Daiwa Sol

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Sol

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:40 pm

In Australia there has been 2 more sol variants , the Sol 2 based on the Tatula and now the Sol 3 based on a zillion 1016SV.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:56 am

Sol is a nice reel but if your gonna put money like you have into it go with a pixy . Resale will be easier

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:43 pm

bpettus2 wrote:Sol is a nice reel but if your gonna put money like you have into it go with a pixy . Resale will be easier
I really like the both of my orange sols and don't plan on selling them. I have a silver pixy, px68, and a px-r. Any time you put dress up parts and upgrade parts on a reel your going to spend too much money and your not going to get your money back out of the reel. I knew that going into this project.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:40 pm

It’s like anything people don’t pay for upgrades but as long as your happy doesn’t matter good looking sol for sure

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 pm

I prefer the Sol to the Pixy. With the right spool it's incredibly versatile.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:26 am

If you can find one the Alpha Type R spool is a great performer, I have one in my Sol and prefer it to the SV spool.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 am

BigG wrote:If you can find one the Alpha Type R spool is a great performer, I have one in my Sol and prefer it to the SV spool.
I have an Alphas Type R and yes the spool is a great performer. I like the SV spool for skipping and pitching and it is a very forgiving spool. If would like more finesse in your Sol, the Cosugi Works Spool is a awesome performer.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:37 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
BigG wrote:If you can find one the Alpha Type R spool is a great performer, I have one in my Sol and prefer it to the SV spool.
I have an Alphas Type R and yes the spool is a great performer. I like the SV spool for skipping and pitching and it is a very forgiving spool. If would like more finesse in your Sol, the Cosugi Works Spool is a awesome performer.
Pretty much use my Sol for casting 1/4 oz Pop R's. Have some pixs & presso for finese

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Moosehead wrote:I only have one aftermarket spool for one sol, a megabass honeycomb but it's green...not a good look..
Don't feel like looking for it now, but I have a Presso spool in one of my Sols. I believe it is a darker orange-ish color. You would need spacers to use it, tho. Took a quick look, but don't remember which rod I have it on and all my reels have covers on them. Good for protection...bad for finding a specific reel. :( I found one Sol, but it wasn't the one with the Presso.

I found some spacers at work about a week ago. I think they are the right size for putting a Presso into the Sol, but would need to take some measurements.

EDIT: Presso spool color on right side. https://japantackle.com/reel-archives/c ... hives.html

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:24 pm

There is quite a variety of spools that will fit the SOL . Rays Studio make bfs spools for the alphas in different colours that fit the SOL, as well as the Alphas SV RCS spools, then Zonda spools as well.