What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's REALLY next for Daiwa

Post by poisonokie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:07 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Some technologies start to level off. Sure there are breakthroughs that jump way above expectations, but some things stay leveled off. I think reels are approaching this point. You can only go so light and cast so far whilst still having enough strength and rigidity to stay smooth after years of fighting fish.

Something I think about is television's picture quality. You can only go to such a resolution before it literally looks like you are there, and it's getting close. So then they can only go bigger or start using virtual reality to give us something "better".
No doubt they'll still tinker with new materials as it becomes feasible. Carbon nano tubes, graphene, new alloys, etc.

As for TV's... Holography, baby!
This is the way.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:50 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:Some more new stuff beginning to trickle out:

New Lexa spinning. Looks like some nice tech trickle down. http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/re ... index.html

And refreshed steez baitcast rods http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/new_item/index.html
I'm really hoping they bring some of the Jdm Steez Ags designs to NA. I have a feeling it's only in my dreams though :( The steez ags rods in NA fish amazingly good but that bland blue/black design is #$%@₩.... Daiwa really needs to up their rod game, now that Zillion/Steez Xt are discontinued, and majority of Steez non-ags rods are damn old now.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:19 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:I would like to see a bfs version of the Steez A with 32mm spool like the SV Light. There currently isn't anything in their BFS range with t wing. Then maybe a Steez A HD with brass gears and back up antireverse pawl. And if they added a back up antireverse pawl and hyper digigears to the new 2018 Zillion HD it would be perfect for big fish.
2018 Zillion HD with all that would be unstoppable. Wonder when Daiwa last used a dual anti reverse system. Also wonder what the future of the hyper digigears are, they won't stay in the Ryoga alone I hope. Someone mentioned an updated Steez SV TW, that shocked me a bit.
Z2020 and Lexa 300 have dual antireverse.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 am

What about the offset reel seats, like on the Steez BC models. Like to see them available on a few other ranges. Here in Oz we got them on the AirPortable series of BC rods.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:57 am

MardukFIN wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
BARRAMANIAC wrote:I would like to see a bfs version of the Steez A with 32mm spool like the SV Light. There currently isn't anything in their BFS range with t wing. Then maybe a Steez A HD with brass gears and back up antireverse pawl. And if they added a back up antireverse pawl and hyper digigears to the new 2018 Zillion HD it would be perfect for big fish.
2018 Zillion HD with all that would be unstoppable. Wonder when Daiwa last used a dual anti reverse system. Also wonder what the future of the hyper digigears are, they won't stay in the Ryoga alone I hope. Someone mentioned an updated Steez SV TW, that shocked me a bit.
Z2020 and Lexa 300 have dual antireverse.
The Lexa 100 has a back-up pawl, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:45 am

In the Project T Begins vid, Brandon Palaniuk is casting a reel that I haven't seen before.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:37 pm

joekaz wrote:In the Project T Begins vid, Brandon Palaniuk is casting a reel that I haven't seen before.
I assumed it was just the predictable Tatula 100 SV, which will inevitably come out.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:
joekaz wrote:In the Project T Begins vid, Brandon Palaniuk is casting a reel that I haven't seen before.
I assumed it was just the predictable Tatula 100 SV, which will inevitably come out.
My thoughts as well

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:37 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tim Kelly wrote:
My thoughts as well
But when I hit the pause button while he is casting the reel, I can not see a mag dial like on the Tatula.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 pm

joekaz wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tim Kelly wrote:
My thoughts as well
But when I hit the pause button while he is casting the reel, I can not see a mag dial like on the Tatula.
Also noticed he is holding a palm side plate that looks new. Looks like a partially covered mag dial.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Hopefully they're adopting the steez style palming plate then for the zillion, as they've done with some JDM models, on the next series US zillions.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 pm

joekaz wrote:
joekaz wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tim Kelly wrote:
My thoughts as well
Also noticed he is holding a palm side plate that looks new. Looks like a partially covered mag dial.
Looks pretty big. Maybe it is just a new Zillion HD. That would be a bummer. Really excited to see who drives my next casting reel purchase. Going to be tough if Shimano has a finesse oriented reel and Daiwa gives an updated Zillion. Wouldn't be so tough if Daiwa made a new smaller, finesse oriented Alphas style though...

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Hopefully they're adopting the steez style palming plate then for the zillion, as they've done with some JDM models, on the next series US zillions.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:Hopefully they're adopting the steez style palming plate then for the zillion, as they've done with some JDM models, on the next series US zillions.
The side plate that Brandon is holding in the video does not look like the Steez TW side plate. I think it is a new design.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:47 pm

joekaz wrote:
joekaz wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tim Kelly wrote:
My thoughts as well

Check out middle of three frames around 1:08. Right at that point looks like a “regular” exposed round mag dial by his pointer finger, which for some reason is not discernible earlier at around 1:06 when he’s mid cast. That’s my detective work. I don’t know maybe I’m seeing things.