New small spinning reel - high-end Shimano, high-end Daiwa, or Van Staal?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
biggiesmalls
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New small spinning reel - high-end Shimano, high-end Daiwa, or Van Staal?

Post by biggiesmalls » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a new spinning reel for everyday inshore fishing. Something light enough to still throw 1/4 ounce pompano/bonefish jigs, yet heavy enough to take snook from the mangroves.
I'll be using it mostly from the boat, but from the beach often as well for pompano jigs, snook, and reef species in the Pacific.

I'm looking for something that's a blend of corrosion resistant, smooth, lightweight, and overall a "tough" reel for the saltwater environment. I want something I will take care of but I certainly won't have to baby, that I know will last me for a long time.
Looking for something the size of a Shimano 4000/Daiwa 3000/Van Staal 50.

Between the Daiwa Exist, Certate, Luvias, Ballistic LT, Fuego LT, Saltist Back Bay, Saltist, Shimano Stella FJ, Twin Power XD, Exsence, Sustain, Stradic, Stradic Ci4, and the Van Staal VR50 - what would you choose that fits the bill?

Off the bat it may seem like the Exist/Stella would be the best choice, but how would these hold up in the saltwater? Perhaps one of the other models would be better as they might prioritize toughness while still maintaining a light, smooth platform?

Thanks for any suggestion,
Drew

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New small spinning reel - high-end Shimano, high-end Daiwa, or Van Staal?

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:01 pm

If you're going to be super careful with it and wash and dry it after every trip, absolutely not dunk it etc, then choose your poison. Otherwise the Van Staal. The VS won't be anywhere near as nice to use, but will last.

fishingkat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingkat » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:28 pm

I would not pick the sustain or stradics. I 've broken the ideal gear twice by just micro jigging (no fish on)

Certate or twinpower is what I d chose. I don't know about VS reels so I can't say.

biggiesmalls
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by biggiesmalls » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:18 am

Looking through the Shimano/Daiwa options, I know that I want something with the LT technology in it if I end up with a Daiwa. That eliminates the Saltist, Luvias, and Certate. The Saltist BB and Fuego LT come in heavier than I'd prefer, considering I can get a lighter reel for a slight price increase. So it comes down to the Exist and the Ballistic LT from Daiwa.

From Shimano, the offerings don't feature anything close to the LT system. There are tough reels, there are light reels - but there aren't any that combine these two. None of the reels come close to the weight of the Ballistic or the Exist. The Ci4 doesn't seem tough enough to me - I don't like that it doesn't have a metal body. The Stradic is missing the X-Protect, Shimano's version of waterproofing. The Twin Power doesn't have sealed bearings, and the Exsence doesn't have the cross-carbon drag system found in the other high-end reels. That leaves the Stella and the Sustain. Both have their ups and downs at different price points.

Comparing Exist and Stella - to me, the Exist comes out slightly on top. Magseal technology is the main advantage here, but it's lighter too. It looks like it's more built to last than built to be a showpiece. Using it in the salt, the Exist seems to be the smarter choice.

Comparing Ballistic and Sustain - well, doesn't really matter at this point. It doesn't make sense for me to step way back down to the lower reel if I can afford the top-of-the-line reel. This is a tool that I'll be using 4 or 5 days a week for snook, jacks, tripletail, sheepshead, mangrove snapper, pompano, trout, redfish, and other inshore stuff. It'll come with me to the Pacific for bonefish, bluefin trevally, and various small reef species. It'll even come offshore for yellowtail/cero/light mutton/mangrove duty.
On a Yamaga custom with some high-end braid like Varivas or Tasline - this will be the new go-to setup for years to come.
Drew

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:36 am

The Tournament SS series from Daiwa ticks all of your boxes and will be in service long after the rest have whimpered out. Seriously, very few spinners can claim the same durability / reliability track record of these. The fact that it's been in continuous production for over 30 years ought to tell you something. It's the Terminator of spinning reels, just try and kill it, I dare you 8-)

No, they're not ultra lightweight modern 'lots of bearings' reels made from exotic materials and a bunch of hyperbole ridden descriptions on the box. They do what a spinner needs to do extremely well and nothing more. If you place performance above all else then it deserves at least a second look.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:03 pm

I’m personally going to try the Excense

Reviews seem positive

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:23 pm

Exist is super light and smooth, as long as the budget is there. It was my choice even sold off my Shimano Cardiff to offset my purchase.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 am

Have you looked at the Saltiga BJ's? They have a 3500 and 4000 size. Not sure if it's too big for you. They cost slightly less than then Exists, and... well... it's a Saltiga.