cranking (DT6-10 style lures).

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 am

Fished with a Steez SV TW this past weekend along with my OG Steez reels (100HLA and 103HLA). Definitely enjoyed the SV TW and it seemed almost impossible to overrun. I am not great on pitching (distance and accuracy), but the SV TW made me almost look like a star :big grin:

Fished with the Zillion SV TWS for two days at Clear Lake a couple of weeks ago and it was a good experience also. But, I decided to go with the Steez SV TW, especially with 20% off and no sales tax for a Veterans Day sale.

So, while the Steez SV TW is great and I bought one, I will be keeping two of three my OG Steez reels and selling one of them (JDM version).

Doc