Monoblock - Why?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Monoblock - Why?

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:10 am

I am tempted by the very beautiful Megabass Monoblocks.
I love my round reels - Conquests, Mørrums, Ryogas - and particularly enjoy popping different spools in my Ryogas.

The Monoblocks are obviously gorgeous and they come with some improved components, eg spools, but is there actually any performance improvements vs the Conquests and Ryogas?

How do the Monoblocks handle lighter lures (5-7 grams)?

Do any of you use other spools in your Monoblocks?

Hope you can help me with these questions and persuade me that I need a Monoblock 8-)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Monoblock - Why?

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Monoblocks are considerably smaller than the 1016 sized Ryogas. The reel takes TD-Z 103/Steez sized spools but requires a longer pinion from a Pixy or Alphas to make the 103 spool conversion possible. The stock spool is not that impressive. A conversion to 103 is common wirh these reels. I have a red one that a I have a new PX68 gear set for that I mean to convert. I'd like to get a 103 MB honeycomb spool for it as well at some point. One of my many projects.

Edit: by smaller I mean less wide and smaller diameter round reel in comparison to the Ryoga 1016. It sits slightly higher on the reel seat than my LIN10. The LIN10's reel foot and machined top portion of the frame allow the LIN to squat down on the reel seat unlike the Monoblock which sits much higher on the reel seat but is smaller so the height difference is minimal.
Last edited by LowRange on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Thank you. I noticed that the spool holds a lot of line compared to the low reel weight. Perhaps a good big trout / small atlantic salmon reel with 3/8 oz lures. I will have to try one out.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:26 pm

I had a Grigio Titanio with Pxr 6.8 gears and the Rcs 1012SV spool in it which required a Steez pinion shaft. That spool is a performer in other reels of mine and it was no different in the block. I could cast anything I tried in the 5-11g range.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks. Sounds great. Is this all I need:
https://japantackle.com/tuning-parts/sp ... 00071.html
?

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 pm

Dalleinf wrote:Thanks. Sounds great. Is this all I need:
?
You can order the pinion shaft through Tackle Trap in AL.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 am

Rippin-lips wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:Thanks. Sounds great. Is this all I need:
?
You can order the pinion shaft through Tackle Trap in AL.
And yes, they do ship internationally, but you have to inquire directly. There is no way to order on the website if your order is shipping outside the US. The part in the link you posted will also work if you order from Jun.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Thank you both. If I lived in USA, TackleTrap would get all my wifes savings. As it is, I spent some of my savings in Japan - Jun / JapanTackle has helped me out many times before with cheap and fast shipping to EU.