JDM Tatula SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

JDM Tatula SV TW

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:25 am

Since I'm gonna be playing with TWS reels, I decided to grab a Tatula. I currently have the Zillion TW 1516 JDM model, and the Zillion SV TW. I'm liking both of them so far for what I am using them for. The 1516 isn't a great caster for me, but it one helluva flipping and pitching reel with 1/2 to 1oz baits. The SV model is a great casting reel, and we'll used for my T Rigs. Now, the Tatula SV is going to get used with 40lb J Braid Grand for pitching craw baits with a 1/8-1/4oz weights. Seeing as how many people I know have them for a while, and with myself servicing them, I have gained confidence in the longevity of the extra moving parts. They use these reels almost every time they go out, as they only have a few. I have too many reels, and only fish on Sunday mornings, so I may not even use a reel but 5 to 6 times a year depending on where I'm fishing down here. So I decided to go all in on the TW reels, and venture along. Should be here sometime next week, and I will give my thoughts on it compared to the USDM model.
<")))><{

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM Tatula SV TW

Post by DrPerf » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:44 am

From what I have been able to determine, the US domestic and JDM versions of the Zillion SV TW, with the same ratios, are the same reels, all made in Thailand. So, I wonder if that is the same situation with the Tatula SV TW.

Doc

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:54 am

DrPerf wrote:From what I have been able to determine, the US domestic and JDM versions of the Zillion SV TW, with the same ratios, are the same reels, all made in Thailand. So, I wonder if that is the same situation with the Tatula SV TW.

Doc
Yes, they are still all made in Thailand.
<")))><{

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:24 am

Only topt of line Daiwa's are currently Made in Japan. And actually not even all of the top of line reels..

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:33 am

Slap some HH ZR bearings in the Tatula SV when it arrives to really open it up. After a tuning by Bryan and putting in the ZRs mine bombs 1/4 oz cranks on a gen 1 Orochi XX Flatside Special with great control.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Kschultz76 wrote:Slap some HH ZR bearings in the Tatula SV when it arrives to really open it up. After a tuning by Bryan and putting in the ZRs mine bombs 1/4 oz cranks on a gen 1 Orochi XX Flatside Special with great control.
I have HawgTech ceramics in stock. Honestly, I dont think im gonna change the bearings, as I didnt intend to use the reel for long distance casting.
<")))><{

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:39 pm

I’ve been using Shimano for a good 15 years and recently purchased two of these reels... and I was amazed by how well they performed.