Am I stupid to buy a Steez A and swap the spool with my new Morethan?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Am I stupid to buy a Steez A and swap the spool with my new Morethan?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:02 pm

poisonokie wrote:
domthewon wrote:
poisonokie wrote:I'm just thinking from the lip of the spool down to the arbor. 4mm sounds like a big difference whereas 2mm doesn't so much.
Got it. Thought you might have been doing some sort or radius measurement or something. It really surprised me when I took the measurements how different they are.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. In my mind the difference between the spool lip and arbor radii is what makes the practical difference. Maybe not, I don't know.
If both spools are 34mm O.D., then the smaller diameter of the middle section will equate to higher line capacity vs the Morethan spool.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
domthewon wrote:
poisonokie wrote:I'm just thinking from the lip of the spool down to the arbor. 4mm sounds like a big difference whereas 2mm doesn't so much.
Got it. Thought you might have been doing some sort or radius measurement or something. It really surprised me when I took the measurements how different they are.
That's kind of what I'm thinking. In my mind the difference between the spool lip and arbor radii is what makes the practical difference. Maybe not, I don't know.
If both spools are 34mm O.D., then the smaller diameter of the middle section will equate to higher line capacity vs the Morethan spool.
My initial thoughts when I posted the pics. Thanks for keeping it simple.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:55 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
poisonokie wrote:
domthewon wrote:
I get that, but I don't think that's as clear as far as line capacity goes because it can't possibly be any deeper than 17mm. Like if a spool is 10mm from lip to arbor you wouldn't say the spool depth is 20mm. You can at most put a 10mm layer of line on it. If you reduce the arbor diameter by 4mm you're really only able to layer on an additional 2mm of line around a smaller circumference, which when talking about 16# test is what? 10 yards? I don't know. It doesn't matter. It clearly holds more line, just not that much.
This is the way.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 pm

freelancer27 wrote:Hi all,

I have the new Morethan that I am using on my heavy Jig rod with 16# Fluro. Great reel and works and looks beautifully with my Steez XBD Frog rod. Only little prob that I have is that the line capacity on the Morethan's stock spool is a bit on the low side.

Since I want to get a new reel for my 1/2oz Jig rod I am considering buying a Steez A 8.1:1. I would then swap the spool of the Steez A with the spool of the Morethan, since the Steez A's should hold quite a bit more line.

I am wondering if there is anything that I should be aware of before making this switch. The Morethan's spool looks a bit different (it seems to have added 'stabilizers', if I understand this correct).

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
It doesn't end there, with a "quick swap" from a reel you will purchase. It must transpire into a full blown spool addiction! All joking aside I haven't experienced any issues swapping spools into my Morethan reels. My problem is that I haven't had enough time to try all of my collection in the reel yet, just a ZPI PG, RCS G1 1016, and Zillion spool thus far.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:So does the Steez A spool actually hold more capacity of line than the Morethan spool?

Morethan: 200 Meters of 1.5 PE (generally referred to as .205mm)
Steez A: 100 Meters of 16# Nylon (generally referred to as .370 mm)

Anyone with any other techinical input?
The Steez A holds 100 meters (110 yards) of .330 and assuming you're numbers are right on the Morethan PE you just do the following calculation:

.205/.330 = .62 (62% of the line capacity) So you take .62 x 110 = the Morethan holds 68 yards of 16#. To me that's still plenty of line for jigs...that's how I use those numbers to tell how much of a specified line diameter a reel will hold

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am

Samuel_b wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:So does the Steez A spool actually hold more capacity of line than the Morethan spool?

The Steez A holds 100 meters (110 yards) of .330 and assuming you're numbers are right on the Morethan PE you just do the following calculation:

.205/.330 = .62 (62% of the line capacity) So you take .62 x 110 = the Morethan holds 68 yards of 16#. To me that's still plenty of line for jigs...that's how I use those numbers to tell how much of a specified line diameter a reel will hold
Your calculations seems to account that the Morethan spool hold 100 meters of .205 (1.5 PE), It is listed on the spool as 200 meters of 1.5 PE. With that said, based on the spool measurements, it's pretty clear the Steez A hold more line, even though I don't think their line listing reflects that fact.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 am

Samuel_b wrote:

Yeah for Jig fishing the Morethan's line capacity is absolutely sufficient. It is just that when I am bombing a 4.8 Keitech from the bank there is literally only 10 yards left on the reel. And if I hook into a 10-pounder right when the lure hits the water at my cast and the fish starts a hard run... just imagine! ;)

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:56 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Samuel_b wrote:

Your calculations seems to account that the Morethan spool hold 100 meters of .205 (1.5 PE), It is listed on the spool as 200 meters of 1.5 PE. With that said, based on the spool measurements, it's pretty clear the Steez A hold more line, even though I don't think their line listing reflects that fact.
My mistake I didn’t see that lol. I was supposed to take 62% times the capacity of the PE (200 meters) which would give you 124 meters so something isn't right with their numbers. I know I had a Shallow PE spool for the OG Zillion and it held somewhere around 90 yards of .285 like 12 pound test or something like that.