Aldebaran mg7

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Aldebaran mg7

Post by 5bites » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:55 am

How would you rate this reel compared to the modern Shimano 150 size and smaller reels? With mgl reels being the thing now and curado/scorpion 70’s being very popular I wondered if they were put head to head how it would fair. I’m mostly curious about the size/comfort, and of course the braking as far as how well it manages line but not necessarily distance. I have a handful of modern shimanos and had the chronarch 51e back in the day but never a core or aldebaran. I’m hoping for a magnesium mgl 70 type reel in the future or a deeper spooled aldebaran mgl.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Aldebaran mg7

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:35 am

IMO the best of the Shimanos were the Ald/Core/Ch/CU 50s of the past. I have Aldebaran MG, and its just a blast to fish. The newer Shimanos just dont seem the same as they used to be. If you can find a Ald MG is really good condition, jump on it, you wont be disappointed.
<")))><{

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:02 am

Owned a bunch of Core 50s and Curado 50s when they were available, and have been picking up used Aldebaran MGs now. They are tight, solid little reels, but lack the power that Xship provides. Control is to good in my hands as they are impossible to backlash with only 1 brake on. This reduces distance, so I’ve had to tune the brakes to gain distance. Very comfortable in hand, and very light with the aluminum gears. I’ve swapped mine for the brass 7.7:1, and they are little tanks now.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:06 pm

I don't know how they stack up against newer offerings, but the 09 Aldebaran is a killer little reel. I like and prefer the older, set and forget braking. It works well, and I don't understand the new fine adjustments braking, as it simply wasn't necessary imo. With spool options it really opens the reel up to do whatever you want it to. Super light reel with killer ergonomics. Wish it had X Ship though.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Only reason I would buy the Ald MG7 is if wanting a weight saving set-up. The new 70's perform better all around and nearly identical in size maybe 1-2mm difference in spots. I say this while still using 50E Core50mg7 and 2 70's routinely. I feel the new SVS is a very good and welcomed improvement over the over-braked VBS 50 reels. As mentioned XSHIP is very much noticed on the 70 like when cranking in spinnerbaits of say 3/4oz with those big blades cranking a Core is a chore. 8-)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:45 pm

If we are talking 09' version, that reel is just outright sick out of the box. I've upgraded mine quite a bit and she still in my regular rotation that's how highly regarded that model is to me and someone else stated and I think I've stated as well on many threads that that body style didn't matter if it was aluminum or magnesium was just a sweet sweet reel in any version :big grin:

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:45 pm

I was hoping to hear all this. Well maybe not the slight lack of power but still. I’ll have to watch for some good deals on them when my account heals from the recent eBay sales.

Thanks all for the comments!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:26 am

5bites wrote:I was hoping to hear all this. Well maybe not the slight lack of power but still. I’ll have to watch for some good deals on them when my account heals from the recent eBay sales.

Thanks all for the comments!
Don't worry about the lack of "power". They are just fine. The 50s were not made for big heavy resistance baits anyways. They were designed for baits ideally in the 1/4oz to 1/2oz range, especially the MG7. If you need more "power", they have the regular MG, which comes in the 5 ratio. That's good for crankbaits and such resistance baits.
<")))><{

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Just slap in a set of 7.7 brass gears and your good to go for everything

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:37 am

This is my favorite platform of any of my reels. I think I have at least 10 of them between aldes, cores, curados, and scorpions. Unless the weight is a big issue, I would recommend a curado 50 or scorp xt 1000 instead. The have brass gears, aluminum frames, and for some reason, they cast further for me. I think it is something to do with the resonance of the mg frame??? They are also super easy to break down and maintain. I just got a scorp xt 1001 for $100 on ebay. Great deal!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Better looking and more comfy than current Alde. If someone were to give me a NIB current alde or the MG7, i'd go with the MG7 anyd day.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:40 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Only reason I would buy the Ald MG7 is if wanting a weight saving set-up. The new 70's perform better all around and nearly identical in size maybe 1-2mm difference in spots. I say this while still using 50E Core50mg7 and 2 70's routinely. I feel the new SVS is a very good and welcomed improvement over the over-braked VBS 50 reels. As mentioned XSHIP is very much noticed on the 70 like when cranking in spinnerbaits of say 3/4oz with those big blades cranking a Core is a chore. 8-)
I agree with this comment, the newer 70 cast further but not easier, more robust but not as smooth. If you like set it and forget it type go with Ald 50mg but for cheaper plus you can get brand new 70 all the way. I have alde MG7, scorpion xt1000, chronarch 50e, 3 curado 70 and 1 scorpion 70 to compare.
Regarding power alde MG7 can handle pretty much everything if you are not sure about aluminum gear just drop in 50e gear 6.4:1 and call it done. I used my chronarch 50e for chatterbait and Zoom Magnum Fluke all day, any day.