What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:29 am

LowRange wrote:Maybe a Zillion based on the Steez A trickling down with brass gears and Magforce 3D.

That reel with Steez ergonomics and sturdier construction with brass gears would sound good!

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Will the Steez SV TW in the 8 gear be coming to the US market?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:02 pm

Scuba Scott wrote:Will the Steez SV TW in the 8 gear be coming to the US market?
Probably not. Evidently, the US doesn't like shallow spools

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Scuba Scott wrote:Will the Steez SV TW in the 8 gear be coming to the US market?
Probably not. Evidently, the US doesn't like shallow spools
This. Every promo vid I have seen about a Lews or other brand marketed at the USDM goes on about line capacity and how the spool "holds mo liiiiiine". This is apparently a talking point. It is as if spools are useless things that just hold line. Obviously deeper is better.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:06 pm

I like that Japan keeps certain items to themselves (at least for a period of time). It brings a sense of exclusivity when you obtain one of these items. Granted there are several drawbacks..warranty being the biggest I suppose, not being able to handle a product before purchase, the wait, the possibility of getting hit with a customs fee, ect..

Most rods are out of the question unless you want to pay a premium (primarily for shipping). Reels on the other hand can be had often times for a lower price than you might be able to buy it for in the US if it were available. For instance, a Steex SV TW 1012 XH can be had for less than I can buy it retail in the US if it were available. $469 plus $20 shipping from a reputable dealer. If I get hit with customs fees, I'm overboard, but that's the chance to take. There are many reels that fall into this price break catagory that can be had.

Again, I understand why many people would like to see these items stateside. I just wish more Japanese Proshops would ship to the US. Everyone knows all of the common ones, but there are some gem ProShops that have been unwilling to date in dealings with US customers. And many of them have real goods.

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jkitchens » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 am

I wish Daiwa would do something, they’ve lost me as a customer as far as new reels go. There’s nothing in their lineup that makes me want to buy a new reel. I still own plenty of pixies / Alphas but a new Alphas would be awesome!
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:41 am

Jkitchens wrote:I wish Daiwa would do something, they’ve lost me as a customer as far as new reels go. There’s nothing in their lineup that makes me want to buy a new reel. I still own plenty of pixies / Alphas but a new Alphas would be awesome!
Well, at least you got that New In Box Scorpion XT1000. :lol:
<")))><{

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:49 am

Jkitchens wrote:I wish Daiwa would do something, they’ve lost me as a customer as far as new reels go. There’s nothing in their lineup that makes me want to buy a new reel. I still own plenty of pixies / Alphas but a new Alphas would be awesome!
I feel there is room to make the Alphas smaller.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Lol, why? So Smurfs can use 'em?
This is the way.

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jkitchens » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:27 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Well, at least you got that New In Box Scorpion XT1000. :lol:
Yes! That’s two in the past month or so... I’ve been wanting a few but I was having a hard time trying to find some nice ones and BOOM!

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jkitchens » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:28 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
:lol: Might be cool if they could but they would definitely be tiny!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Jkitchens wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
:lol: Might be cool if they could but they would definitely be tiny!
Granted brakes may play a factor in smallest size possible but, the 12 Aldebaran BFS was tiny. The Alphas is kinda wide in comparison, not a big reel tbough.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
I like that Japan keeps certain items to themselves (at least for a period of time). It brings a sense of exclusivity when you obtain one of these items. Granted there are several drawbacks..warranty being the biggest I suppose, not being able to handle a product before purchase, the wait, the possibility of getting hit with a customs fee, ect..

Most rods are out of the question unless you want to pay a premium (primarily for shipping). Reels on the other hand can be had often times for a lower price than you might be able to buy it for in the US if it were available. For instance, a Steex SV TW 1012 XH can be had for less than I can buy it retail in the US if it were available. $469 plus $20 shipping from a reputable dealer. If I get hit with customs fees, I'm overboard, but that's the chance to take. There are many reels that fall into this price break catagory that can be had.

Again, I understand why many people would like to see these items stateside. I just wish more Japanese Proshops would ship to the US. Everyone knows all of the common ones, but there are some gem ProShops that have been unwilling to date in dealings with US customers. And many of them have real goods.
How can you avoid these fees? Had a great experience last few times with Digitaka but don't want some random customs charge...

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 pm

I was just told that Daiwa is perhaps coming out with a smaller, lighter version of the Steez SV TW. He didn't elaborate though. Perhaps a Type R? Tell us more SB!

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Daiwa Project T 2019 "begins" vid is out.