Antares 2019?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by Heddonfrog » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
tacklejunkie2 wrote:Tactical Bassin just released a YouTube video talking about the new Antares.
It was more like a Shimano ad than a review. I wish they would have talked more in-depth about it like casting distance, ergonomics, etc. They used to be pretty objective about their gear, but within the past year they have started to become more salesman, in my opinion.
100 percent agree with that! I even put a comment under their video that they should call out that they are sponsored / in a partner ship with Shimano.

I understand that they want to make money but it makes them less and less credible. With every gear review they do, I am asking myself if it was just for the $$$...

Oh well, there are still honest knights out there!

Wth are you talking about? Do you even watch their all gear reviews because it sure doesn’t sound like it. They test gear from under $100 on up from a myriad of companies but maybe I misspeak and you volunteer all your time...Work 40/50/60 hours a week for free? Tim still works full time as a paramedic/firefighter, so yeah he’s raking in millions and Tim’s so loaded he’s no longer booked solid with guide clients. I also guarantee most if not all their TW credits go right back into purchasing new gear to use and test. Oh, and do tell who are these other non-profit “honest” white knights out there sharing as much info and dedicating as much time to teaching as they do? I eagerly await watching and learning from these monks of the fishing world

Sorry for sidetracking your thread Mike :D

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:07 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
tacklejunkie2 wrote:Tactical Bassin just released a YouTube video talking about the new Antares.
It was more like a Shimano ad than a review. I wish they would have talked more in-depth about it like casting distance, ergonomics, etc. They used to be pretty objective about their gear, but within the past year they have started to become more salesman, in my opinion.
100 percent agree with that! I even put a comment under their video that they should call out that they are sponsored / in a partner ship with Shimano.

I understand that they want to make money but it makes them less and less credible. With every gear review they do, I am asking myself if it was just for the $$$...

Oh well, there are still honest knights out there!

Wth are you talking about? Do you even watch their all gear reviews because it sure doesn’t sound like it. They test gear from under $100 on up from a myriad of companies but maybe I misspeak and you volunteer all your time...Work 40/50/60 hours a week for free? Tim still works full time as a paramedic/firefighter, so yeah he’s raking in millions and Tim’s so loaded he’s no longer booked solid with guide clients. I also guarantee most if not all their TW credits go right back into purchasing new gear to use and test. Oh, and do tell who are these other non-profit “honest” white knights out there sharing as much info and dedicating as much time to teaching as they do? I eagerly await watching and learning from these monks of the fishing world

Sorry for sidetracking your thread Mike but you know how I get when people talk out their ass without knowing all the facts because, it’s “imo”

I have been one of their followers when they had less than 10k. So I think I can make a informed statement on that. And just to make one thing clear. I have no problem with them making money with their channel. It is just common courtesy to mention that you are in a business relationship with a company which products you are reviewing. I am not the only one that has noticed in which frequency they review Shimano products (even wearing Shimano clothes) in their videos. And I can not remember them mentioning really anything negative about the products (which a good reviewer should do). I love my Shimano gear as well, but even my 2018 Antares DC MD has flaws that I would tell a friend about that asks me for a honest opinion.


If you read a magazine you will see that advertisement of any sort has to be labeled as such, so that the reader can make an educated assessment with that info. There are lot of reviewer out there on YouTube that make a lot of money with their channel but always clearly can out when they have a sponsorship etc.

So. Next time. Calm down and educated yourself before you attack people on their opinion.

Cheers! ;)

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by Heddonfrog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:38 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
tacklejunkie2 wrote:Tactical Bassin just released a YouTube video talking about the new Antares.
It was more like a Shimano ad than a review. I wish they would have talked more in-depth about it like casting distance, ergonomics, etc. They used to be pretty objective about their gear, but within the past year they have started to become more salesman, in my opinion.
100 percent agree with that! I even put a comment under their video that they should call out that they are sponsored / in a partner ship with Shimano.

I understand that they want to make money but it makes them less and less credible. With every gear review they do, I am asking myself if it was just for the $$$...

Oh well, there are still honest knights out there!

Wth are you talking about? Do you even watch their all gear reviews because it sure doesn’t sound like it. They test gear from under $100 on up from a myriad of companies but maybe I misspeak and you volunteer all your time...Work 40/50/60 hours a week for free? Tim still works full time as a paramedic/firefighter, so yeah he’s raking in millions and Tim’s so loaded he’s no longer booked solid with guide clients. I also guarantee most if not all their TW credits go right back into purchasing new gear to use and test. Oh, and do tell who are these other non-profit “honest” white knights out there sharing as much info and dedicating as much time to teaching as they do? I eagerly await watching and learning from these monks of the fishing world

Sorry for sidetracking your thread Mike but you know how I get when people talk out their ass without knowing all the facts because, it’s “imo”

I have been one of their followers when they had less than 10k. So I think I can make a informed statement on that. And just to make one thing clear. I have no problem with them making money with their channel. It is just common courtesy to mention that you are in a business relationship with a company which products you are reviewing. I am not the only one that has noticed in which frequency they review Shimano products (even wearing Shimano clothes) in their videos. And I can not remember them mentioning really anything negative about the products (which a good reviewer should do). I love my Shimano gear as well, but even my 2018 Antares DC MD has flaws that I would tell a friend about that asks me for a honest opinion.


If you read a magazine you will see that advertisement of any sort has to be labeled as such, so that the reader can make an educated assessment with that info. There are lot of reviewer out there on YouTube that make a lot of money with their channel but always clearly can out when they have a sponsorship etc.

So. Next time. Calm down and educated yourself before you attack people on their opinion.

Cheers! ;)
You’re right and I am wrong and I sincerely apologize to all concerned. I’m totally pissed off at the world today because I’m losing two of the finest people I’ve ever met. I spent the day with my cousin and his wife who are more like brother & sister to me and she is losing her 3 year battle with cancer. Also for the first time since diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's my mother did not remember who I was. You know it’s coming but it’s doesn’t prepare you, at all. Again you all have my apologies now get back to dissecting the pros and cons of the Antares 70

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 am

Heddonfrog wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
It was more like a Shimano ad than a review. I wish they would have talked more in-depth about it like casting distance, ergonomics, etc. They used to be pretty objective about their gear, but within the past year they have started to become more salesman, in my opinion.
100 percent agree with that! I even put a comment under their video that they should call out that they are sponsored / in a partner ship with Shimano.

I understand that they want to make money but it makes them less and less credible. With every gear review they do, I am asking myself if it was just for the $$$...

Oh well, there are still honest knights out there!

Wth are you talking about? Do you even watch their all gear reviews because it sure doesn’t sound like it. They test gear from under $100 on up from a myriad of companies but maybe I misspeak and you volunteer all your time...Work 40/50/60 hours a week for free? Tim still works full time as a paramedic/firefighter, so yeah he’s raking in millions and Tim’s so loaded he’s no longer booked solid with guide clients. I also guarantee most if not all their TW credits go right back into purchasing new gear to use and test. Oh, and do tell who are these other non-profit “honest” white knights out there sharing as much info and dedicating as much time to teaching as they do? I eagerly await watching and learning from these monks of the fishing world

Sorry for sidetracking your thread Mike but you know how I get when people talk out their ass without knowing all the facts because, it’s “imo”

I have been one of their followers when they had less than 10k. So I think I can make a informed statement on that. And just to make one thing clear. I have no problem with them making money with their channel. It is just common courtesy to mention that you are in a business relationship with a company which products you are reviewing. I am not the only one that has noticed in which frequency they review Shimano products (even wearing Shimano clothes) in their videos. And I can not remember them mentioning really anything negative about the products (which a good reviewer should do). I love my Shimano gear as well, but even my 2018 Antares DC MD has flaws that I would tell a friend about that asks me for a honest opinion.


If you read a magazine you will see that advertisement of any sort has to be labeled as such, so that the reader can make an educated assessment with that info. There are lot of reviewer out there on YouTube that make a lot of money with their channel but always clearly can out when they have a sponsorship etc.

So. Next time. Calm down and educated yourself before you attack people on their opinion.

Cheers! ;)
You’re right and I am wrong and I sincerely apologize to all concerned. I’m totally pissed off at the world today because I’m losing two of the finest people I’ve ever met. I spent the day with my cousin and his wife who are more like brother & sister to me and she is losing her 3 year battle with cancer. Also for the first time since diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's my mother did not remember who I was. You know it’s coming but it’s doesn’t prepare you, at all. Again you all have my apologies now get back to dissecting the pros and cons of the Antares 70
We here at TT certainly appreciate your honesty. I think I speak for everyone here to say sorry about your family members' declining health. Speaking solely for myself here; I will remember you and all the affected families when I pray. Prayer changes things-maybe not always solving the problem in the way we want, but always giving peace and grace to make it through the hard times.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 am

Heddonfrog wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
Heddonfrog wrote:
freelancer27 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
It was more like a Shimano ad than a review. I wish they would have talked more in-depth about it like casting distance, ergonomics, etc. They used to be pretty objective about their gear, but within the past year they have started to become more salesman, in my opinion.
100 percent agree with that! I even put a comment under their video that they should call out that they are sponsored / in a partner ship with Shimano.

I understand that they want to make money but it makes them less and less credible. With every gear review they do, I am asking myself if it was just for the $$$...

Oh well, there are still honest knights out there!

Wth are you talking about? Do you even watch their all gear reviews because it sure doesn’t sound like it. They test gear from under $100 on up from a myriad of companies but maybe I misspeak and you volunteer all your time...Work 40/50/60 hours a week for free? Tim still works full time as a paramedic/firefighter, so yeah he’s raking in millions and Tim’s so loaded he’s no longer booked solid with guide clients. I also guarantee most if not all their TW credits go right back into purchasing new gear to use and test. Oh, and do tell who are these other non-profit “honest” white knights out there sharing as much info and dedicating as much time to teaching as they do? I eagerly await watching and learning from these monks of the fishing world

Sorry for sidetracking your thread Mike but you know how I get when people talk out their ass without knowing all the facts because, it’s “imo”

I have been one of their followers when they had less than 10k. So I think I can make a informed statement on that. And just to make one thing clear. I have no problem with them making money with their channel. It is just common courtesy to mention that you are in a business relationship with a company which products you are reviewing. I am not the only one that has noticed in which frequency they review Shimano products (even wearing Shimano clothes) in their videos. And I can not remember them mentioning really anything negative about the products (which a good reviewer should do). I love my Shimano gear as well, but even my 2018 Antares DC MD has flaws that I would tell a friend about that asks me for a honest opinion.


If you read a magazine you will see that advertisement of any sort has to be labeled as such, so that the reader can make an educated assessment with that info. There are lot of reviewer out there on YouTube that make a lot of money with their channel but always clearly can out when they have a sponsorship etc.

So. Next time. Calm down and educated yourself before you attack people on their opinion.

Cheers! ;)
You’re right and I am wrong and I sincerely apologize to all concerned. I’m totally pissed off at the world today because I’m losing two of the finest people I’ve ever met. I spent the day with my cousin and his wife who are more like brother & sister to me and she is losing her 3 year battle with cancer. Also for the first time since diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's my mother did not remember who I was. You know it’s coming but it’s doesn’t prepare you, at all. Again you all have my apologies now get back to dissecting the pros and cons of the Antares 70
I am very sorry to hear!!! Fishing and everything connected does not mater in such situations! I sincerely hope that you and your family get through this tough time!

Tim Little
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by Tim Little » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Whats up guys?! Man its been a long time since I’ve been on Tackle Tour. First off, @heddonfrog prayers to you and your family through these trying times! Life is so fragile and we are reminded too often in times like these. I lost both my parents as a young teenager. Cancer sucks and I cant imagine any of my family members not remembering who I am? Try to keep your head up and my family will keep your family in our prayers. Thank you for your concern last night. Ive been out working and couldn’t address this thread until now. So here it goes…..
@Hobeybaker & @freelancer27 - Im sorry you guys felt like the Antares 70 first look video was a “Shimano Ad,” and that Matt and I are less credible because of it. Shimano didn’t pay us for this video. They simply let us use the reel (and rod) for a couple of days. They wanted our thoughts on the new products and hoped we would catch some fish on them. Im sure they hoped we would shoot some kind of video but it wasn’t mandatory. It was our idea to do the first look video. We then shipped the rod and reel back to them. To the best of my knowledge Shimano didn’t share our video on any of their social media platforms. Hows that for a paid advertisement video lol! We have built a working relationship with Shimano and a lot of companies throughout the years. Because of this, they trust us to see some of their products first. Those of you that have followed Tacticalbassin from the beginning know that I use to use primarily Daiwa, Lews, and Abu reels. I've slowly switched to more and more newer Shimano reels because I feel they have recently come out with some of the best products on the market. Its still hard to beat the old Daiwa Sols and Fuegos! Im not sure Ill purchase the new Antares 70. I didn’t find a spot in my lineup for last Antares. If I do, hopefully we can do a more in-depth style video on it like some of you had hoped for. In the mean time, there are a couple of channels on YouTube that specialize in reel reviews.

To address some other comments…..
1. @freelancer27 We try very hard not to bash any products. In fact, we just don’t do it. If we don’t talk about it, either we haven’t tried it, or we wouldn’t recommend it. If that is your definition of a “good reviewer” so be it. We appreciate you being a subscriber since the early days!
2. Yes just like TackleTour.com, we (Tacticalbassin.com) are an affiliate with Tackle Warehouse. This helps offset costs for products and time doing 3 (unsponsored) videos per week. However we DONT sell advertising space all over our page or on any of our platforms like most.
3. We try very hard to be unbiased. Matt and I spend our own money to purchase products we normally wouldn’t purchase, just to try them out for our subscribers when they have questions about them. As fisherman we gain confidence in certain products and its hard to not use those products all the time. Bottom line…. We talk about products we use, like, and have confidence in.
4. Im a Game Warden not a Fireman although the last few summers hasn’t felt that way. :?

Matt and I try to be as transparent, real, and approachable as possible. Please, next time if you have a question or a concern, shoot us a message or an email and we will chat. Thanks guys Tight Lines!

Tim Little
Tacticalbassin.com

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by Heddonfrog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:40 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:We here at TT certainly appreciate your honesty. I think I speak for everyone here to say sorry about your family members' declining health. Speaking solely for myself here; I will remember you and all the affected families when I pray. Prayer changes things-maybe not always solving the problem in the way we want, but always giving peace and grace to make it through the hard times.
freelancer27 wrote:I am very sorry to hear!!! Fishing and everything connected does not mater in such situations! I sincerely hope that you and your family get through this tough time!

Tim Little wrote:@heddonfrog prayers to you and your family through these trying times! Life is so fragile and we are reminded too often in times like these. I lost both my parents as a young teenager. Cancer sucks and I cant imagine any of my family members not remembering who I am? Try to keep your head up and my family will keep your family in our prayers. Thank you for your concern last night.
Tim Little
Tacticalbassin.com
Thanks Guys, I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

freelancer27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 672
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:08 am

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 pm

Tim Little wrote:Whats up guys?! Man its been a long time since I’ve been on Tackle Tour. First off, @heddonfrog prayers to you and your family through these trying times! Life is so fragile and we are reminded too often in times like these. I lost both my parents as a young teenager. Cancer sucks and I cant imagine any of my family members not remembering who I am? Try to keep your head up and my family will keep your family in our prayers. Thank you for your concern last night. Ive been out working and couldn’t address this thread until now. So here it goes…..
@Hobeybaker & @freelancer27 - Im sorry you guys felt like the Antares 70 first look video was a “Shimano Ad,” and that Matt and I are less credible because of it. Shimano didn’t pay us for this video. They simply let us use the reel (and rod) for a couple of days. They wanted our thoughts on the new products and hoped we would catch some fish on them. Im sure they hoped we would shoot some kind of video but it wasn’t mandatory. It was our idea to do the first look video. We then shipped the rod and reel back to them. To the best of my knowledge Shimano didn’t share our video on any of their social media platforms. Hows that for a paid advertisement video lol! We have built a working relationship with Shimano and a lot of companies throughout the years. Because of this, they trust us to see some of their products first. Those of you that have followed Tacticalbassin from the beginning know that I use to use primarily Daiwa, Lews, and Abu reels. I've slowly switched to more and more newer Shimano reels because I feel they have recently come out with some of the best products on the market. Its still hard to beat the old Daiwa Sols and Fuegos! Im not sure Ill purchase the new Antares 70. I didn’t find a spot in my lineup for last Antares. If I do, hopefully we can do a more in-depth style video on it like some of you had hoped for. In the mean time, there are a couple of channels on YouTube that specialize in reel reviews.

To address some other comments…..
1. @freelancer27 We try very hard not to bash any products. In fact, we just don’t do it. If we don’t talk about it, either we haven’t tried it, or we wouldn’t recommend it. If that is your definition of a “good reviewer” so be it. We appreciate you being a subscriber since the early days!
2. Yes just like TackleTour.com, we (Tacticalbassin.com) are an affiliate with Tackle Warehouse. This helps offset costs for products and time doing 3 (unsponsored) videos per week. However we DONT sell advertising space all over our page or on any of our platforms like most.
3. We try very hard to be unbiased. Matt and I spend our own money to purchase products we normally wouldn’t purchase, just to try them out for our subscribers when they have questions about them. As fisherman we gain confidence in certain products and its hard to not use those products all the time. Bottom line…. We talk about products we use, like, and have confidence in.
4. Im a Game Warden not a Fireman although the last few summers hasn’t felt that way. :?

Matt and I try to be as transparent, real, and approachable as possible. Please, next time if you have a question or a concern, shoot us a message or an email and we will chat. Thanks guys Tight Lines!

Tim Little
Tacticalbassin.com

Appreciate you taking the time to respond and appreciate the explanation! Probably me working in Silicon Valley has made me question too much what the hidden (monetary) agenda behind digital content is. I am very happy to be proven wrong in this context. :)

Keep up the good work!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:28 am

Heddonfrog, I am sorry to hear of the difficult times that you and your family is going through. My thoughts and well-wishes are with you.


Dear Tim Little
I am a subscriber to your channel who has enjoyed watching your videos on youtube for quite some time even though I rarely get the opportunity to fish for bass.
I spend more time on Tackle Tour Forum and on YouTube watching your videos during daily commute than I do fishing since work takes up a lot of my time.
You seem like a really nice guy and I appreciate that you try very hard to be unbiased. Although you take several steps to be unbiased, it is very hard and bordering on impossible to be totally unbiased when you have (good?) working relationships with companies that lets you use their products for free, even if it is just for short time period, and that may give a few free products from time to time. I say this as an attending physician (MD and PhD) working in publicly funded health care and health care research, which has seen much needed and very dramatic changes in rules and regulations on working relationships with pharmaceutical companies etc. over the past 10 to 20 years. I am not allowed to receive a pencil from Big Pharma and we still have issues.
I wager it could be a long and boring discussion on how tackle companies and shops in many ways affect Tackle Tour, you, other successful YouTube fishermen, and thereby me and other novices, and I sure hope that I am not opening a Pandoras box.
Your videos are great even though they are not truly unbiased. Keep up the good work and consider detailing your affiliates and working relationships in your YouTube text box or on your website to increase transparency.

Sincerely
Michael

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by reason162 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:43 pm

There are different levels of "relationships" these channels have with tackle companies...from outright sponsorships to "pro staff" (promotional staff lol) to access for reviews/sneak peaks. Sounds like Tim and Matt have an on-and-off first access to some Shimano reels...and this they have disclosed afaik in the past as well.

There's a former member here --- Scoobydoo --- with a tackle review channel (he's been banned, I can't even mention his channel name but I think you guys know who it is), and following his journey navigating this process as his channel grows is very interesting. What happens when you start gaining an audience is, companies start throwing products at you...mainly OEM companies at first, and eventually the big players start noticing too, bc no one can afford to miss out on social media marketing these days.

His approach has been to reject 99% of these freebies, and to be upfront with the companies that he does consider reviewing, ie You might not like my review lol...and most importantly, to lay everything out in the open for his viewers. There was a new braided line company that sent him samples (this line also reviewed on TT), his batch had some serious QC issues...he put together a video showing the problems and also included a taped response from the company. Ditto for some of the reel reviews: whatever dialogue he has with the companies, along with the fact that he received them for free...all disclosed in the videos...such as the Penn Spinfisher he received pre-release. Imo, that strikes a fair balance: he gets some selective gear that he might not otherwise have purchased for review, but at the same time being perfectly transparent with both the companies and his audience so everyone knows exactly what they're watching going in.

Now, Tim and Matt are NOT a tackle review channel, so I think their approach of only mentioning tackle they like and use is a good choice. No reason for them to tear a piece of gear apart on video...and as long as they make it clear they have special access to certain reels/rods, I don't consider that "bias" in the sense that most people mean.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Back to the 2019 Antares....

(this references nothing on this thread besides the reel at hand)
Occassionally we all fall into a scenerio of "Hard Times". Most recently I was seriously considering buying the 2019 Antares, my first "real" Shimano Reel. Thanks to Egore1 and his thourough and in-depth insight into this reel it was exposed that the handle apparently cannot be swapped out, Hard Times. My finger immediatly came off the buy button. My other finger simultanously was lifted from buy button on the Livre Feather 95 handle. A path to the Shimano realm had been squashed again. Hard Times like these call for inspiration from one of the late great orators of our time. (even though blatently plugged Jim Crocket Promotions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:30 pm

^It seems like a great reel though - Buy it!!! ;)

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Tim Little wrote: @Hobeybaker & @freelancer27 - Im sorry you guys felt like the Antares 70 first look video was a “Shimano Ad,” and that Matt and I are less credible because of it. Shimano didn’t pay us for this video.
It just felt like an ad to me because you guys usually break down everything thoroughly. This video just felt like this reels awesome with no substance (which is unlike 99% of your other videos). Is it an awesome caster distance wise, control for skipping, pitching, ergonomics, etc. Just answers to some basic real world application. Maybe it's great in all of those areas. I wasn't expecting a teardown like a reel specialist would do.

Maybe I got the idea since it seemed like you used to use a lot more brands, but now you use a lot of Shimano stuff (Conquest, Expride, and NRX rods for example). Everyone has their own preferences and I understand they change. I do like watching your videos and usually pick up a tip or two each time I watch. If you want to film some kayak fishing videos, I'd be happy to go with you guys on the upper Mississippi River for some epic smallmouth and largemouth action.

User avatar
rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:40 am

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by rp346 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:Back to the 2019 Antares....

(this references nothing on this thread besides the reel at hand)
Occassionally we all fall into a scenerio of "Hard Times". Most recently I was seriously considering buying the 2019 Antares, my first "real" Shimano Reel. Thanks to Egore1 and his thourough and in-depth insight into this reel it was exposed that the handle apparently cannot be swapped out, Hard Times. My finger immediatly came off the buy button. My other finger simultanously was lifted from buy button on the Livre Feather 95 handle. A path to the Shimano realm had been squashed again. Hard Times like these call for inspiration from one of the late great orators of our time. (even though blatently plugged Jim Crocket Promotions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU
Not sure why you would feel the handle cannot be swapped out. Yes it is true the offset is built into the handle instead of the drag star but even Egore stated he was going to look into it further. I also agree that I cannot just take some of my other Shimano handles and bolt them on without some more research however that is what spacers are for. Started swapping out handles back in the day when Bassart was hot and they included spacers for that purpose. If you look around you will see that handle mfgr's still make optional spacers....My point is don't let that deter you from buying the reel because it is one very sweet little reel....Hope this brightens your day a little .

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:42 am

I have been looking and reading up on this reel, and I like it a lot. It just may be the first Shimano I've owned in long time.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Post Reply