Has anyone put a clear coat on their TD Ito?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Has anyone put a clear coat on their TD Ito?

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 am

I've used a few of the Ito's and loved them, but never got one for myself because of the paint being so easy to scratch/chip. So i was thinking of finding myself one in great cosmetic condition and apply a clear coat on the frame/side plates to protect the paint. Has anyone done this? How does it look afterwards?

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Has anyone put a clear coat on their TD Ito?

Post by Winstondry » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:26 pm

I haven't tried clear coat but I do use 3M clear bra on my saltwater reels (Talica, Trinidads, Ocea Conquests) as well as on all my rods both SW and FW. I start right below the OEM hook keepers to prevent trebles or plastics from marring the clear coat on the blanks. I only put about .5" x 6" so it doesn't really add any weight and you can't really tell it's even on there if you apply it correctly.

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:16 pm

A few years ago I had the same idea. I tried it on the left sideplate on a RH ito. It looked good, but it started peeling pretty quickly to where I eventually just rubbed the rest off. I'm not a painter and just sprayed it on with no prep work, so maybe that's why it peeled.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:12 pm

DanD wrote:A few years ago I had the same idea. I tried it on the left sideplate on a RH ito. It looked good, but it started peeling pretty quickly to where I eventually just rubbed the rest off. I'm not a painter and just sprayed it on with no prep work, so maybe that's why it peeled.
other than cleaning the side plate with rubbing alcohol, i don't even see how could you prep it. Not like you're gonna sand an Ito.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:56 am

I would imagine you would have to prep, paint and then clear...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:36 am

Moosehead wrote:I would imagine you would have to prep, paint and then clear...
what i wanted to do is to protect the original paint, not repaint the whole reel. So it may be a bad idea i don't know.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 am

I have a friend that fishes hard with his TD-Zs and they all look brand new. He uses a spray called plasti dip. on key parts to his outside of his reels and peels it off afterwards. I don't know how it works but it seems to work for him.