What's next for Shimano???

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What's next for Shimano???

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 am

domthewon wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
domthewon wrote:There is a new Shimano SLX mgl 70 size reel posted on digitaka.
297DAC2D-E9EC-425B-A4C3-433AF623D341.jpeg
https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=4969363040503
This particular reel should be a great seller. I will tell you that after finding a killer deal on the SLX, I bit and purchased one. Its a cool little reel. And I mean "little". After I tuned it, it has been just a blast to use. I use it for my lighter applications as the build doesnt seem like a good fit for heavy braid and tearing up heavy cover. With 10lb test mono, it does great for tossing lighter t rigs, or topwaters. With that MGL spool, and adjustable settings with the brake, this one should be really nice. I would get the MGL version myself, but dont have a need for it considering I have enough reels for what the MGL would be good for. If MSRP was $100 I would consider it.
Thanks for the input.I had a feeling that reel was gonna be good for the $. Shimano and Daiwa have been stepping it up in the more budget friendly reels. All the new reels around $100-$200 are so good for the price. For some reason I have it in my head that if these new $100 reels are this good their $500 reels must be even better. ](*,) They are, but the gap in performance is getting much closer and and harder to justify for me.
Dom
Meh, I wouldnt go that far. You how sometimes it seems you just are paying for the name....
<")))><{

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
domthewon wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
This particular reel should be a great seller. I will tell you that after finding a killer deal on the SLX, I bit and purchased one. Its a cool little reel. And I mean "little". After I tuned it, it has been just a blast to use. I use it for my lighter applications as the build doesnt seem like a good fit for heavy braid and tearing up heavy cover. With 10lb test mono, it does great for tossing lighter t rigs, or topwaters. With that MGL spool, and adjustable settings with the brake, this one should be really nice. I would get the MGL version myself, but dont have a need for it considering I have enough reels for what the MGL would be good for. If MSRP was $100 I would consider it.
Thanks for the input.I had a feeling that reel was gonna be good for the $. Shimano and Daiwa have been stepping it up in the more budget friendly reels. All the new reels around $100-$200 are so good for the price. For some reason I have it in my head that if these new $100 reels are this good their $500 reels must be even better. ](*,) They are, but the gap in performance is getting much closer and and harder to justify for me.
Dom
Meh, I wouldnt go that far. You how sometimes it seems you just are paying for the name....
Kinda what I was saying that the gap in performance from a $100 reel to the $300-500 isn’t far off and your getting a lot of bang for the buck out of the budget reels now, and aren’t gonna be getting much more out of a reel twice the cost if anything in some cases.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:54 am

domthewon wrote:Kinda what I was saying that the gap in performance from a $100 reel to the $300-500 isn’t far off and your getting a lot of bang for the buck out of the budget reels now, and aren’t gonna be getting much more out of a reel twice the cost if anything in some cases.
Curado, tatula, now the SLX...spend the savings on rods lol

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:47 pm

domthewon wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
domthewon wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Dom
Kinda what I was saying that the gap in performance from a $100 reel to the $300-500 isn’t far off and your getting a lot of bang for the buck out of the budget reels now, and aren’t gonna be getting much more out of a reel twice the cost if anything in some cases.
Very true. Sometimes its minor internal part compounds, or external things like anodized parts, or carbon fiber handles. Its not like it used to be, to an extent. Now, it seems like, lets say for Daiwa, you pay to get that "spool" option. Like the Tatula vs the Zillion SV for an example. As far as Shimano, well, I have no clue how to compare them. It seems some cheaper reels have more metal parts than the higher end stuff. Really confuses me sometimes.
<")))><{

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Hopefully less additional options in regard to "brake tuning". Those dials or what ever are for the birds. I find those to be quite annoying. I'm sure I'm in the minor on that one. I sold my 13' Metanium and other early applicable models during this era that included that useless added brake adjustment mechanism doodad. But we all know marketing :roll: Anyway here's to hoping, in the meantime the older platforms get plenty of work 8-)

hokiehi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hokiehi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 am

Cristo wrote:Hopefully less additional options in regard to "brake tuning". Those dials or what ever are for the birds. I find those to be quite annoying. I'm sure I'm in the minor on that one. I sold my 13' Metanium and other early applicable models during this era that included that useless added brake adjustment mechanism doodad. But we all know marketing :roll: Anyway here's to hoping, in the meantime the older platforms get plenty of work 8-)
I can see why you wouldn't like the brake tuning, having to take the time to adjust the dial when I just want to fish is absolutely one of the downsides to this system for me. But I also like having the option of turning down braking because sometimes the reel just feels over-braked and held back.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:09 am

Just go back and read all the whining about not having an outside way of brake adjustment. That was a big dig daiwa fanboys had on shimano.

Also you dont have to use that dial, you know, just leave it set at 6 and use the internal tabs just like on VBS of old. Its that simple but may not be simple enough for some it seems. ](*,)

The current SVS is definitely an improvement(performance and convenience) for those with the casting skills to take advantage of the technology. Those that cant say its marketing.

dwong
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by dwong » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:59 am

I like the way Shimano does the external brake controls. With the way I palm my reels, the daiwa dials tend to shift a few clicks on things like hooksets. I personally like having external brake adjustments

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:10 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE your statement is not holding water :lol: "for those with the casting skills to take advantage of the technology. Those that cant say its marketing."

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Go read the latest TT review on the SLX what did it get dinged repeatedly for yep no outside brake adjustment.
http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanoslxreelpg3.html
"The only downside to the SLX’s ergonomics is that the VBS cast control adjustment, and like many other legacy Shimano baitcasters, must be adjusted internally. Most anglers will simply “set and forget” the VBS brakes, but for those that like to make adjustments in the field popping open the non-handle sideplate is just one extra step that takes time away from fishing.?"
Most complaints come from those that want the set and forget of the VBS on the old reel so as to use 2 blocks and be laxed on their casting skills. Then when going to new system and they cant control the spool blame the system not themselves.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:31 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Go read the latest TT review on the SLX what did it get dinged repeatedly for yep no outside brake adjustment.
"The only downside to the SLX’s ergonomics is that the VBS cast control adjustment, and like many other legacy Shimano baitcasters, must be adjusted internally. Most anglers will simply “set and forget” the VBS brakes, but for those that like to make adjustments in the field popping open the non-handle sideplate is just one extra step that takes time away from fishing.?"
Most complaints come from those that want the set and forget of the VBS on the old reel so as to use 2 blocks and be laxed on their casting skills. Then when going to new system and they cant control the spool blame the system not themselves.

Quoting and highlighting an opionionated review (aren't all) doesnt make it anymore factual than what it is, an opinion. Although we all like TT reviews, it doesnt mean it's the gospel. Cristo went out of his way to suggest his opinion is probobly in the minor. Plus he is the best GIF'er on TT. My personal preference is an outside dial and the one on the new Antares looks stellar. (this coming from a Daiwa guy). As for dWong's reference to Daiwa's perpetually moving dial, he is right to an extent. My HLC and TAT will move with regular use which is very annoying. My Battler and Morethan are much more solid and don't budge unless I want them to move. I'll also add that the current Steez dial placement and access is horrible and the bottom mount on the CT SV TW doesn't look much better.
I think ideally, a design would be made by both manufacturers that does not require opening the sideplate (unless you are changing a spool) and does not have a sideplate dial, but could still be adjusted exclusivly with the non handle sideplate dial. (maybe like the Z-pride?)
Anyway, as a prospective 1st time Shimano reel user that's my two cents.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:36 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Go read the latest TT review on the SLX what did it get dinged repeatedly for yep no outside brake adjustment.

Quoting and highlighting an opionionated review (aren't all) doesnt make it anymore factual than what it is, an opinion. Although we all like TT reviews, it doesnt mean it's the gospel. Cristo went out of his way to suggest his opinion is probobly in the minor. Plus he is the best GIF'er on TT. My personal preference is an outside dial and the one on the new Antares looks stellar. (this coming from a Daiwa guy). As for dWong's reference to Daiwa's perpetually moving dial, he is right to an extent. My HLC and TAT will move with regular use which is very annoying. My Battler and Morethan are much more solid and don't budge unless I want them to move. I'll also add that the current Steez dial placement and access is horrible and the bottom mount on the CT SV TW doesn't look much better.
I think ideally, a design would be made by both manufacturers that does not require opening the sideplate (unless you are changing a spool) and does not have a sideplate dial, but could still be adjusted exclusivly with the non handle sideplate dial. (maybe like the Z-pride?)
Anyway, as a prospective 1st time Shimano reel user that's my two cents.
It is a fact that not having an outer dial is being pointed out as a fault. And it is a fact that many faulted prior VBS reels for not having that option. If there is any merit to the fault is the opinion.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:04 pm

I can personally go without the exterior dial. I had no problems setting VBS to cast. As a matter of fact, my VBS Shimanos cast better than my SVS one.
<")))><{

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:42 pm

I wish they would have the optional cover for that dial. Less chance for other debris to get and collect in them. Even if it's fish slime.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish