2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 am

domthewon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:35 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 am
I have recently leveled mine up a bit for my swimbait game. Morethan necessary? Absolutely.
Nice! It looks good with that varial!
Thanks. DRT USA is allowing me a to beat the auction site wannabe capitalists. Have to catch them when supplies are in however.

domthewon
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:49 am

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by domthewon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:53 am
domthewon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:35 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 am
I have recently leveled mine up a bit for my swimbait game. Morethan necessary? Absolutely.
Nice! It looks good with that varial!
Thanks. DRT USA is allowing me a to beat the auction site wannabe capitalists. Have to catch them when supplies are in however.
Absolutely! Stupidly overpriced if you don't get it direct.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 am
I have recently leveled mine up a bit for my swimbait game. Morethan necessary? Absolutely.
=D> Looks like a sports car with rims and low profile tires

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5441
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Jkitchens wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:04 am
Got mine in, I think it needs a CF handle...BC4ACD67-9ADB-484F-9B1E-0DD78E1C99EB.jpeg9AFF0805-077A-4B0A-A5BD-8B3B1A8821B8.jpeg
That looks great, James! =D> I was wondering if you were gonna post those pics!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Denison TX

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Jkitchens » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm
Jkitchens wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:04 am
Got mine in, I think it needs a CF handle...BC4ACD67-9ADB-484F-9B1E-0DD78E1C99EB.jpeg9AFF0805-077A-4B0A-A5BD-8B3B1A8821B8.jpeg
That looks great, James! =D> I was wondering if you were gonna post those pics!
Thanks Tim! I think I need another one... :lol:
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5441
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Jkitchens wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm
Jkitchens wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:04 am
Got mine in, I think it needs a CF handle...BC4ACD67-9ADB-484F-9B1E-0DD78E1C99EB.jpeg9AFF0805-077A-4B0A-A5BD-8B3B1A8821B8.jpeg
That looks great, James! =D> I was wondering if you were gonna post those pics!
Thanks Tim! I think I need another one... :lol:
Send that one to me and you will have a legit excuse to get another one....problem solved! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Denison TX

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Jkitchens » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:00 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:30 pm
Jkitchens wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:23 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 pm
Jkitchens wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:04 am
Got mine in, I think it needs a CF handle...BC4ACD67-9ADB-484F-9B1E-0DD78E1C99EB.jpeg9AFF0805-077A-4B0A-A5BD-8B3B1A8821B8.jpeg
That looks great, James! =D> I was wondering if you were gonna post those pics!
Thanks Tim! I think I need another one... :lol:
Send that one to me and you will have a legit excuse to get another one....problem solved! :lol:
:lol: Maybe one of these days buddy!
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

User avatar
Mdmel
Angler
Angler
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:19 am
Contact:

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Mdmel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:28 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:15 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 am
jrk wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 am
As stated, I do like this reel, but I'm not used to something so limited in line capacity and so small...pain in the a** to get my fingers on the spool adjustment behind the drag star as well as adjusting the mag dial, but it will cast I believe better than my previous Calais usage. Definitely more "twitchy" than my Coastal, but that is most likely due to it's intended design and ability to throw smaller lures.
If they produced a 200 sized version of this, I suspect it would be my perfect reel. And to clarify my expressed opinions...my happy place is hunting big reds on the shallow flats in open water. With this, as the water heats up and the summer starts getting late, these fish get spooky. This is where drama free distance is a requirement of mine. I'll use this Morethan for my large and smallmouth hunts, but if they ever made a larger size, I'd pick it up quickly.
Some of the points made here are a few of the reasons that I think the OG Morethan is a better overall reel for a lot of people, especially if you are actually using it for salt applications. (see page 1 rant) I recognize some of the benifits the new Morethan offered, and there is no doubt it is a sweet black and gold Steez A. On the other hand, th new Daiwa Coastal is a complete joke in my opinion. (I don't care what frame it's built on) At $250 for the new Coastal, I would be looking for a gently used OG Morethan instead for the same price or slightly more. The pinnicle currently for Daiwa would still be the Battler 1520 and a bonus with a HLC Deep Spool.
Also, for those who actually use these in Salt, like you sir, don't be afraid to find and use a high quality Japanese 1.5 or 2 size PE Varivas Seabass is a great option. Just make sure you have your leader knot game on point especially if your going to a 30 or 40# leader with the small PE.
And KV Damn...when the wind get's blowing 25-30, grab a spinning rod!

So you feel like the new morethan is basically the same as the steez A just different color?
Well, no..I was bieng a little facetious. The Morethan PE SV has more features, (some that are really important to people) you can see the differences here. If I had to pick between the two, I would go with the Morethan PE SV, (only if I had a gold accented rod..haha) I still hate the sideplate and dial on both reels..personal preference.
More brass, more CRRB's, more aluminum, faster level wind, same capacity spool but with different charactaristics, 100mm handle

https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/steez-a-tw

https://daiwafishing.com.au/collections ... than-pe-tw
Hello, I just registered to the forum.
I’m actually an exsence dc owner but has some line digging problems on the narrow spool.

Also dc sound is gone , dunno what the error is but I’ll send to the service.

I’ve been looking for Morethan pe baitcasting reels for some time ( for seabass saltwater ) but I can’t decide over 2018 pe sv or 2019 pe tw model?

I know the new one has atd vs utd ( 2018 )
But I’d like to know about the spool and brake difference especially for headwind situations since I’m a seabass adventurer..

Which one should I prefer 2018 sv or 2019 tw?
Last edited by Mdmel on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5441
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Magforce Z is hard to beat in the wind. It had a wider range of control and finer adjustment than most reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Fran87
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:35 am

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Fran87 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 am
I have recently leveled mine up a bit for my swimbait game. Morethan necessary? Absolutely.
WOW What a beast!!!!

I'm looking for swimbait reel also but morethan it's maybe too fast, other options I'm considering are Antares DC MD (also seems too fast) or Ryoga SLPW... I don't know if morethan 7.1 would do it the work well with 3oz swimbaits...

Thanks a lot.

User avatar
Mdmel
Angler
Angler
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:19 am
Contact:

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Mdmel » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:09 am

maybe check abu garcia compact shooter or revo beast series.. @Fran87

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 952
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:04 am

Fran87 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:21 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 am
I have recently leveled mine up a bit for my swimbait game. Morethan necessary? Absolutely.
WOW What a beast!!!!

I'm looking for swimbait reel also but morethan it's maybe too fast, other options I'm considering are Antares DC MD (also seems too fast) or Ryoga SLPW... I don't know if morethan 7.1 would do it the work well with 3oz swimbaits...

Thanks a lot.
The gear ratio is not a problem with 3 oz swimbaits imo. I am more concerned with line capacity and reel size and would check Ryoga 1520 or similar sized newer JDM Zillions (or equivalent Shimanos)...

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 am

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by bbates3 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:51 am

ImageUntitled by , on Flickr


i must of been living under a rock

first of i am sure a few more

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:11 pm

Fran87 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:21 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 am
I have recently leveled mine up a bit for my swimbait game. Morethan necessary? Absolutely.
WOW What a beast!!!!

I'm looking for swimbait reel also but morethan it's maybe too fast, other options I'm considering are Antares DC MD (also seems too fast) or Ryoga SLPW... I don't know if morethan 7.1 would do it the work well with 3oz swimbaits...

Thanks a lot.
Thanks. This reel is a beast. I’ve had no trouble with up to 3 oz plastic or glides. But I usually fish ‘transitional’ big baits (less than 3 oz). I’ve dumped in deeper spools (1016) and have ca. 80-100 m line capacity depending on line size. I don’t try or need to dump the spool with that much line and with how I’m fishing. I also like the 8.6. About half revolution quick spins of the handle in a 1..2 or 1...2...3 cadence really darts a glide and triggers strikes.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:01 am

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:26 am

bbates3 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:51 am
ImageUntitled by , on Flickr


i must of been living under a rock

first of i am sure a few more
Yeah, I said the same exact thing when I opened mine recently. Great feeling reel.

Post Reply