Antares 2019?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Antares 2019?

Post by egore1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:Back to the 2019 Antares....

(this references nothing on this thread besides the reel at hand)
Occassionally we all fall into a scenerio of "Hard Times". Most recently I was seriously considering buying the 2019 Antares, my first "real" Shimano Reel. Thanks to Egore1 and his thourough and in-depth insight into this reel it was exposed that the handle apparently cannot be swapped out, Hard Times. My finger immediatly came off the buy button. My other finger simultanously was lifted from buy button on the Livre Feather 95 handle. A path to the Shimano realm had been squashed again. Hard Times like these call for inspiration from one of the late great orators of our time. (even though blatently plugged Jim Crocket Promotions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU
Please do not let my review thwart your decision, the handle issue I mentioned is not much of a hurdle. Different handles can be used with the addition of a spacer, I just wanted to point out that things are not a direct swap. I threw on a spacer to temporarily put on a 96mm Curado handle and used a Core 50 nut plate and cap to change things up, I will be searching for a darker color handle now.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 am

egore1 wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:Back to the 2019 Antares....

(this references nothing on this thread besides the reel at hand)
Occassionally we all fall into a scenerio of "Hard Times". Most recently I was seriously considering buying the 2019 Antares, my first "real" Shimano Reel. Thanks to Egore1 and his thourough and in-depth insight into this reel it was exposed that the handle apparently cannot be swapped out, Hard Times. My finger immediatly came off the buy button. My other finger simultanously was lifted from buy button on the Livre Feather 95 handle. A path to the Shimano realm had been squashed again. Hard Times like these call for inspiration from one of the late great orators of our time. (even though blatently plugged Jim Crocket Promotions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU
Please do not let my review thwart your decision, the handle issue I mentioned is not much of a hurdle. Different handles can be used with the addition of a spacer, I just wanted to point out that things are not a direct swap. I threw on a spacer to temporarily put on a 96mm Curado handle and used a Core 50 nut plate and cap to change things up, I will be searching for a darker color handle now.

Nice looking reel! What are you planning to use it for? What line are you running?

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:57 am

[/quote]Nice looking reel! What are you planning to use it for? What line are you running?[/quote]

I have 12# Tatsu on it right now, where to place it is a big question. It will likely begin on an 893 or 854 for a while. Won't be surprised if it ends up on the 854 for small swim baits, spinnerbaits and so on, that is if the reel weight bogs down the 893. Not sure when fishing will open up for me, hopefully hit the season in earnest in a few weeks. We've had a lot of water recently and snow in high elevations has kept me from trailering my boat anywhere.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:18 pm

egore1 wrote:
Nice looking reel! What are you planning to use it for? What line are you running?[/quote]

I have 12# Tatsu on it right now, where to place it is a big question. It will likely begin on an 893 or 854 for a while. Won't be surprised if it ends up on the 854 for small swim baits, spinnerbaits and so on, that is if the reel weight bogs down the 893. Not sure when fishing will open up for me, hopefully hit the season in earnest in a few weeks. We've had a lot of water recently and snow in high elevations has kept me from trailering my boat anywhere.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! Did you check how much of 12# Tatsu you got onto the reel? I am evaluating if this reel would make a good 1/2oz Jig reel. But I would need enough 12 # Shooter on it.

Thanks again.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:08 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
egore1 wrote:
Nice looking reel! What are you planning to use it for? What line are you running?
I have 12# Tatsu on it right now, where to place it is a big question. It will likely begin on an 893 or 854 for a while. Won't be surprised if it ends up on the 854 for small swim baits, spinnerbaits and so on, that is if the reel weight bogs down the 893. Not sure when fishing will open up for me, hopefully hit the season in earnest in a few weeks. We've had a lot of water recently and snow in high elevations has kept me from trailering my boat anywhere.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! Did you check how much of 12# Tatsu you got onto the reel? I am evaluating if this reel would make a good 1/2oz Jig reel. But I would need enough 12 # Shooter on it.

Thanks again.[/quote]

I did not measure the amount installed on the spool, but I will say it has plenty of line remaining on the spool after a long cast. I would think a 70 series reel should be fine for most bass fishing techniques. No hard numbers from me though, I don't own anything to measure line capacity aside from laying it out and using a measuring wheel. It will have no issue with capacity casting a 1/2oz jig unless you are fishing vertically in 60ft of water. I am curious how the reel would hold up fishing nasty cover, it seems really powerful and feels sturdy.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:24 am

With that Curado handle on the Antares - are they alternative handle knobs? They don't look like any regular knobs off a Curado... Rather like the Tranx knobs / end garnish caps.

Its getting hard to get get decent knobs as the new schematics off these new reels are now not BNT numbering their knobs - just have to buy the complete handle assembly.

TIA.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Slazmo wrote:With that Curado handle on the Antares - are they alternative handle knobs? They don't look like any regular knobs off a Curado... Rather like the Tranx knobs / end garnish caps.

Its getting hard to get get decent knobs as the new schematics off these new reels are now not BNT numbering their knobs - just have to buy the complete handle assembly.

TIA.
They are the factory knobs, I've noticed they aren't offering the break out of parts to order knobs too. This newer generation of Shimano knobs seems less prone to issues than the Septon series though so at least I don't feel like what I have will require replacement anytime soon. I have some Yumeya corks I tried on the reel but they just weren't as comfy as the stock knobs. I have an Avail handle on the way from Japan so if it fits properly then we might have a final configuration pic coming up :mrgreen:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:24 pm

egore1 wrote:They are the factory knobs, I've noticed they aren't offering the break out of parts to order knobs too. This newer generation of Shimano knobs seems less prone to issues than the Septon series though so at least I don't feel like what I have will require replacement anytime soon. I have some Yumeya corks I tried on the reel but they just weren't as comfy as the stock knobs. I have an Avail handle on the way from Japan so if it fits properly then we might have a final configuration pic coming up :mrgreen:
Keenly awaiting pictures. In the time of response I sourced some 2012 Antares knobs, the chrome end cap isn't ideal but it's a far nicer knob than the original that comes on the CU DC, just wish the end caps were black to make it less stand out'ish...

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Stock knob on Antares 19 and 18 Bantam XG MGL....Image ...the knob on the right is the stock one and the one on the left is the Bantam. The part # is BNT5767 it also comes on the Curado 200XGK if you look on the schematic you will not see a part number for the knob only, however if you scroll down you will find it in the parts listing.

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Here is what they look like on the reel.......Image

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 am

rp346 wrote:Here is what they look like on the reel.......Image
What kind of handle is that it looks sweet

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:16 am

bronzebacks wrote:
What kind of handle is that it looks sweet
It is a Hawgtech 102......

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:10 pm

Slazmo wrote:
egore1 wrote:They are the factory knobs, I've noticed they aren't offering the break out of parts to order knobs too. This newer generation of Shimano knobs seems less prone to issues than the Septon series though so at least I don't feel like what I have will require replacement anytime soon. I have some Yumeya corks I tried on the reel but they just weren't as comfy as the stock knobs. I have an Avail handle on the way from Japan so if it fits properly then we might have a final configuration pic coming up :mrgreen:
Keenly awaiting pictures. In the time of response I sourced some 2012 Antares knobs, the chrome end cap isn't ideal but it's a far nicer knob than the original that comes on the CU DC, just wish the end caps were black to make it less stand out'ish...
There is a box at the post office from Hedgehog waiting for my signature, this sad clown worked too much this week :-({|=
I will likely get it together Monday and then share some pictures!

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Nice one!

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:35 am

Hello, Friends!
What is the heaviest lure you used with this reel? And what do you think: which maximum weight of lure for Antares 2019?