What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:43 am

joekaz wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
LowRange wrote:Imagewhat does a forensic anthropologist do on a daily basis

This thing. I thought it was an old Tatula at 1st because the top of the frame is so flat but has the Steez logo on the face plate. Looks to be some new Steez reel.
What's the time in the video on this screen shot?
My best shot was 1.11. Also check out 1.06 and 1.10. Everything happens so quick so I have to click the pause and play very fast to get a clear shot.
Maybe they should call it the Daiwa Tease
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:32 am

Yeah, project T equals project TEASE. No point in watching when you think a new piece of tech is coming then they literally change the handle nut cap and call it JDM. Makes me wonder if it is even a tease or the whole 2019 video series will be like that. Come on Daiwa.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:37 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Yeah, project T equals project TEASE. No point in watching when you think a new piece of tech is coming then they literally change the handle nut cap and call it JDM. Makes me wonder if it is even a tease or the whole 2019 video series will be like that. Come on Daiwa.
The rod is intereting though. Not quite Racing Design but, maybe we are getting closer???

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:04 am

They show the guy holding a sideplate at 1:10. It is some kind of new model sideplate, the dial is all the way at the bottom of it and the sideplate frame is molded around it, it also has a squared of point on it. Looks nothing like anything in production now.

They did announce a new Steez rod on the JP website. SC 661/M/MlFB-SV, looks to be a shorter version of the Harrier M/Ml. They actually have the rod for sale (pre-order) on a couple of websites.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:29 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:They show the guy holding a sideplate at 1:10. It is some kind of new model sideplate, the dial is all the way at the bottom of it and the sideplate frame is molded around it, it also has a squared of point on it. Looks nothing like anything in production now.

They did announce a new Steez rod on the JP website. SC 661/M/MlFB-SV, looks to be a shorter version of the Harrier M/Ml. They actually have the rod for sale (pre-order) on a couple of websites.
With the new lighter powered rod, the reel on the rod could be a shallow spool. Maybe between a 105 and SV Light capacity? Im hoping for a new Alphas frame, 8.1 and....a shallow spool. Oh...90mm on the 8.1 too

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:05 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:They show the guy holding a sideplate at 1:10. It is some kind of new model sideplate, the dial is all the way at the bottom of it and the sideplate frame is molded around it, it also has a squared of point on it. Looks nothing like anything in production now.

With the new lighter powered rod, the reel on the rod could be a shallow spool. Maybe between a 105 and SV Light capacity? Im hoping for a new Alphas frame, 8.1 and....a shallow spool. Oh...90mm on the 8.1 too
That would be great. Would love to see something with ratios like the Curado 70. Fast and faster. Maybe a little bit bigger gear box though. I could see a Steez SV TW105. My SV105 gears are fine, but pretty small and I do wonder about them. I also wonder what the future of Daiwa's Hyper Mesh gears are. Maybe they will trickle down but I figure it will be a few years. I wouldn't know what to do if Shimano updates the 70 (micro mod, MGL spool, extra drive shaft bearing, etc.) and Daiwa offers a 105/Alphas size (SV spool, 90mm handle, new body). Honestly now that I say all this, the Alphas was fine. I could easily have all Alphas (aside of big baits), all Steez A's (different spools), or all Zillion SV TW's. All pretty great reels already, but would love to see some fine adjustments...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Looks like slight modified Steez in this pic. You can see the mag dial protrude from the palming plate in the usual position but looks like it has a plastic lip around it. The plastic beneath the dial appears to be reduced or removed. Let's hope they didn't completely expose the mag dial like the Tatula 100.

A regular Steez TW for comparison

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:45 pm

LowRange wrote:Image

Looks like slight modified Steez in this pic. You can see the mag dial protrude from the palming plate in the usual position but looks like it has a plastic lip around it. The plastic beneath the dial appears to be reduced or removed. Let's hope they didn't completely expose the mag dial like the Tatula 100.

A regular Steez TW for comparison
I could be wrong but I don't think that is the mag dial. In one of my pause shots it looks like a contour. I still think the mag dial will be on the bottom. Also the first reel Brandon is casting looks longer than usual. Maybe they pushed the t wing out further from the spool to make it more effective.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:37 pm

That small lump looks like the plastic lip around the mag dial to me but it is hard to tell. Normally the Steez TW reels do not have this. The presence of this lip would indicate changes to the palming plate of the reel.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:17 pm

It gets old seeing Tatula and Steez frames as the only thing coming from Daiwa.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:47 pm

What's this blurry thing. It looks unlike any Daiwa on the market. They cleverly switch to a Tatula 100 in the next frames with the same background but that does not appear to be a Tatula 100.

Imagefallout frank horrigan

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:59 pm

LowRange wrote:What's this blurry thing. It looks unlike any Daiwa on the market. They cleverly switch to a Tatula 100 in the next frames with the same background but that does not appear to be a Tatula 100.

Odd looking reel in the second pic. Looks like the opposite of ergonomic.

The brake dial is definitely on the bottom.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
LowRange wrote:What's this blurry thing. It looks unlike any Daiwa on the market. They cleverly switch to a Tatula 100 in the next frames with the same background but that does not appear to be a Tatula 100.

Odd looking reel in the second pic. Looks like the opposite of ergonomic.

The brake dial is definitely on the bottom.
Look at the size of the hand though versus the reel... maybe that is. I just wish they'd let us know something in episode 2 instead of lame JDM Tatula 100 with the handle nut the US version SHOULD have had.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 am

If that is the brake dial on the bottom there, I wonder how the Japanese hold their reels? If I were palming the reel the brake dial would be bound to get adjusted accidentally by my fingers, as happens with the CT Tats. A Steez style sideplate looks like a much better design to me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:54 am

Tim Kelly wrote:If that is the brake dial on the bottom there, I wonder how the Japanese hold their reels? If I were palming the reel the brake dial would be bound to get adjusted accidentally by my fingers, as happens with the CT Tats. A Steez style sideplate looks like a much better design to me.
I was considering that for myself. I have smaller than normal hands and I wrap my whole hand around the reel. All my fingers are usually in front of the trigger.