Tsurinoya XF-50 Budget BFS Reel Teardown & Evaluation

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tsurinoya XF-50 Budget BFS Reel Teardown & Evaluation

Post by uljersey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 pm
@uljersey how are you getting along with the Teton rod? I bought one last year, the tip section snapped while “feeling the action”. I had yet to even put a reel on it. I could buy one spare tip section, but the shipping is more than the rod section, and they won’t let you buy two tip sections.

Anyway, thanks for the write up. I’ve had a couple of the Tsurinoya reels for a while now. Believe it or not, mated with a $29 bass pro crappie maxx rod makes for a fun little combo. I need to take your advice and upgrade the drag on both of mine. Do you know if the handle knobs are removable? Or if the handle is Daiwa type, Shimano, or ??
To be honest that rod hasn't seen a lot of use as I got it late in the season before winter, but there was one instance where I had hooked into something absolutely huge - I believe it was a snakehead as I had caught them before in this particular water body and remembered the fights quite well. Anyhow, it latched onto a #5 Shad Rap and proceeded to take me and my kayak for a bit of a ride. The combo was clearly outclassed by the fish, whatever it was, but it took quite a bit of a battle before the 6 lb mono leader broke at the knot joining it to 10 lb braid and the fight ended. The rod and reel performed admirably though, any doubts I may of had about the rods abilities were gone after that. The drag did as well as could be expected, but I did not attempt a full lock down as it would have been pointless when dealing with such thin line and the possibility of excess strain on the spool shaft causing irreparable damage to the reel. I showed up to a gun fight with a plastic butter knife and got my ass handed to me :lol: but that rod earned a lot of respect from me that day.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Knotty wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 pm
uljersey wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:53 pm
Bearing sizes are listed as follows - I.D./ O.D./Thickness (height) in millimeters.

Spool bearing 1) 5 X 11 X 4
Spool bearing 2) 3 X 10 X 4
You've inspired me to tune my XF-50, which casts well but has terrible drag. Discovered this while catching a bunch of pickerel the other day.

I've never worked on a baitcast reel and was hoping you could help me with a few pointers? Do you degrease everything first and with what? Can you recommend some lubes and note which parts they're applied to? (please don't reference where you get supplies from, unless they're a TackleTour sponsor, as I see this is now prohibited)

Or are there any online tutorials you'd recommend?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

PS - Doing some TT searching it looks like this may be a sensitive subject, so I'll understand if you don't want to answer.
Well, if you're going to learn how to work on a reel, probably none better than a $50 one.

I'm self taught, plus it helps to be somewhat mechanically inclined, so I never really had to rely on tutorials much but this one seems pretty thorough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCD_NfzWuvQ He mentions taking pictures with your phone as you go along, this is great advice. Another thing I like to do is take the schematic that came with the reel (you did save it, didn't you ?) and if you have access to a good copy machine such as you'd find in an office, make blown up copies of it so you have a roadmap that you can reference and make notes if needed. Do whatever it takes to make you confident - take pictures, make sketches, etc. Use empty egg cartons and number the individual compartments and as you remove screws and other parts you can put them in a numbered compartment and note that number next to the picture of it on the schematic. In my opinion, it's all in the details when it comes to working on reels. They're not terribly complicated, just be meticulous and work slowly in a well lit organized work area.

My personal lube preferences are Super Lube synthetic for grease and TSI 321 synthetic oil for bearings, but there are as many opinions on lubes as there are lubes. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 pm
@uljersey how are you getting along with the Teton rod? I bought one last year, the tip section snapped while “feeling the action”. I had yet to even put a reel on it. I could buy one spare tip section, but the shipping is more than the rod section, and they won’t let you buy two tip sections.
Warhawk, bummer about your rod tip. I own 4 Tetons in weights from SUL to L. Some spin, some baitcast and love them all. They’ve taken much abuse catching pickerel and bass from the kayak. No failures yet. Amazing rods for the money. I just wish they offered some shorter spinning rods for stream fishing.

uljersey wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:02 pm
Well, if you're going to learn how to work on a reel, probably none better than a $50 one.

I'm self taught, plus it helps to be somewhat mechanically inclined, so I never really had to rely on tutorials much but this one seems pretty thorough - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCD_NfzWuvQ He mentions taking pictures with your phone as you go along, this is great advice. Another thing I like to do is take the schematic that came with the reel (you did save it, didn't you ?) and if you have access to a good copy machine such as you'd find in an office, make blown up copies of it so you have a roadmap that you can reference and make notes if needed. Do whatever it takes to make you confident - take pictures, make sketches, etc. Use empty egg cartons and number the individual compartments and as you remove screws and other parts you can put them in a numbered compartment and note that number next to the picture of it on the schematic. In my opinion, it's all in the details when it comes to working on reels. They're not terribly complicated, just be meticulous and work slowly in a well lit organized work area.

My personal lube preferences are Super Lube synthetic for grease and TSI 321 synthetic oil for bearings, but there are as many opinions on lubes as there are lubes. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
My degree is in mechanical engineering, so I’m not too worried (famous last words). I’ll checkout the video and thanks for the egg carton and schematic tips. Both will come in handy. Taking pics of each step is something I already do and have found invaluable.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:55 am

I wish the seller on Ali would let me buy 2 tip sections for the Teton rod, but he won’t. I’ll probably go ahead and order one soon anyway. I see too many good reports to think mine was anything but a fluke.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

I ordered a tip section, and a whole second rod tonight. kuying Teton TTS662L.

Now we see how long it takes to get here.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 am

Warhawk wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

From what I can tell, the Tsurinoya Proflex 2 now comes in a "Light" version too. I was planning on ordering a Teton next, either UL or Light, but it is hard to not try another Proflex 2 as much as I have liked mine. The only thing that worries me about my Proflex 2 is the extremely fragile feeling tip, it is pencil lead thin. The Light version is a little bit thicker, and the Kuying Teton series of rods has a thicker tip section throughout the comparable lengths/powers/actions. From what I understand, the Proflex 2 rods are a bit faster with a whippy tip and the Teton series are a bit more moderate concerning the tip/action.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 am
Warhawk wrote:

From what I can tell, the Tsurinoya Proflex 2 now comes in a "Light" version too. I was planning on ordering a Teton next, either UL or Light, but it is hard to not try another Proflex 2 as much as I have liked mine. The only thing that worries me about my Proflex 2 is the extremely fragile feeling tip, it is pencil lead thin. The Light version is a little bit thicker, and the Kuying Teton series of rods has a thicker tip section throughout the comparable lengths/powers/actions. From what I understand, the Proflex 2 rods are a bit faster with a whippy tip and the Teton series are a bit more moderate concerning the tip/action.
Funny you mention that. I saw the Tsurinoya rod, and it comes with a spare tip section. So I went ahead and ordered one. I think what I ordered is a M/ML, a different tip section for each.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:37 am
Warhawk wrote:

Funny you mention that. I saw the Tsurinoya rod, and it comes with a spare tip section. So I went ahead and ordered one. I think what I ordered is a M/ML, a different tip section for each.
I had ordered 2 tip sections for my Teton rod and they showed up today. Nine days from order to parts in hand, from China. Pretty amazing.

I think I’m going to tune up a Pixy for this one.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:46 pm

There are a few videos on youtube comparing rods aforementioned, but I would like to see a direct versus of the Proflex 2 and Teton. Especially now if both have light and ultra light versions. Back to the main topic, is the XF-50 rated for Light or Ultra Light rods???

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm

The Tsurinoya rod showed up today. It’s a 2 piece, 7foot rod with two tip sections. One is medium, the other medium light. It appears to be very well made. I will be a perfect match for my orange Daiwa Sol.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri May 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm
The Tsurinoya rod showed up today. It’s a 2 piece, 7foot rod with two tip sections. One is medium, the other medium light. It appears to be very well made. I will be a perfect match for my orange Daiwa Sol.
I haven’t been able to find that rod. All I see is a spinning version with two tip sections for M & ML. No baitcaster.

EDIT: looking back through the posts, I guess you’re talking about a spinning rod. Got confused because it’s part of a baitcast reel thread.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Fri May 03, 2019 10:44 pm

It’s a baitcasting rod. Marked JOY TOGETHER and C702.

Hopefully this link will work

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TSURINO ... st=ae803_5

I also was able to order 2 tip sections for the Teton rod. I stuck a PX68 on it and am hoping to catch a few fish with it tomorrow. We’ve been having flooding rains here (Arkansas) for a while now.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Mon May 20, 2019 6:14 pm

I find my xf50 cast better if I lean into it hard when casting. If I try and lob or make a slow pitch it instantly blows up. I'm about to order some bfs bearings for it to see how it really does. Paired mine up with an UL proflex 2 and the rod flat out rocks. I would have bought the light if it were out when I ordered the up though.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm getting ready to do the drag upgrade on my XF50L.
I appreciate the work you put into this Jersey.
Early Peppers are almost ready and you'll have a package in the mail.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm

I did the drag upgrade and lapped the metal washer on my XF50 today. It came out great. I didn't have Cal's, so I used Quantum Hot Sauce and possibly some blueberry preserves. I couldn't tell after a while. But it came out awesome.

some findings......

Initial testing- Tsurinoya XF50L and Dragon 6-0 UL +Trout- no wind

I spooled the reel up with Berkely 6lb grn Nanofil against my better judgement. This is a line designed for spinning reels. Due to the fact it is completely round, it tends to dig into itself when used on a casting gear. I like its micro diameter and I use it for much of my UL spin fishing so I figured I'd give it a shot. I tied on a decoy size 1 Spiral snap and threaded on a crankbait body with no hardware. I weighed it on my gram scale and it was 2.5grams or 1/10oz. I started out with the magnets maxed and found the happy medium with the casting control knob that allowed the bait to barely fall when I depressed the thumb bar. At 10 on the magnets I got about 25 feet on my first cast. No thumb on the spool. I happen to have a good thumb that pretty much feathers the spool at the end of a cast to prevent any over runs. The cast went a bit to the left though.......I think by slowly taking off the magnetic control, I can get better distance and accuracy. I dropped it down to 8. Next cast...................about 35 feet and straight. I've made two casts with the is reel and am almost impressed. Down to 7.........next cast....................almost 40ft and straight. I think just I found the sweet spot. Just for the hell of it I am going to go down a few more to see what I can get away with, I drop it to 6. Next cast, I just about hit the street, my thumb automatically feathers the spool. I think if it didn't I might have had the spool over run a couple of turns but nothing major. That is about 48ft from me, The cast was dead on straight. I am pretty impressed. This is with stock bearings which I didn't touch or lube with 321.

I wonder what the lower range of this reel is. I mean I am completely happy with its performance with a 2.5gram bait. I dig into my box and find a pins minnow body. This is a 1/15oz body and 1.9gr on the digital scale. I haven't even tried this with any of my Aldies. Let's start the process again and dial the magnet back to max and slowly back it off. I clip the bait on and give it a whirl with the brakes maxed. I get about 20ft at left like first cast last time around. I'll drop it to 8 again. The next cast goes about 30ft and it straight. I drop it to 7, I make about a dozen more casts at this setting as it just feels right to me. No backlashes, no minor over runs, it is prefect. I'm gonna get crazy and drop the magnets to the setting between 6 and 5....we can call it 5 1/2. Now at this point I am expecting the reel to explode and melt in my hands. I make a cast and the bait falls about 2 feet shy of the street and the 50ft mark. No over run. I'm really shocked at this point. I can keep going and I think as long as I have some bit of brakes and my thumb, this reel isn't going to hellishly backlash on me. I am pleasantly surprised at this point.

One last test. I grab the bait and pull it slowly. The drag slips evenly and consistently. I used Quantum Hot Sauce Grease on the carbontex washers rather than the recommended Cal's. The Hot Sauce seems to have worked great. I think I have the confidence in this reel to go get it wet. Next step, out on the water.