Chronarch MGL interesting story

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Chronarch MGL interesting story

Post by Samuel_b » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm

brownhl wrote:Just keep Shimano ACE2, or Cal's drag grease on the micro gears and it will remain smooth. This per Shimano.
Are the micro gears supposed to lose smoothness faster than non-micro gears?...because if so that's kind of self-defeating :?
And thanks I will pick some up for the Met MGL I just ordered. I use to have some around but lost it years ago

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:19 pm

Thus far I've had the semi MM gears in my K go buzzy, my newly acquired CU DC start to feel buzzy (7.4:1) and a friends lefty CU DC start to feel extremely buzzy (7.4:1).

However the gears in the K which were changed to 6.2:1 are still smooth as silk - just the HG / XG models are giving me grief...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Slazmo wrote:Thus far I've had the semi MM gears in my K go buzzy, my newly acquired CU DC start to feel buzzy (7.4:1) and a friends lefty CU DC start to feel extremely buzzy (7.4:1).

However the gears in the K which were changed to 6.2:1 are still smooth as silk - just the HG / XG models are giving me grief...
You're not alone. Even in the Daiwa camp there are reports of faster gear sets (8:1+) being less smooth with use when compared to slower gear sets. I for one have little interest in owning another 8:1 reel let alone anything faster.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:50 am

Installed the 6.2's tonight and "oh lawdy"... So manically smooth...

Happy CU DC camper now.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am

MM gears, and high ratios=really freaking small teeth. Sure, its smooth at first, but durability suffers. I cant stand that Daiwa is doing this with the new Ryoga. I dont care what grease you use, it aint gonna help. Stick to ole reliable. 7 is a max I will go with regular gears, 6 in the MM gears (dont own any anyways).
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:45 pm

I'd rather use the newer more throw away stuff than the older reels... Ain't no getting back those once lost or damaged...

Parts are an issue - and so are CU DC lefty gear sets which are unavailable here in Australia... Its left one guys reel I've got without a new gear set and really buzzy...

He ain't a happy camper by any means...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 pm

LowRange wrote: You're not alone. Even in the Daiwa camp there are reports of faster gear sets (8:1+) being less smooth with use when compared to slower gear sets. I for one have little interest in owning another 8:1 reel let alone anything faster.
Yeah, even out of the box the daiwa 9.1 sets aren't as smooth. But they are FAST. And they seem to hold up just fine. I use mine for bottom contact, anyway, so sensitivity while reeling isn't an issue for me at all. It's all about taking up that slack/getting the bait back for another cast or pitch.
This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:24 am

poisonokie wrote:
LowRange wrote: You're not alone. Even in the Daiwa camp there are reports of faster gear sets (8:1+) being less smooth with use when compared to slower gear sets. I for one have little interest in owning another 8:1 reel let alone anything faster.
Yeah, even out of the box the daiwa 9.1 sets aren't as smooth. But they are FAST. And they seem to hold up just fine. I use mine for bottom contact, anyway, so sensitivity while reeling isn't an issue for me at all. It's all about taking up that slack/getting the bait back for another cast or pitch.
I tried the 9.1 set out that I replaced not long ago for comparison. It is still high functioning and probably smooth compared to some lower end reels, just that the 7.3 set feels better. I don't think an 8 gear for a weekend warrior like me will go bad that fast, but I obviously see where a high use reel would lose that butter feeling. To be honest, that helps my Chronarch MGL a lot, but I still have to give it credit because I use it as much as the rest and it truly is a smooth, great feeling reel. I wish at times I had the XG, but thoughts like this keep me enjoying the HG just fine.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:52 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:MM gears, and high ratios=really freaking small teeth. Sure, its smooth at first, but durability suffers. I cant stand that Daiwa is doing this with the new Ryoga. I dont care what grease you use, it aint gonna help. Stick to ole reliable. 7 is a max I will go with regular gears, 6 in the MM gears (dont own any anyways).
Gear pitch will remain the same over the ratio range. Say MM gears are 64 pitch no matter the number of teeth on the main gear 100 or 200 or 300 teeth the pitch/size of the teeth wont change. The diameter of the gear will change but not the size of the teeth. You can take main gears out of 9:1, 7:1, 5:1 reels and the teeth will mesh. Same goes for the pinion gear.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:55 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:MM gears, and high ratios=really freaking small teeth. Sure, its smooth at first, but durability suffers. I cant stand that Daiwa is doing this with the new Ryoga. I dont care what grease you use, it aint gonna help. Stick to ole reliable. 7 is a max I will go with regular gears, 6 in the MM gears (dont own any anyways).
Gear pitch will remain the same over the ratio range. Say MM gears are 64 pitch no matter the number of teeth on the main gear 100 or 200 or 300 teeth the pitch/size of the teeth wont change. The diameter of the gear will change but not the size of the teeth. You can take main gears out of 9:1, 7:1, 5:1 reels and the teeth will mesh if the pitch remains the same. Same goes for the pinion gear.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Gear pitch will remain the same over the ratio range. Say MM gears are 64 pitch no matter the number of teeth on the main gear 100 or 200 or 300 teeth the pitch/size of the teeth wont change. The diameter of the gear will change but not the size of the teeth. You can take main gears out of 9:1, 7:1, 5:1 reels and the teeth will mesh. Same goes for the pinion gear.

Wait, what? MM gears teeth are the same SIZE as regular gears? Then why do they call them Micro Module? Last I checked, the teeth were smaller than that of a regular set of drive gears?????
<")))><{

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:38 am

He's saying that the ratio, i.e. gear diameter, doesn't affect the size of the teeth. All the teeth on all the gears in every Zillion reel are the same size regardless of ratio, 5.5-9.1.

You do wind up with more teeth on the main gear and fewer on the pinion with higher ratios, which is part of the problem as far as smoothness is concerned.
This is the way.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:44 am

poisonokie wrote:He's saying that the ratio, i.e. gear diameter, doesn't affect the size of the teeth. All the teeth on all the gears in every Zillion reel are the same size regardless of ratio, 5.5-9.1.

You do wind up with more teeth on the main gear and fewer on the pinion with higher ratios, which is part of the problem as far as smoothness is concerned.
OK. But I was talking about Micro Module gears. But I now understand what he was saying. :lol:
<")))><{

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:49 am

I have 2 chronarch mgls a hg and xg and to me they're just as good as my metainum mgl hg. Now i got a bantam hg and feel all 3 are in the same league. My chronarch hg has been used for traps and spinnerbaits and is just as smooth as when i first got her

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Samuel_b wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:17 pm
lape0019 wrote:I went through the same thought process with my 13 Metanium and Chronarch CI4+. At the beginning, I did not see anywhere where the price difference was worth it performance wise but the longer I used both, the more I started to understand why the metanium is worth the extra money. It took a long time though but the Metanium just felt more solid and has also held up better over time.

Now that I have a Bantam though, I don't see myself ever buying another new Metanium again.
You fished with the Bantam yet? I've heard a few people say the casting on that reel wasn't on par with other Shimano and Daiwa high end reels
Just saw this today. I used the Bantam for the entire 2018 season up here (6 months) mostly for working a spook style bait or a jerkbait. I did not notice any distance issues and will say it is the best reel I have ever used for casting into the wind. I’ve considered selling of my Met DC and 13 Met to buy more bantams. I just like it that much.