Curado DC rubbing sound

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Curado DC rubbing sound

Post by Slazmo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 am

I just picked up a well priced second hander for myself, the seller honestly pointed out that it "may need a service" however I noted that the handle / drag knob was improperly assembled with parts where they shouldn't be - drag knob tension spring and (()) washers improperly seated as (((( in the handle assembly, an easy fix.

Anyhow moving forward to the scraping sound on the wind, mainly suspected that the spool was rubbing against the frame originally - when I got home a quick cleaning and closer inspection of any resulting casting slag left over - however no damage to the spool itself to imply that no rubbing was evident or the cause (nor any bearings either).

Further inspection to the DC module and inner spool - that showed that there was a 'slight' casting imperfection on the OD of the perimeter of the DC coil section that inserts deeply into the spool itself.
IMG_20190215_231214.jpg
Curado DC inductor cover imperfection
IMG_20190215_231214.jpg (262.89 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
The picture attached shows the smoothed down protruding casting imperfection that was causing the rubbing noise, done simply with the straight edge of a sharp knife, just scraped it gently flat - I wish I took a pic of it originally to compare... Safely now the reel performs flawlessly and silently as should on the wind, except for the DC whine on the cast.

Just a personal finding and hope it helps someone that may have this rubbing sound issue.

Andrew