Comparing Original Steez to Metanium MGL, etc

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Comparing Original Steez to Metanium MGL, etc

Post by 78Staff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:24 am

Touched on this in another thread, but have several original Steez's, as well as a few J Dreams and SV103/Alphas SV's. Been a Daiwa guy for as long as one can remember - I did briefly try the "White" Chronach's from several years back but didn't really care for them. But talk lately about the Metanium MGL has me itching to try something new...

So how does the Metanium MGL compare to the original Steez I wonder. Even though a Daiwa guy, I never really warmed up to the TWS era and have stuck to the earlier models with good results. Even the SV's, while nice tend to overbrake imo so I mostly use them just for pitching plastics presentations mostly, and using the Steez and J Dream for presentations where casting is at a premium.

Anyway, have a 893c and 894c on the way and thinking a lighter reel is likely going to match up better for them over the 7+ oz Zillion format J Dreams or SV103's, so leaning towards the original Steez or Alphas SV i already have, or maybe trying the Metanium MGL...
Last edited by 78Staff on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Comparing Original Steez to Metanium MGL, etc

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:45 am

Being a huge Daiwa fan, I have been warming up to Shimano reels.

I got a 12 Antares for cranking. I love that reel. Soooooooo smooth and casts very far. I tied it to a jig rod last year and tried skipping with it. I really liked skipping with it. Less forgiving than SV but, the good ones skipped smoother and farther than with SV. That was with FC BTW.

I recently got a Bantam MGL. I spooled it up with 65lb braid. I bought the reel to use for all around MH/H stuff like spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, frogs...

I tried a few skips with it. I was impressed with it. I generally don't like skipping with braid but, the few attempts I did, they went well. Good distance and little effort. I was using a Orochi XX Tour Versatile too, which I don't prefer skipping with.

Only thing I don't like about most Shimano reels is the little play in the AR bearing. The Bantam doesn't seem to have it. My 12 Antares and 16 Aldebaran BFS XG does. Daiwa seems to do their AR bearing better.

I say at the price I've seen Metanium MGL go for, it's worth it to give it a try. Should be an easy sell if you don't like it. I never got the Metanium MGL because of the bad reports about the gears getting rough pretty quick
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:02 am

Actually the play in the AR is one reason I've never really warmed up to Shimano - I know it's a non-issue, but the solid AR of Daiwa feels so much better imo. Those white chronarch's had that loose AR also. Not sure if the Met is the same or not. Most of the reviews I've been reading seem to indicate the Metanium MGL wasn't really worth the $150 or so up-charge from the Chronarch MGL, but with prices now much closer that may not be the case anymore.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 am

I also am a Daiwa fan. Because of the current lack of selection in the Daiwa camp I went kinda nuts on buying Shimanos this summer and fall. So far I believe I made the right decision. Those mgl reels especially have a smooth effortless cast. Apparently the distance is excellent too but I’m rarely trying to get every inch out of my casts. You will most definitely notice the smoothness though. My complaint about the chronarch and Metanium is the chin of the reel is to low and won’t let you put your finger under it when palming. This makes the reel feel bigger than it is. To me the curado k palms better. The bantam palms phenomenally. If they’ll make an upgraded mgl 71 type reel then I will be first in line!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:17 pm

5bites wrote:I also am a Daiwa fan. Because of the current lack of selection in the Daiwa camp I went kinda nuts on buying Shimanos this summer and fall. So far I believe I made the right decision. Those mgl reels especially have a smooth effortless cast. Apparently the distance is excellent too but I’m rarely trying to get every inch out of my casts. You will most definitely notice the smoothness though. My complaint about the chronarch and Metanium is the chin of the reel is to low and won’t let you put your finger under it when palming. This makes the reel feel bigger than it is. To me the curado k palms better. The bantam palms phenomenally. If they’ll make an upgraded mgl 71 type reel then I will be first in line!
Just a matter of time until shallow options become common. Some companies got some already.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:33 pm

I stopped by a local shop and was able to look at a Metanium MGL, it was the DC version but I assume the physical size/format is the same? It palmed well, that I could tell and felt buttery :). The AR was solid as well. They didn't have any NRX's but I put in on a IMX Pro to get a feel for it. It was a rightly, and I use LH reels but even so I could tell it is a comfortable reel to fish it seemed like.

I just can't decide if it would be an upgrade over my Steez's, or J-Dreams for that matter.

Oddly, they also had a New In the Box original Steez 100HA - I couldn't believe it. It must have been sitting hidden on a back shelf for years lol. It also was a righty or I might have snagged it up.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:45 am

fished a met mgl, casts really well (2nd futhest caster after conquest DC) that i've tried. would i go for it over the og steez and its ton of spool options? nope. steez palms better (that's subjective), is lighter, looks better and casts at least as far. Since its an older model, it can be had for much cheaper than the mgl's as well.

Met MGL is a great reel, tho. I fund the Met2013 to be a pretty poor caster compared to my daiwa's, but the MGL version is much much better.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:09 am

thanks, yeah I've got 3 OG Steez - two are 6.3's, 1 is 7.1. I could drop a gear upgrade in the two 6.3's for $100 and be done - one each for the 893, 894, and 873 I've got coming. Plus I've got two Alphas SV's as well so I have a few options for 6oz reels. For all I know the J Dreams/SV105's may balance out fine also, just will have to try them out when the rods arrive.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:05 am

78Staff wrote:thanks, yeah I've got 3 OG Steez - two are 6.3's, 1 is 7.1. I could drop a gear upgrade in the two 6.3's for $100 and be done - one each for the 893, 894, and 873 I've got coming. Plus I've got two Alphas SV's as well so I have a few options for 6oz reels. For all I know the J Dreams/SV105's may balance out fine also, just will have to try them out when the rods arrive.
Don't believe you can go with a higher gear ratio on the 2 OG Steez 6.3:1 reels. The OG Steez 7.1:1 can out later than the 6.3:1 reels with a little larger frame to handle the larger gears.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:33 am

BigG wrote:
78Staff wrote:thanks, yeah I've got 3 OG Steez - two are 6.3's, 1 is 7.1. I could drop a gear upgrade in the two 6.3's for $100 and be done - one each for the 893, 894, and 873 I've got coming. Plus I've got two Alphas SV's as well so I have a few options for 6oz reels. For all I know the J Dreams/SV105's may balance out fine also, just will have to try them out when the rods arrive.
Don't believe you can go with a higher gear ratio on the 2 OG Steez 6.3:1 reels. The OG Steez 7.1:1 can out later than the 6.3:1 reels with a little larger frame to handle the larger gears.
Hmm, TackleTrap says this one will fit, but guess I better double check...

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=3305

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am

78Staff wrote:
BigG wrote:
Hmm, TackleTrap says this one will fit, but guess I better double check...

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=3305
Sorry, I think right handed, upgrade not available for right hand OG Steezs.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am

BigG wrote: Sorry, I think right handed, upgrade not available for right hand OG Steezs.
Yeah, this is one of those rare times us Lefty reel users get one up on all you guys using reels incorrectly... :mrgreen: lol j/k