Calcutta 200b/gtb

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Calcutta 200b/gtb

Post by Hulkster » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:19 am

Hi all, does anyone still use classic style round reels like the Calcutta B? I have always wanted to own a shiny gold Calcutta (the conquest is out of my price range lol) and was thinking about picking up a 200b or gtb (actually for steelhead fishing). Are these reels still being made? don't here much about them anymore? thanks

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Calcutta 200b/gtb

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:51 am

I have a 200GTB that I still use to this day. Love that reel like nothing else. It's the most solid thing I own, and it even feels that way in the hand. Though most people don't like the round reels due to size/weight , they are some of the toughest reels ever made. If you want to dip in to the Calcutta reels, I highly recommend the 200GTB. It can do just about anything.
<")))><{

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:13 am

Tacklewarehouse shows both in stock. Round reels still have a following, just not as popular as LP right now.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am

I picked up my Conquest 50 for $165. It has some pix sized marks on it but came complete with reel cover plus box and paperwork. If you can live with some cosmetic wear and tear I am sure you could find one for a good price.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 am

I have the 300TE and 400TE, both are great reels. The only downside is shimano no longer has replacement parts for those reels. So if something breaks you would have to buy another reel to replace the part.

Shimano will service your Calcutta but they will let you know that they don’t have any parts for it.

Those reels should last if you take care of them.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:26 pm

I still have a couple of round reels.

Got rid of all my calcuttas. Kind of funny in that I actually like the Browning knock off of the calcutta better than a calcutta.

I call the Browning reel my frankenstein reel because parts have not been available for it for 20 plus years, so I have to scrounge them up out of other reels that look nothing like the round reel.

So far I have come up with 3 sets of gears for 3 different speeds.

The original gear set had a really small drag washer that bugged the heck out of me, so I began hunting for gears taking measurements of gear sets on reels that came through the shop until I began finding them in other Browning and Zebco reels, and Bass Pro.

It went from one small diameter drag washer to a triple carbon fiber drag stack.

Kind of cool to keep that old reel in smooth perfect working condition. I mainly use it for live bait fishing.

BTW, I just finished up a Calcutta 200B just a day or 2 ago.

Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?