Reel Selection

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel Selection

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:28 pm

I do an upgrade the lineup style sell. Right now my old Tatula Type R is in last, but serves purpose on a Heavy rod w/ 50lb braid fine. On the spinning side the Revo STX is about to go for a better spinner. Same thing with rods, always look to replace via upgrade. Not sure what I will do when my Zillion TWS reels are oldest/least quality, they have sentimental value (presents) and that is the last I will ever sell, they will go into a reel library past that. Rods are different though, I don't feel attached to them and could upgrade with any brand at any time as long as it works for a certain technique.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Usually for me, I want to try new stuff. I been "down grading" reels and getting less expensive ones that are like 90% of the performance....thats what I keep telling myself.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:53 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
new2BC4bass wrote:
Patex wrote: One of my favorite platform is Alphas, don't ask me how many of them I have... :D
I think I am up to 8 Alphas reels. Tim needs to stop selling me his. :laugh1:
Just counted....I have 10 variants at the moment, including 4 NIB TD Sol....I keep telling myself, "It's a healthy obsession".... 8-[
I have 7 and I thought that is too many :lol:

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:50 am

I don't sell reels often but if I do, it's because I either do not like it for it's intended application or I have found something I like more.

The last reel I sold was an FX73SV-110 and only reason I sold it was I felt someone else would appreciate it more.

I ended up buying a Bantam with the proceeds of the FX and now I am really considering selling some other reels off to get more Bantams. I just really like them.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:11 am

Rule of thumb is that I wait until the prices fall.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:26 am

I sell reels all the time, I'd switch up rods more if they were cheaper to ship. I generally sell simply to try gear I haven't tried yet. Usually I'll sell between Shimano and Daiwa, sell off all Shimano's to try the latest Daiwa's then once I've tried them I'll sell the Daiwa's to try the latest Shimano's.

It's a sickness with no cure.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 am

ss30378 wrote:I sell reels all the time, I'd switch up rods more if they were cheaper to ship. I generally sell simply to try gear I haven't tried yet. Usually I'll sell between Shimano and Daiwa, sell off all Shimano's to try the latest Daiwa's then once I've tried them I'll sell the Daiwa's to try the latest Shimano's.

It's a sickness with no cure.
At least you sell off. I just seem to accumulate ...

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:26 am

When I purchase a new reel, I sell the one it replaced. I can't stand having a reel sitting around collecting dust. I would rather it find a happy home.