New swimbait reel selection

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New swimbait reel selection

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:39 am

I'm getting ready to buy a reel for my first swimbait rod. I would say dedicated swimbait rod, but I'm sure it will get other things tossed on it in a pinch but it will be a 90% swimbait use rod. The rod is being build for me right now. I've been studying swimbaiting and watching a lot of youtube guys who specialize in swimbaiting. My question is do you really need an ultra-heavy duty round reel or massive salt water type reel?? I've seen so many guys throwing them on aluminum workhorse reels like the OG Zillions, Zillion TW 2015 reels, Bantams, hell even Curados quite a bit. I was planning on purchasing a Zillion OG or some other heavier duty low profile reel but not a true tank like a massive round reel. Any recommendations that I may have overlooked? If I did step up to a specialty reel I was looking at the Tranx 200, but from what I can tell it's really just a Curado with stronger drag and a longer handle...

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New swimbait reel selection

Post by Revofisher » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 am

honestly it depends on the type and weight of swim baits you are throwing. If you are going to throw the 10 oz baits then i would probably look at the heavy duty reels such as conquest / calcutta 400. I throw a ton of glide baits now and have been for the past few years and mine are 2- 6 0z range mostly and I have found he new curado to actually get the job done fine with these baits. i have two rods set up with tranx 300s aslo for swim baiting and they hold up well very powerful reel. the tranx 200 would be a good choice as well even though it seems it is the same as the curado 200 k but the tranx doesn't have the micro module gears, and im sure there are some other differences. I dont think you absolutely have to have the beast reels they just help with durabiltiy in the long run from taking the abuse of swim baiting.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:23 am

Revofisher wrote:honestly it depends on the type and weight of swim baits you are throwing. If you are going to throw the 10 oz baits then i would probably look at the heavy duty reels such as conquest / calcutta 400. I throw a ton of glide baits now and have been for the past few years and mine are 2- 6 0z range mostly and I have found he new curado to actually get the job done fine with these baits. i have two rods set up with tranx 300s aslo for swim baiting and they hold up well very powerful reel. the tranx 200 would be a good choice as well even though it seems it is the same as the curado 200 k but the tranx doesn't have the micro module gears, and im sure there are some other differences. I dont think you absolutely have to have the beast reels they just help with durabiltiy in the long run from taking the abuse of swim baiting.
Thanks I’m planning to throw 2-7 oz with 90% of that being around that 3-6 oz size that’s common. May try a 10” hud or possibly a Deps 250 size Bait but sub 7oz usually. Nice to hear on the Curado! I’ve heard people say the larger reels have more line capacity but honestly when would anyone need to throw a bait 80 plus yards?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:02 pm

The thing with chucking big baits is that you need fairly thick line to save you losing too many expensive baits. Thick line and small reels are poor bedfellows as the spool diameter, and therefore retrieve rate drops very quickly as you cast out. The same line on a larger sized spool wouldn't drop the level as dramatically, especially with wider spooled reels. You can use small reels but f you're looking to optimize your tackle, then a larger reel will be beneficial.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:The thing with chucking big baits is that you need fairly thick line to save you losing too many expensive baits. Thick line and small reels are poor bedfellows as the spool diameter, and therefore retrieve rate drops very quickly as you cast out. The same line on a larger sized spool wouldn't drop the level as dramatically, especially with wider spooled reels. You can use small reels but f you're looking to optimize your tackle, then a larger reel will be beneficial.
This. I have a 5501 ambassaduer on my deep cranking/small big bait rod because even though I have no chance of casting anywhere near all that line off the retrieve rate stays pretty much constant the whole time, plus I get bigger, more powerful low ratio gears. I only use 30# braid to 16-20# leader to maximize casting distance and running depth, so there's practically no impact on line retrieval for me. I could spool the whole thing up with 20# fluoro and still have no chance of spooling it throwing what I do with it.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:56 pm

The Zillion HD 1620 is what you want, if youre looking for a low-pro reel that has good line capacity (100 meters or 110 yds of 20# mono). Pretty sure you can get it in the CC 5.5 gear or 6.3.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:27 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:The Zillion HD 1620 is what you want, if youre looking for a low-pro reel that has good line capacity (100 meters or 110 yds of 20# mono). Pretty sure you can get it in the CC 5.5 gear or 6.3.
About the exact capacity i would like! I'm not familiar with that Zillion variant I'll have to research but I'm assuming $$$pricey :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:33 pm

Samuel_b wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:The Zillion HD 1620 is what you want, if youre looking for a low-pro reel that has good line capacity (100 meters or 110 yds of 20# mono). Pretty sure you can get it in the CC 5.5 gear or 6.3.
About the exact capacity i would like! I'm not familiar with that Zillion variant I'll have to research but I'm assuming $$$pricey :lol:
https://japanlureshop.com/catalogsearch ... Zillion+hd+
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:37 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Samuel_b wrote:
https://japanlureshop.com/catalogsearch ... Zillion+hd+
I take it you meant 1520? I did see the Tatula limited or HD or something in purple and black on sale on JPL...sounded heavy duty and looked like possibly built off the old TWS Zillion platform and I think all Aluminum.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Yes, I just mis-typed. Dang fat thumbs on this little screen is not a good combination!

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:17 pm

I use baits 2-8oz. Mostly im using TD Pluton and Z2020 for biggest lures and TD-Z BBS and Shimano Chronarch 200E7 for smaller swimbaits and jerkbaits.