2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2019 Daiwa Morethan PE 1000 TW

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 am

Someone had a new lefty model on eBay for $299

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:43 am

jrk wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 am
domthewon wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:21 am
jrk wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:49 pm
I'm new to the Daiwa offerings for the most part. Picked up this reel and was shocked at how small it was, but that's me coming from many years using one of original Calais DC's for fresh. I'm curious about the post above that indicates using a steez A spool in this reel. This would add more line capacity and still offer good casting distance?
For me the spools act very similar in the morethan. I only use them to cast for distance not for controlled skipping or anything like that. I use the one with the steez a spool for a little extra capacity. With a frog on I can spool the stock spool on any cast. With the steez a I have a little extra backing left over unless I really go hard with 50lb braid.
Thanks. I'm going to look into finding a Steez A spool then. I like this reel, but only wish it was a little larger for my fishing...like a 200 sized I guess.
Just to let you know I threw this reel with the steez a spool on my 6’9” Sedition Hooligan that I use as a frog rod yesterday. I’ve thrown it before but been limited on casting distance available due to fishing smaller ponds near my house most recently. I went out to the delta and bombs away. I had to turn the brakes on the morethan down about 2 or 3 notches so the spool would have the same action. Seems like the Steez A spool doesn’t need to be heavily braked and is slightly more controlled than the stock spool. With the brakes turned down a little I was getting all the casting distance I was looking for. I guess the morethan spool is slightly more free, but like I said once adjusted the line flew off the steez a spool just as good as the morethan spool. I don’t know how much more line the Steez spool holds, but I do know I wasn’t getting down to the electrical tape holding my braid like I can with the stock spool. I would also state that the distance I was able to cast was much farther than my effective and comfortable hook setting range and wouldn’t be casting as far as I was and actually expect to hook up with a fish using a frog. Just testing purposes.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Just ordered from Japan Lure Shop. Felt it was a good deal and they always throw you a free lure or two.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:21 am
Someone had a new lefty model on eBay for $299
Gone- bummer.....
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:38 am

I recently bought a steez A and then started thinking maybe I should have picked up the morethan instead. After reading this it seems like the morethan is better in the 8.6 ratio and it's a wash in the lower gear ratios. Is that still how most of you feel (those who have used both)?

I do like the way the morethan looks better.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 am

domthewon wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:43 am
jrk wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 am
domthewon wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:21 am
jrk wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:49 pm
I'm new to the Daiwa offerings for the most part. Picked up this reel and was shocked at how small it was, but that's me coming from many years using one of original Calais DC's for fresh. I'm curious about the post above that indicates using a steez A spool in this reel. This would add more line capacity and still offer good casting distance?
For me the spools act very similar in the morethan. I only use them to cast for distance not for controlled skipping or anything like that. I use the one with the steez a spool for a little extra capacity. With a frog on I can spool the stock spool on any cast. With the steez a I have a little extra backing left over unless I really go hard with 50lb braid.
Thanks. I'm going to look into finding a Steez A spool then. I like this reel, but only wish it was a little larger for my fishing...like a 200 sized I guess.
Just to let you know I threw this reel with the steez a spool on my 6’9” Sedition Hooligan that I use as a frog rod yesterday. I’ve thrown it before but been limited on casting distance available due to fishing smaller ponds near my house most recently. I went out to the delta and bombs away. I had to turn the brakes on the morethan down about 2 or 3 notches so the spool would have the same action. Seems like the Steez A spool doesn’t need to be heavily braked and is slightly more controlled than the stock spool. With the brakes turned down a little I was getting all the casting distance I was looking for. I guess the morethan spool is slightly more free, but like I said once adjusted the line flew off the steez a spool just as good as the morethan spool. I don’t know how much more line the Steez spool holds, but I do know I wasn’t getting down to the electrical tape holding my braid like I can with the stock spool. I would also state that the distance I was able to cast was much farther than my effective and comfortable hook setting range and wouldn’t be casting as far as I was and actually expect to hook up with a fish using a frog. Just testing purposes.
Very much appreciate this feedback. Not had a chance to look into a steez a spool, but will soon. With stock spool, it's definitely a hot reel. I cut my teeth with Daiwa on their Coastal TWS over last couple of years, but this has been inshore and occasionally bombing 1.5oz sting silvers on my 10.5 Century 1265. We have tremendous wind often here in Buxton, NC, and this Coastal has been the most drama free distance machine I've ever thrown. Had several variants of the Calais DC reels over the years they were made, as well as trying the last incarnation...Antares DC. The first models early on were amazing, but it seems to me and my use that as the years went by these became more focused on control and less on distance. This Daiwa TWS has caught my attention after my limited use of their Coastal and thus the recent Morethan purchase. As stated, I do like this reel, but I'm not used to something so limited in line capacity and so small...pain in the a** to get my fingers on the spool adjustment behind the drag star as well as adjusting the mag dial, but it will cast I believe better than my previous Calais usage. Definitely more "twitchy" than my Coastal, but that is most likely due to it's intended design and ability to throw smaller lures.
If they produced a 200 sized version of this, I suspect it would be my perfect reel. And to clarify my expressed opinions...my happy place is hunting big reds on the shallow flats in open water. With this, as the water heats up and the summer starts getting late, these fish get spooky. This is where drama free distance is a requirement of mine. I'll use this Morethan for my large and smallmouth hunts, but if they ever made a larger size, I'd pick it up quickly.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 am

jrk wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 am
As stated, I do like this reel, but I'm not used to something so limited in line capacity and so small...pain in the a** to get my fingers on the spool adjustment behind the drag star as well as adjusting the mag dial, but it will cast I believe better than my previous Calais usage. Definitely more "twitchy" than my Coastal, but that is most likely due to it's intended design and ability to throw smaller lures.
If they produced a 200 sized version of this, I suspect it would be my perfect reel. And to clarify my expressed opinions...my happy place is hunting big reds on the shallow flats in open water. With this, as the water heats up and the summer starts getting late, these fish get spooky. This is where drama free distance is a requirement of mine. I'll use this Morethan for my large and smallmouth hunts, but if they ever made a larger size, I'd pick it up quickly.
Some of the points made here are a few of the reasons that I think the OG Morethan is a better overall reel for a lot of people, especially if you are actually using it for salt applications. (see page 1 rant) I recognize some of the benifits the new Morethan offered, and there is no doubt it is a sweet black and gold Steez A. On the other hand, th new Daiwa Coastal is a complete joke in my opinion. (I don't care what frame it's built on) At $250 for the new Coastal, I would be looking for a gently used OG Morethan instead for the same price or slightly more. The pinnicle currently for Daiwa would still be the Battler 1520 and a bonus with a HLC Deep Spool.
Also, for those who actually use these in Salt, like you sir, don't be afraid to find and use a high quality Japanese 1.5 or 2 size PE Varivas Seabass is a great option. Just make sure you have your leader knot game on point especially if your going to a 30 or 40# leader with the small PE.
And KV Damn...when the wind get's blowing 25-30, grab a spinning rod!

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Paired with the Steez a spool it is the perfect combo for me. Enough line capacity (I have 50 pound x2 braid on it) and even capable to skip.

Bit pricey but worth it!

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:56 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 am
jrk wrote:
As stated, I do like this reel, but I'm not used to something so limited in line capacity and so small...pain in the a** to get my fingers on the spool adjustment behind the drag star as well as adjusting the mag dial, but it will cast I believe better than my previous Calais usage. Definitely more "twitchy" than my Coastal, but that is most likely due to it's intended design and ability to throw smaller lures.
Some of the points made here are a few of the reasons that I think the OG Morethan is a better overall reel for a lot of people, especially if you are actually using it for salt applications. (see page 1 rant) I recognize some of the benifits the new Morethan offered, and there is no doubt it is a sweet black and gold Steez A. On the other hand, th new Daiwa Coastal is a complete joke in my opinion. (I don't care what frame it's built on) At $250 for the new Coastal, I would be looking for a gently used OG Morethan instead for the same price or slightly more. The pinnicle currently for Daiwa would still be the Battler 1520 and a bonus with a HLC Deep Spool.
Also, for those who actually use these in Salt, like you sir, don't be afraid to find and use a high quality Japanese 1.5 or 2 size PE Varivas Seabass is a great option. Just make sure you have your leader knot game on point especially if your going to a 30 or 40# leader with the small PE.
Interesting.
D Coastal I picked up was previous model...and for a price that was ridiculous vs that of the msrp.
Hadn't heard of the Battler. Went looking around and looks like it might be no longer made...unless I was not looking in the correct places or...it's still made but under a different name/model.
Was not familiar with what is referred to as the OG Morethan, but as I mentioned, new to Daiwa.
I've got lots of wind to deal with, and have to many eggbeaters to count, but have always preferred the bait casting style reels. This D Coastal I've used can tame these winds like no other I've used.
Would very much like to take a look at this Battler you mention. Is the current Morethan and this Battler similar in components other than the size(reel and spool)?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:31 am

No harm no foul on the D Coastal, sounds like you got a great deal and if it has worked this long for you and casts well into the wind, more power to both of you.
The OG Morthan is built on a TAT frame, but that is where most of the similarities stop. The heavier duty parts (CC cap, Engine Cover, Mag Dial internals). Granted the spool is a special size, and you can't swap it with anything, But I think it is a very special spool. Despite the SV moniker, I believe this reel with outcast the current Morethan in whatever weight variance you want to tie on, especially in the wind. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the OG PE SV spool is still the widest available free floating SV spool?
The Daiwa Battler is built on a Zillion TW frame and again, where most of the similarities stop. The Battler was only sold in AU and was built to target Barramundi (big snook looking scoundrels). Yes, it's disconinued, they only made a very small amount of these reels. Eqiupped with Magseal, the most CCRB you can stuff in a Daiwa Baitcaster, and what impresses me the most the paint coating that I have found impossible to compromise in any way. The nice thing about this 36MM platform is that if you wanted to throw heavier live bait (mullet or big threadfins) or lures you have the option of putting in a Deep HLC spool, which would account for extreme distance casting and if needed some extra spool capacity.
If your more on the light lure/bait end of the spectrum, any type of deeper spool will do you no favors. The new Morethan spool is deeper than the OG SV spool, hence your finding some that are unimpressed with certain aspects of it, depending on what they are trying to accomplish.
And for those who are using any of these in a non salt environment, swap out the CRRB spool and sideplate bearing for an AIR or ZPI, and you notice better control and distance. Sorry about the rant, I've got some strong opinions on these reels, and they are just that...opinions. I know many have seen it before, but WTH...Still need to do a drag upgrade and it won't ultimatly be resting on that rod (for saltwater anyway).
rsz_img_3056.jpg
rsz_img_3056.jpg (69.48 KiB) Viewed 10951 times

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
jrk wrote:

So you feel like the new morethan is basically the same as the steez A just different color?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:15 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
jrk wrote:

So you feel like the new morethan is basically the same as the steez A just different color?
Well, no..I was bieng a little facetious. The Morethan PE SV has more features, (some that are really important to people) you can see the differences here. If I had to pick between the two, I would go with the Morethan PE SV, (only if I had a gold accented rod..haha) I still hate the sideplate and dial on both reels..personal preference.
More brass, more CRRB's, more aluminum, faster level wind, same capacity spool but with different charactaristics, 100mm handle

https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/steez-a-tw

https://daiwafishing.com.au/collections ... than-pe-tw

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:15 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
jrk wrote:

Well, no..I was bieng a little facetious. The Morethan PE SV has more features, (some that are really important to people) you can see the differences here. If I had to pick between the two, I would go with the Morethan PE SV, (only if I had a gold accented rod..haha) I still hate the sideplate and dial on both reels..personal preference.
More brass, more CRRB's, more aluminum, faster level wind, same capacity spool but with different charactaristics, 100mm handle

https://daiwafishing.com.au/products/steez-a-tw

https://daiwafishing.com.au/collections ... than-pe-tw
Thanks for the links. I already have the steez A but I've been wondering if I should have gone with the morethan. I think the added benefits on the morethan may not be that big of a deal for how and where I fish. Oh well, time to just get out and fish what I have and move on.

Thanks again

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 pm

Anyone care to share any thoughts regarding possible cons of the XH model after some time using the reel? About to pull the trigger in a day or two and slap a PG spool in it for jigs. 99% sure I'll be going this route over a Steez A XH or SV TW XH.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:41 pm

I bought the higher speed version of this reel and I've been so busy with work and family, no time to even fish it. Other than a couple of fields casts, been in the box it came in. A true waste of a fine reel...and all my other gear for that matter.

(post edited by Moderator to remove content in violation of Forum Rules)