What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:50 am

Alphas varient of the 30mm spool seems worthy to dabble with. Hope the exchange rate stays good until February.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:58 am

So they re-name the Alphas as a CT and with a 30mm spool, but its basically still the same reel.....probably not for me, then, or at least I wont be first in line. I love the Alphas/Pixy platform, but they need to redesign it with a more modern compact size and gear ratio options. If Abu can offer a tiny reel with an aluminum frame like the ALX and Shimano offers a reel as small as the Aldebaran MGL, then Daiwa really needs to get with it and make an all-new Pixy AND Alphas, imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:03 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:So they re-name the Alphas as a CT and with a 30mm spool, but its basically still the same reel.....probably not for me, then, or at least I wont be first in line. I love the Alphas/Pixy platform, but they need to redesign it with a more modern compact size and gear ratio options. If Abu can offer a tiny reel with an aluminum frame like the ALX and Shimano offers a reel as small as the Aldebaran MGL, then Daiwa really needs to get with it and make an all-new Pixy AND Alphas, imho.
I hear you on that.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26 pm

I thought the Alphas CT SV 70 was a joke. I guess it is real. It looks like a regular Alphas with spacers to use the 30m spool from the Steez CT. I don't see how the reel is an Alphas CT though. It's a good old platform though so it is good to see it still kicking. It might be a worth while investment to pick one up for future 30m spool compatibility.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:46 pm

LowRange wrote:I thought the Alphas CT SV 70 was a joke. I guess it is real. It looks like a regular Alphas with spacers to use the 30m spool from the Steez CT. I don't see how the reel is an Alphas CT though. It's a good old platform though so it is good to see it still kicking. It might be a worth while investment to pick one up for future 30m spool compatibility.
It wouldn't surprise me if Daiwa just slapped something together for promotional purposes. I am reminded of the new Morethan on the Daiwa Jp page and how the spool shown was a poorly painted over SV spool. (like with a brush and black paint with the SV still visible)

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:44 pm

The Steez does not appear to be significantly smaller is size compared to the current SV TW. The new version is only 5 grams lighter according to the specs. I reckon I will have to see the two side by side to compare.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:02 pm

daiwafan wrote:The Steez does not appear to be significantly smaller is size compared to the current SV TW. The new version is only 5 grams lighter according to the specs. I reckon I will have to see the two side by side to compare.
I was a little surprised to see this too. CT is 5.3oz versus 5.5oz for the current offering. I figured it'd be a sub 5oz reel when it was all said and done.. I'd like to see a side by side as well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
LowRange wrote:I thought the Alphas CT SV 70 was a joke. I guess it is real. It looks like a regular Alphas with spacers to use the 30m spool from the Steez CT. I don't see how the reel is an Alphas CT though. It's a good old platform though so it is good to see it still kicking. It might be a worth while investment to pick one up for future 30m spool compatibility.
It wouldn't surprise me if Daiwa just slapped something together for promotional purposes. I am reminded of the new Morethan on the Daiwa Jp page and how the spool shown was a poorly painted over SV spool. (like with a brush and black paint with the SV still visible)
Wasn't that the new Red tune?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Any more info on the Millionaire? I think the new Steez and Alphas are certainly interesting but will wait to pass judgement until I see/handle them. Now a small size round reel really interests me.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:47 pm

timinmo wrote:Any more info on the Millionaire? I think the new Steez and Alphas are certainly interesting but will wait to pass judgement until I see/handle them. Now a small size round reel really interests me.
I'd like to know as well. It looks sharp in that pic. 2nd coming of the CV-Z 103 Millionaire?

Edit: I see it also has similar spool spacers as the Alphas CT. 30m spool Millionaire maybe.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:53 pm

The CT Steez is pretty small. For sure smaller than the SV TW. The Millionaire looks hot.
FB_IMG_1545877399450.jpg
FB_IMG_1545877399450.jpg (16.54 KiB) Viewed 5362 times
FB_IMG_1545877638821.jpg
FB_IMG_1545877638821.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 5362 times

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:59 pm

I guess it's always cool to have something new, but that's their big thing? A smaller spool in reels identical to their predecessors?
This is the way.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wasn't that the new Red tune?

You are correct sir!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 pm

poisonokie wrote:I guess it's always cool to have something new, but that's their big thing? A smaller spool in reels identical to their predecessors?
With the Alphas, yes. It's a no go for me. The Steez is obviously quite a bit smaller, and aimed at finesse duties. How finesse will it be is the question, being the SV TW - especially the high ratio with the 1012 spool will already handle 1/8 oz with relative ease. Nobody knows if the Millionaire has also been shrunk. If no, then yeah, dumb move. If it has, I'm definitely in.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Alphas CT 70 SV is being released before the Shimano 50/70 revamp. I am really excited to see an updated Alphas. One of my favorite reels, the non disengaging levelwind makes me always smile. I am glad to drop $300 max, normally spending $250 area on those reels; hard to justify a Steez CT SV TW when a Steez A with spool upgrade does all I need and more.