Sub 250.00 reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Sub 250.00 reel

Post by Kingpin » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:40 am

I need to pick up a few reels and thought about giving the Tatula TWSV a try. Now I see the Zillion TWSV can be had at a good price bringing it closer to what Im looking for. Im also interested in the new Curado DC and some of the new Lews reels. My question is: Is there a reel in this price range that his noticeably better than the rest? Im not biased on brand just casting ability of both light and heavy lures and something that will work all day, everyday. I had a couple of the 200K curado's and wasnt overly impressed. Im interested to hear others opinions. Thanks, G

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sub 250.00 reel

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:47 am

The Zillion SV is my favorite all around reel ever. I'm sure the Curado DC is equally worthy of your consideration. If you get that Zillion, though, you'll love it. It will do almost everything.
This is the way.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:05 am

Here's another vote for the Zillion SV TW. It seems like it's finally starting to get some respect out there. I knew I liked it from the first cast. I've been fishing them since they came out, stock, and then tinkering with some parts. The ZPI PG spool takes a fantastic reel and makes it even better...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 am

I've never tried anything but the stock spool, but for all around use for me it would be a tall order to improve upon it. Plus you never have to worry about changing out those damn SV ramps.
This is the way.

gumbygold
Angler
Angler

Post by gumbygold » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 am

I like the Tatula and Zillion both but if I had to choose one, I'm also going with the zillion.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:51 am

Would depend upon how big your hands are. The Zillion TW isn't as "refined" as the SV TW but the SV just got lost in my palms. It didn't take too much time to get the TW were I wanted it to be. It's a bit over your top range though.

Kschultz76
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Kschultz76 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Another vote for the Zillion SV TW here. Great performing solid reel. I’m considering grabbing another one at the current prices. If they are phasing it out or replacing I’m afraid I won’t like the new model.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Zillion SV TW. I have been very outspoken of it. I have 2, both 7.3's. One is even serving as a BFS reel (with DIY spool) because I just enjoy fishing it so much I keep it in the car with a 2-piece BFS rod. I did a user review covering the reel some, haven't updated the review, but no need, reel is still running strong.

A Chronarch MGL hasn't been a bad reel either, some searching might allow you to buy it under $250, but they have seemed to have many more negative reports than the Zillion SV TW has, even though my Chronarch MGL has been rock solid and butter smooth.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:56 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Zillion SV TW. I have been very outspoken of it. I have 2, both 7.3's. One is even serving as a BFS reel (with DIY spool) because I just enjoy fishing it so much I keep it in the car with a 2-piece BFS rod. I did a user review covering the reel some, haven't updated the review, but no need, reel is still running strong.

A Chronarch MGL hasn't been a bad reel either, some searching might allow you to buy it under $250, but they have seemed to have many more negative reports than the Zillion SV TW has, even though my Chronarch MGL has been rock solid and butter smooth.
I think I need one of the 9.1's for my Zillion 661HFB for skipping. I should've just bought one instead of a Zonda, which I'm sure I'll love, but was a total bid at the last nano second of the auction impulse buy. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll become super cheap before long...
This is the way.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:36 pm

JDM prices on Bantam MGL's are about $260. I know above $250 but , not by much.

FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Post by FishingwithBranden » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:57 pm

If we are going based on value alone, I am going with the Tatula SV. The Zillion is going to be more refined, but the Tatula for the money is my go to reel now. I state that and I have several Lew's, Shimano's, and Abu's.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:47 am

johnD wrote:JDM prices on Bantam MGL's are about $260. I know above $250 but , not by much.
That my gonna be my suggestion as well. Zillion svtw is my daiwa vote as well.

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:45 pm

I have several Metanium MGL's and a Bantam. I dont care for the bantam but I use it for frogs. I wanted something for throwing swim jigs, spinnerbaits (bladed baits). Im leaning towards the Zillion but I am curious about the Curado DC. Any comments on it? Thanks

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Never tried a Zillion but own numerous tatula's, chronarch mgl and a bantam mgl.
    By far my favorite is the Tatula sv. While not quite as smooth as the bantam it casts effortlessly, easy clutch and truly a "set and forget" reel.
    My experience with the chronarch mgl was super smooth than became a little geary feeling. Sent it in to a well known reel guy and told that was just how they are. Does not seem to be right to me as it is the geariest reel I own. Sent it back to Shimano about a month ago and still waiting for something from them........
    Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

FishingwithBranden
    Angler
    Angler

Post by FishingwithBranden » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:47 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
      Never tried a Zillion but own numerous tatula's, chronarch mgl and a bantam mgl.
      By far my favorite is the Tatula sv. While not quite as smooth as the bantam it casts effortlessly, easy clutch and truly a "set and forget" reel.
      My experience with the chronarch mgl was super smooth than became a little geary feeling. Sent it in to a well known reel guy and told that was just how they are. Does not seem to be right to me as it is the geariest reel I own. Sent it back to Shimano about a month ago and still waiting for something from them........
      I feel like the aluminum geared reels all feel "geary" now a days.