Concept C worth the $?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Concept C worth the $?

Post by 1nutinthewater » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Its been nearly a month since the last reel purchase so the BM is starting to whisper in my ear.
I tried to purchase one last year while only a few hours from their factory but was unable to even find any carried in the area but they have not left my mind.
Anyone with reel life experience with the Concept C? Would be used for float fishing winter steel head.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Concept C worth the $?

Post by SSS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:05 pm

I don't think anything from 13fishing worth the money. Just my opinion.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 pm

SSS wrote:I don't think anything from 13fishing worth the money. Just my opinion.
The Concept Z is a great reel.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:08 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:Its been nearly a month since the last reel purchase so the BM is starting to whisper in my ear.
I tried to purchase one last year while only a few hours from their factory but was unable to even find any carried in the area but they have not left my mind.
Anyone with reel life experience with the Concept C? Would be used for float fishing winter steel head.
used twice and put back into the box.

if they have a great customer service in your area, Why not giving it a try.

WW

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:38 pm

No. Plain and simple for me. Friend had about 3 13Fishing reels mixed with his +20 Daiwa's, I fished the Concept C a lot on a 7'9"MH crank rod. It would absolutely bomb big cranks, issue's were tuning for different/lighter lures, not as smooth as $180-200 competitors (even some $150 competitors), and the anti reverse went bad. They aren't horrible reels, I actually like the way they palm and cast, just not quite worth $230 in my opinion. It would be hard for me to even spend $180 on one for the prices Tatula's and Curado K's are going...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:17 am

mark poulson wrote:
SSS wrote:I don't think anything from 13fishing worth the money. Just my opinion.
The Concept Z is a great reel.
So is a Curado K. Its cheaper too. What im saying is that, for the price 13fishing is asking, you can find better products from better conpanies. Concept Z would be a good deal for $129, not more.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 am

Worth the money is up to you ultimatly. Is it a big jump from say the A? sure. I still use my C right next to my zillions, z2020, ryoga, and steez a. Is it as refined as the Steez etc no, but the price isnt as high either. It was a much easier to cast reel than my old lews team lites that I moved away from though.

I have never really needed to adjust mine brake wise one I had it set, reminded me of the old curados in that regard. The reel does seem to benefit greatly from new bearings, but I do that to all my reels so not a negative to me.

I wouldnt pay MSRP for one, but I dont pay MSRP for any reel lol. I think the price is an issue on it overall as you can get into zillions etc at a similar price. Ultimatly though if you want it get it, its a fun small reel that in my hands was more limited by the rod than anything else when it came to casting.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:33 am

Picked it up for 22% off msrp so its on the way now. Have wanted to test drive one of their products but here in Oregon they just do not exist.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:55 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:Picked it up for 22% off msrp so its on the way now. Have wanted to test drive one of their products but here in Oregon they just do not exist.
Give us a report once you've fished it.

lunchbox
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by lunchbox » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 am

I have 2 Cs, and love them. Haven't had any trouble with either.

d_vowell
Angler
Angler

Post by d_vowell » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 am

Of the three 13 Fishing reels I bought, the C is the only one I still have. I have pretty much dedicated it to throwing smaller cranks, like the Rapala DT6.

I think the breaking can be a bit finicky at times, with 2 not being enough and 3 being too much, so there is a bunch of fiddling with the cast control knob. Windy conditions make it a bear to get dialed in.

BUT...when everything is just right, with the right rod, line just peels off this thing. I'm a fan of the over-sized cork knobs that come stock.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:02 pm

The reel arrived. Looks good except the KOREA on the bottom. The oversize knobs are great! Not co crazy about the cheap looking chrome around them and they both are fairly loose. Took them apart and no bearing at the bottom and does not seem that i can put a shim in there?
Spooled it up with 90 yards of Sufix 832 braid and took numerous cast in the field- very smooth and casts great. The side plate is a pain and changing the brakes in the field with cold fingers aint gunna happen. Set it on 2 and adjusted the clicking knob until slow drop.
Looking forward to fishing it but salmon season is still a month off so to late to return it by then if I dont like it.
Just need to find a way to tighten up those knobs for now........
Last edited by 1nutinthewater on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:33 am

1nutinthewater wrote:The reel arrived. Looks good except the KOREA on the bottom. The oversize knobs are great! Not co crazy about the cheap looking chrome around them and they both are fairly loose. Took them apart and no bearing at the bottom and does not seem that i can put a shim in there?
Spooled it up with 90 yards of Sufix 832 braid and took numerous cast in the field- very smooth and casts great. The side plate is a pain and changing the breaks in the field with cold fingers aint gunna happen. Set it on 2 and adjusted the clicking knob until slow drop.
Looking forward to fishing it but salmon season is still a month off so to late to return it by then if I dont like it.
Post your question on the 13Fishing forum under manufacturer support, and maybe Matt will be able to help you.
viewforum.php?f=69

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

mark poulson wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:The reel arrived. Looks good except the KOREA on the bottom. The oversize knobs are great! Not co crazy about the cheap looking chrome around them and they both are fairly loose. Took them apart and no bearing at the bottom and does not seem that i can put a shim in there?
Spooled it up with 90 yards of Sufix 832 braid and took numerous cast in the field- very smooth and casts great. The side plate is a pain and changing the breaks in the field with cold fingers aint gunna happen. Set it on 2 and adjusted the clicking knob until slow drop.
Post your question on the 13Fishing forum under manufacturer support, and maybe Matt will be able to help you.
http://www.tackletour.net/viewforum.php?f=69
Sent them an email and they took care of me by sending a few shims which fixed the problem. Took it fishing and felt a occasional "thunk" which ended up being a sloppy drive shaft. Sent it in to them and they shimmed it which took care of it.
Feels nice now casting in the field but the upcoming steel head season will put it to work.
Never had this many issues with ANY new reel........

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 pm

mark poulson wrote:
http://www.tackletour.net/viewforum.php?f=69
Sent them an email and they took care of me by sending a few shims which fixed the problem. Took it fishing and felt a occasional "thunk" which ended up being a sloppy drive shaft. Sent it in to them and they shimmed it which took care of it.
Feels nice now casting in the field but the upcoming steel head season will put it to work.
Never had this many issues with ANY new reel........