Tatula SV casting distance.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tatula SV casting distance.

Post by russ57 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:15 pm

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the casting distance on the tat SV? Skipping is cool and all but I just feel like it lags behind my 13 inception, Curado K quite a bit in casting distance, even with a senko.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tatula SV casting distance.

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:32 am

The reel was not designed for casting distance. It's designed to be able to toss light baits with easier control. You want distance, get a CT Type R. On that note, no, I'm not disappointed with my JDM Tatula SVs distance, as it can cast a bait that's 1/4oz quite a ways with 30lb braid.
<")))><{

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:50 am

Its been widely noted the SV (SV105 & Tat SV) lacks distance but makes up for it in control. For me control isnt an issue and will not be getting anymore SV braked reels.
This reminds me my Tat SV was squealing loudly while casting at the end of last season have to check the spool bearings out. Its plenty cold outside so good indoor project. Ill get the acetone ready. :big grin:

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 am

Flush or replace the spool bearings. Made a word of difference . To say that I’m less than impressed with stock daiwa spool bearings over the past year would be an understatement. Whatever vendor daiwa is using for those black spool bearings had been super hit or miss. Some good, some took forever to clean, some wont get smooth.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 am

I purchased one sv braked reel (sv tw Zillion) because I thought it should be better casting than my ct type-r Tatula. No it wasn’t. But I have read that there is time and place for sv brake. I just haven’t found it. But I have 5 other spools for that reel. Original sv spool is in bookcase.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:24 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Its been widely noted the SV (SV105 & Tat SV) lacks distance but makes up for it in control. For me control isnt an issue and will not be getting anymore SV braked reels.
This reminds me my Tat SV was squealing loudly while casting at the end of last season have to check the spool bearings out. Its plenty cold outside so good indoor project. Ill get the acetone ready. :big grin:
I don't know if it's just my sv105 or what, but that thing absolutely bombs baits. In my hands it's the perfect reel for ml-m rods pitching and casting 1/4-5/8 baits using 8-12# fluoro. Out of all the SV reels I have it's definitely the wildest of the bunch and I never have a reason to go below 50% braking. I wouldn't recommend it for bait finesse applications.

I think you probably just need to grease the spool shaft ends. I doubt it's the bearings.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:41 am

russ57 wrote:Anyone else a bit disappointed with the casting distance on the tat SV? Skipping is cool and all but I just feel like it lags behind my 13 inception, Curado K quite a bit in casting distance, even with a senko.
Have you made sure that your rotor is stuck in the out position? I can't complain about the distance from any of the 4 Tat SV reels I had at one point, or from my Zillion SV & Alphas SV105, and besides those reels, I currently have 4 other Alphas variations with the SV spool added to them. For lighter stuff, they cast and pitch great. Anything 3/8 oz or more gets tied on a reel other than the Alphas SV reels, though i do cast a Jackall Bling 55 with my 5.8-geared Alphas SV, and it works great. The Zillion SV is a casting machine, even with 1 oz plus tied on.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:56 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:The Zillion SV is a casting machine, even with 1 oz plus tied on.
May be. But I just don’t like it. :)

I like very much Steez 103 spools with HLC spring with it. And also I like Momo’s Honeycomb for finesse. And Ray’s spool is also OK but I should have purchased deep model when they had those. Ize factory HLC spool I haven’t yet tried because I just picked it and now waters are frozen here.

SV Zillion og spool feels like reel has flu. It goes bad when seeking distances. And for finesse that spool is too heavy. So in my opinion it doesn’t never shine. But have to say it isn’t bad. It just isn’t spool for me and my casting style.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:02 am

jvelth74 wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:The Zillion SV is a casting machine, even with 1 oz plus tied on.
May be. But I don’t like it. :)

I like very much Steez 103 spools with HLC spring with it. And also I like Momo’s Honeycomb for finesse. And Ray’s spool is also OK but I should have purchased deep model when they had those. Ize factory HLC spool I haven’t yet tried because I just picked it and now waters are frozen here.

SV Zillion og. spool feels like reel has flu. It goes bad when seeking distances. And for finesse that spool is too heavy. So in my opinion it doesn’t never shine. But have to say it isn’t bad. It just isn’t spool for me and my casting style.
You need to flush the spool bearings. All the spool bearings in my recent Daiwa reels have been packed to the gills with grease. After I flushed and relubed with light oil, there is a world of difference.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 am

^ That's possible but then this is my only Daiwa (spool) that needs to be serviced before service. Other's has been good when unboxing. But I still believe it's that sv brake which I don't like. Because adjusting Magforce to '0' spool rolls like mad. But with usable adjustment of Magforce this sv spool is like flu vs. Steez 103 or Momo's (or even Ray's).

(One Steez 103 bearing didn't fixed by servicing, obviously it's broken. But it is bought as 'Used'. It has been at least many years stored before I got it.)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:45 pm

It does have an agressive braking profile but still casts plenty far for regular bass fishing use. I can cast all the 50# Trilene braid off the spool with a Terminator Walking Frog when thrown on a Megabass Hyuga 72H and don't have to thumb the spool even on splash down. I still do out of habit and to prevent a single loose coil that will form sometimes on the remaining few wraps of line left on the spool. The Curado K will probably cast further due to the more free braking of SVS at the end of the cast but my Tat SV casts further than I care to already. I have no desire to cast 60+ yards unless it is a deep diving crankbait. If you really want a free braking system that cuts in to curb spool RPM then cuts out to free spool then Daiwas in general aren't for you. Even the most free Magforce Z/V spools still brake at the end of the cast for additional control.

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 pm

LowRange wrote:It does have an agressive braking profile but still casts plenty far for regular bass fishing use. I can cast all the 50# Trilene braid off the spool with a Terminator Walking Frog when thrown on a Megabass Hyuga 72H and don't have to thumb the spool even on splash down.
Same. I can almost spool out chucking a frog with 50lb braid. That's further than I can effectively set the hook so I don't have a distance issue with this reel at all. Tatula SV casts plenty far for my needs. But I don't throw crankbaits with this so..

LonnieP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by LonnieP » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Do you have it set up correctly?Spool tension needs to be set to where the spool has a little bit of play in it. My 2 Tat SV’s will cast just as far as all of my other reels.
Last edited by LonnieP on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:34 pm

ResoKP wrote:
LowRange wrote:It does have an agressive braking profile but still casts plenty far for regular bass fishing use. I can cast all the 50# Trilene braid off the spool with a Terminator Walking Frog when thrown on a Megabass Hyuga 72H and don't have to thumb the spool even on splash down.
Same. I can almost spool out chucking a frog with 50lb braid. That's further than I can effectively set the hook so I don't have a distance issue with this reel at all. Tatula SV casts plenty far for my needs. But I don't throw crankbaits with this so..
Same here. I throw 3/4 to 2oz mega chatterbaits night fishing and it bombs cast out and I do not have to worry about spool overruns even with no thumb. Makes the best night fishing reel because of that.

I just had one of my SV’s returned from Daiwa service. My screamer had nothing to do with over packed bearings. There was a very small broken pin that fell out when a friend and I removed the side plate. We do not know where it was originally. They replaced the whole spool assembly under warranty. This has not been an uncommon issue from what the service guy said. SV #2 is going back for the same issue. No amount of grease removal and regreasing will make a difference if you’re having the issue I have. If your SV sounds like a DC reel or similar sound throughout the cast, you have this problem

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:16 am

Daiwa is definately for me. I like very much all Magforce Z’s and V’s that I have tried. As well I have liked 33% … 67% of Magforce sv’s depending on is there Magforce sv in Ray’s spool and in T3 Air or not. Actually only Daiwa product that I don’t found use is Zillion 1016 sv G1 spool. But I haven’t tried frogging with it. Actually I don’t remember when I have frogging at all. It’s not usually type of fishing for me. I believe this can be good for frogging. Probably I’m not going for frogging next summer either. But maybe I’m going to casting small Suicide Duck for pike:
http://savage-gear.com/product/3d-suicide-duck/
Or lightweight poppers:
https://www.pro-fishing.eu/topwater-lur ... popper-egg
And maybe I try sv tw Zillions OG spool for that. Or it’s possibly that I still have strong belief that one other spool (which I have several) will do better.

I keep Spool tension always ‘0’ with exception of casting 8.5 Oz swimbaits with 13 Fishing Concept A3.

I don’t remember did this 1016 sv G1 spool create noise when casting. Maybe I should try that.

(But this spool is anyway pretty much useless for me because I have not liked it when testing and I have pretty much perfect spool for any situation what I’m going to cast with sv tw Zillion :D I love Steez 103 Spool with HLC Spring. And IZE Factory HLC Spool is very promising. And MOMO’s is just perfect for finesse. And Ray’s handles anything between those.)