What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by SSS » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
SSS wrote:
goldrod wrote:
SSS wrote:I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016
I want a Z1016

Hello? I want a Z1016! Would prefer a Magnesium model with brass gears weighting no more than 6.5oz. And i don't want a T wing on it. Leave the sexy looking frame as is.

Shimano gave you the bantam
No 3D brakes. Centrifugal brakes. Line guide too close to the spool making it a meh caster (from what i've heard that is). And most importantly above everything else, it doesn't support the steez 34mm spools which is a must for me because i swap spools a ton.

Bantam is not an answer :(
The Bantam is a quality reel...and thats coming from a Daiwa guy. I think the line guide is kinda a moot point because the heavier lures somewhat negate the friction.

Now, if the Z1016 you speak of comes about, that will be nice.
It is a good reel, but not a replacement for my dream 1016.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:31 pm

I think the Steez A might be the closest thing we get to a Z1016

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 am

Ok what is weight of Steez CT spool?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am

MardukFIN wrote:Ok what is weight of Steez CT spool?
Alphas CT SV is 9.4g with bearing, the steez will be here by the end of the week so I'll see if they have the same spool or not.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:17 am

ss30378 wrote:
Alphas CT SV is 9.4g with bearing, the steez will be here by the end of the week so I'll see if they have the same spool or not.
There's some spacers in Alphas, right?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 am

MardukFIN wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Yes, to reduce it from the stock 33mm down to 30mm for the new spool. Also, I think the spool is slightly narrower than other Alphas spools, or it appears that way. Steve will chime in shortly for confirmation.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
MardukFIN wrote:
ss30378 wrote:
Yes, to reduce it from the stock 33mm down to 30mm for the new spool. Also, I think the spool is slightly narrower than other Alphas spools, or it appears that way. Steve will chime in shortly for confirmation.
Yes there are spacers for the 30mm spool, one is on the palm side set plate (similar to the air reels) and the other is on the frame. The new spool and spool shaft are quite a bit more narrow. I haven't compared parts to the stock sv105 yet but I'm leaning to a new pinion shaft and maybe even new pinion gear design to make this work. I put the 30mm spool in the pixy and it slides all around.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:31 pm

Does the levelwind travel a little less far to each side to compensate for the narrower spool?

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:Does the levelwind travel a little less far to each side to compensate for the narrower spool?
Indeed it does.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:09 pm

I feel bad to complain, and I know it is an easy fix, but do the 80mm handles only bother me??? I enjoyed my SS/SV and Alphas SV so much more with 100mm/90mm respectively. I do think that the Steez A was better suited with a stock 90mm (used on Alphas), but the Tatula HD handle I added with the bigger Ryoga style knobs fit the Steez A great.

My question on these new CT reels is whether the basic Daiwa style 90mm handles will work, the lock plate design is a bit different and it had me confused.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:42 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I feel bad to complain, and I know it is an easy fix, but do the 80mm handles only bother me??? I enjoyed my SS/SV and Alphas SV so much more with 100mm/90mm respectively. I do think that the Steez A was better suited with a stock 90mm (used on Alphas), but the Tatula HD handle I added with the bigger Ryoga style knobs fit the Steez A great.

My question on these new CT reels is whether the basic Daiwa style 90mm handles will work, the lock plate design is a bit different and it had me confused.
Pretty much any Daiwa handle will work. I also dont like the 80mm handles for anything besides BFS. Wil skim on a handle to save weight???
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:48 am

need a lineup that competes well with the tranx. not impressed with the lexa line what so ever.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:54 pm

What is this?!

Body match with CT Steez but colour doesn't?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuwOYjEFj7V ... UcEC2htoaU

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:17 pm

MardukFIN wrote:What is this?!

Body match with CT Steez but colour doesn't?!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuwOYjEFj7V ... UcEC2htoaU

I'm going to be really peaved if the US version is Jet Black and I already hoofed a JDM with 4 different shades of grey.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I feel bad to complain, and I know it is an easy fix, but do the 80mm handles only bother me??? I enjoyed my SS/SV and Alphas SV so much more with 100mm/90mm respectively. I do think that the Steez A was better suited with a stock 90mm (used on Alphas), but the Tatula HD handle I added with the bigger Ryoga style knobs fit the Steez A great.

A lot of us prefer 80mm handles for bottom contact work so we can get a quicker handle rotation and get line in faster. 90mm+ for torque applications.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm