Reel for Aklys

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Poisson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Reel for Aklys

Post by Poisson » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:45 pm

I could use some suggestions on a reel to pair with the Megabass Orochi XX Aklys. In cold water months I plan to use this combo for small swimbaits (1 - 1.5 oz, braid to leader), but most of the time I will have a punch rig or heavy jig tied on.

I generally lean towards Daiwa, but it seems like either the Curado K or Bantam MGL could be a good fit here. Bantam MGL is at the top end of my budget.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reel for Aklys

Post by Reservoir » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 pm

I’m a Shimano guy, but recently purchased a daisy tatula and I fell in love with it.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:32 am

Bantam MGL
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Really depends on what gear ratios you prefer. I like my Zillion TWS 9.1 for punching. It wouldnt be my first choice for swimbaits though.

I have thrown all sorts of stuff with the 9.1 and my punch rod in the fall, when the setup doesnt have a use other than throwing heavier lures.

A Bantam in the HG would be nice. Japan Tackle for them for a pretty good price right now.

https://japantackle.com/special/reg0000234.html
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:46 am

Cal wrote:Bantam MGL
X2