Skipping: SV, MGL, DC or st else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Skipping: SV, MGL, DC or st else?

Post by Obz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:14 am

Wondering what reel preferences you have for skipping. I've skipped with an SV103 and it worked really well. From what I've read it seems like SV reels are beginner friendly but if mastered is there an advantage to the shimanos? Also has anyone skipped with a DC? Going get another bottom contact rod and want to skip with it. I'm not sure if I want to go steez SV TW, metanium MGL or a met DC, I want to go higher end than my SV103. Open to other suggestions as well.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Skipping: SV, MGL, DC or st else?

Post by Revofisher » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:42 am

Obz i skip a ton of baits especially on loudon and tellico at certain times of the year the fish key into boat docks so much its crazy. last year i had 10 sv 103 reels and regret selling them!! I notice you have that reel and in my opinion its a skipping / pitching machine!! i currently own mostly shimanos with one diawa sv 105 in the mix. i honestly feel there is no real advantage over one reel to the other shimano vs daiwa i mean. Daiwas sv spool is very forgiving on the angler for skipping trouble free, as well is shimanos dc system once set right they can aid in great trouble free skipping for the most part. One thing i have noticed is the bantam skips very well. its one of my favorite shimanos for skipping and casting into the wind just handles it great. the metanium mgl for me anyway gets quite a bit finicky when the skipping task comes into play.

sorry im getting carried away, to sum it up i dont think there is an advantage with shimano it does take a bit more thumb input but the mgl spool is quite good for skipping a lot better than some older shimano spools. Daiwa sv spool is a no brainer great for skipping, and same goes for the dc once set right.

I could be wrong and have no idea to be honest but the new antares coming out looks like it would be a great skipper from the shimano camp with the new mgl spool being more narrow in diameter should be easy to control. this is just in my head though could be a total different reel once fished.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:03 am

SV for sure. I find that it gives me a huge advantage over non SV reels. I can skip with no spool tension and skip lighter weight things than even a Magforce Z reel. I've skipped with a Shimano SVS reel and it was horrible. I had to run brakes on max and more spool tension to the point of a slow drop and stick to heaver easy to skip baits like jigs AND STILL have to thumb the spool. I found that you have to set up the reel completely different than when casting and this makes transitioning between casts and skips a pain with SVS. I love Shimano SVS but it is the wrong tool for the job IMO.

In my world:

Control at low speed: SV
Free at low speed: Centrifugal
In between/regular use: Magforce Z and V

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:07 pm

Both the dc reels and sv reels are both excellent for skipping, i use both and would be hard pressed to pick one over the other.....

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:47 pm

Black Haze wrote:Both the dc reels and sv reels are both excellent for skipping, i use both and would be hard pressed to pick one over the other.....
Can confirm this 100 percent!!!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:31 pm

The SV is the best spool for skipping I have used, gives great control on skips without having to adjust the breaking so high it feels held back or chocked up.

I also prefer Daiwa reels to Shimano for skipping because with the mag breaking you can adjust in seconds. This is great when not skipping 100% of the time as you can go down a bank casting for distance, come to a dock and turn up the breaks a bit for skipping a few casts then turn the breaks back down in a couple seconds without having to open up a side plate.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:32 pm

SV for me all day