Daiwa Zillion Type R drag star on TDZ

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Zillion Type R drag star on TDZ

Post by Moosehead » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Got a small question: I found the drag star that I think looks perfect for my TDZ. Its the Zillion Type R, very close color and looks way good. The fitment is almost perfect but juuuust not enough clearance with the cast control knob when tightened all the way down(drag) So here are the questions: is there a simple solution Im not thinking of I only need two more complete turns on the cast control knob to clear. Is there a way to add space between the drag star and frame? a tad shallower cast control knob,, if its possible id like to run these but need a solution especially on the 105 with light lures.

Thanks in advance.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Zillion Type R drag star on TDZ

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Add a washer under the drag star

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:10 pm

There’s a flat washer that’s under the stock star that goes on top of the drag spring washers. You can add 1 more of the flat washers to gain a little clearance between the two parts.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:53 pm

You can also roll or fold the drag thrust washers a little more so they put pressure on the drag stack sooner, but the extra washer works, too. It might not let you back off the drag 100% after adding extra washer(s).
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Big thanks guys, Ill call Brian in the morning.

Moosehead
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Moosehead » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:56 pm

I thought I would have to change them to the PX type R and even thought it clears better the Zillion Type R looks soooo much better.

I put the PX type R on the OG Fuegos, and they look great. I was going to put one a SOL but Brian told me the shaft is too shot and I would need to do the clicker conversion so that kinda killed that but it looked great on that reel.