Zillion TWS feedback from owners?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Zillion TWS feedback from owners?

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:51 am

Did these reels ever have problems with grooving like the first reels with t-wing? I'm thinking of getting one for my dedicated swimbait reel, as they're relatively cheap now and hold enough line. Thanks so much dudes!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion TWS feedback from owners?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:10 am

No, and I never had any issues with that on a Tatula either.
This is the way.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:11 am

poisonokie wrote:No, and I never had any issues with that on a Tatula either.

Thanks man!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:50 pm

I have the JDM version of the Zillion TW 1516. No problems here. 50lb braid all the way.
<")))><{

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:05 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:I have the JDM version of the Zillion TW 1516. No problems here. 50lb braid all the way.
I have the JDM Zillion TW 1516 x6 GREAT REEL

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 pm

I have 2, one 7.3 and one 9.1, changed the 9.1 to 7.3 gears and added the semi-BFS spool back when available. I love mine, they have the smaller T-wing so there should be no chance of grooving. My Tatula Type R original did groove, but it was a scratch on the outside (1st time) and would catch line then pile up on one side. They replaced it with another thick original Tatula T-wing and I found the original groove issue. The 2nd replacement they used the Zillion TWS T-wing and it hasn't happened again, that is using my Type R 8.1 with 50lb braid for medium swimbaits and small umbrella rigs. I use one Zillion TWS with 30lb braid and semi-BFS spool for topwater on a 6'6"Medium Avid X and the other on a 7'6"MH cranking rod for chatterbaits and medium/large cranks. I really like them and wish so bad I had ordered a second semi-BFS spool. With that spool I can outcast both my Chronarch MGL and Zillion SV TW.

Overall the Zillion TWS has been a great reel for me. I used it for a LONG time with 15lb InvizX on a 7'3"MH for all general purpose fishing, including my staple of finesse swimbaits. The Zillion TWS cast a 3/16 head and 3.3" Keitech Swing Impact FAT well enough for me with stock spool.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:33 am

The Zillion TWS have been solid performers, take them to Mexico and work them hard, have not had a problem.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:42 am

i mostly run shimanos and had a bunch of sv 103s that i sold ( regrets) anyhow i picked up a zillion sv tw last week from tackle trap and i really like this thing, cant help with durability over the long run in regards of only having the reel for a short while. Great all around reel though cast light stuff great and can do some heavier task as well.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:47 am

i mostly run shimanos and had a bunch of sv 103s that i sold ( regrets) anyhow i picked up a zillion sv tw last week from tackle trap and i really like this thing, cant help with durability over the long run in regards of only having the reel for a short while. Great all around reel though cast light stuff great and can do some heavier task as well.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:39 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I have 2, one 7.3 and one 9.1, changed the 9.1 to 7.3 gears and added the semi-BFS spool back when available. I love mine, they have the smaller T-wing so there should be no chance of grooving. My Tatula Type R original did groove, but it was a scratch on the outside (1st time) and would catch line then pile up on one side. They replaced it with another thick original Tatula T-wing and I found the original groove issue. The 2nd replacement they used the Zillion TWS T-wing and it hasn't happened again, that is using my Type R 8.1 with 50lb braid for medium swimbaits and small umbrella rigs. I use one Zillion TWS with 30lb braid and semi-BFS spool for topwater on a 6'6"Medium Avid X and the other on a 7'6"MH cranking rod for chatterbaits and medium/large cranks. I really like them and wish so bad I had ordered a second semi-BFS spool. With that spool I can outcast both my Chronarch MGL and Zillion SV TW.

Overall the Zillion TWS has been a great reel for me. I used it for a LONG time with 15lb InvizX on a 7'3"MH for all general purpose fishing, including my staple of finesse swimbaits. The Zillion TWS cast a 3/16 head and 3.3" Keitech Swing Impact FAT well enough for me with stock spool.
You got those 9.1 gears still? I may be interested in them if they are lefty.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:11 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I have 2, one 7.3 and one 9.1, changed the 9.1 to 7.3 gears and added the semi-BFS spool back when available. I love mine, they have the smaller T-wing so there should be no chance of grooving. My Tatula Type R original did groove, but it was a scratch on the outside (1st time) and would catch line then pile up on one side. They replaced it with another thick original Tatula T-wing and I found the original groove issue. The 2nd replacement they used the Zillion TWS T-wing and it hasn't happened again, that is using my Type R 8.1 with 50lb braid for medium swimbaits and small umbrella rigs. I use one Zillion TWS with 30lb braid and semi-BFS spool for topwater on a 6'6"Medium Avid X and the other on a 7'6"MH cranking rod for chatterbaits and medium/large cranks. I really like them and wish so bad I had ordered a second semi-BFS spool. With that spool I can outcast both my Chronarch MGL and Zillion SV TW.

You got those 9.1 gears still? I may be interested in them if they are lefty.
Negative, they are right handed gears, ironically I am left handed, but that is because it makes sense for me to not switch hands. Still want to learn left hand reel fishing...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Negative, they are right handed gears, ironically I am left handed, but that is because it makes sense for me to not switch hands. Still want to learn left hand reel fishing...
No, that makes perfect sense. I know this has been hashed and re-hashed and smoke hashed and hashed browned on this forum, but it's just more ergonomically correct to palm the reel with your dominant hand. I'm right handed and using so-called right hand reels feels so unnatural as to be nearly impossible for me to do. Especially with single hook and bottom contact, I would never get a proper hookset.

My boy is a southpaw and though he's only almost 5 years old I'm concerned he won't like using any of my left handed equipment down the road. He seems pretty ambidextrous, so maybe it won't be an issue for him. And maybe I'm just the weird one and left handed people really should use left handed reels...
This is the way.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:28 am

poisonokie wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:
No, that makes perfect sense. I know this has been hashed and re-hashed and smoke hashed and hashed browned on this forum, but it's just more ergonomically correct to palm the reel with your dominant hand. I'm right handed and using so-called right hand reels feels so unnatural as to be nearly impossible for me to do. Especially with single hook and bottom contact, I would never get a proper hookset.

My boy is a southpaw and though he's only almost 5 years old I'm concerned he won't like using any of my left handed equipment down the road. He seems pretty ambidextrous, so maybe it won't be an issue for him. And maybe I'm just the weird one and left handed people really should use left handed reels...
What he said!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:43 am

The biggest problem for this platform is that it does not palm well if you palm with 3 fingers in front of the trigger. In the US is very common to cast with only one finger in front of the trigger and whip the rod when casting then palm the reel with 3 finger in front of the trigger often switching hand in the process of switching grip between casting and palming. Palming the reel with 3 fingers in front of the trigger presses the mag dial into your palming hand index finger. In the Japanse videos I noticed that a lot of guys use left hand reels and palm with only 2 fingers in front of the trigger and some even cast it this way with a gentle casting motion. Palming the reel this way does not cause ergonomic issues with this platform that it does when palming with 3 fingers in front of the trigger. I wonder if they even take these things into consideration when designing a reel.