Help me choose a Tatula

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ajw18
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help me choose a Tatula

Post by ajw18 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:44 am

Interested in y'all's opinions. Looking to pick up one or two new Tatulas while the Tackle Trap has them on sale. Probably looking for a deep cranker and maybe a finesse cranker.

Couple of questions,
I have a 5.5 Tatula CT on my big crankbait rod at the moment. Do y'all think one of the new Tatula 150s would be a noticeable improvement or is it close enough of a difference to get a reel for a different application and keep the CT? If the 150 is significantly better for big cranks, do I need the 5.4 or would the 6.3 work just as well? I know low ratio is prescribed for deep cranking but 6.3 seems more versatile. With the large handle and gear of the 150, is the low ratio needed?

Speaking of different applications, I'm also setting up a finesse crank setup (really for any very light, treble bait hooks; dislike cranking with a spinning reel). For the money, what should i use for shad raps, poppers, etc.? I have the aforementioned, Tatula CT 5.5 that I could use if i get a 150 to replace it and I have several CT 6.3 I could use. Or, I could buy a new Tatula 100 or Tatula SV. If buying a reel to crank light baits, is it worth the extra to get the SV or would the standard (and cheaper) Tat do the job?

Thanks for the help.

FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Re: Help me choose a Tatula

Post by FishingwithBranden » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:54 am

I think the SV is a "do-it-all" kind of reel and would good for anything including cranking. I have the Tatula 100 and the lighter balsa wood cranks are easy to throw unless you have any kind of wind whatsoever.

The Tatula HD would be a good idea for the deeper cranks, but any of them can handle the load. The tatula line is my favorite dollar for dollar reel as you get much more than what you pay for.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Help me choose a Tatula

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:15 pm

For the cranks that otherwise require a spinning reel, like the #5 Shad Rap, a Tatula of any variation isnt gonna cut it (if you want any kind of distance out of it). I would suggest finding a nice used Pixy, which are available cheap on the boards from time to time. For the biggest cranks, like the 10XD, a Tatula 150 in the 5.5 gear would be ideal, since it has an aluminum gear-side plate. Anything smaller than that and I think the Tat CT you already have will be fine.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.