Reel for MB Destroyer FMJ

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel for MB Destroyer FMJ

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:48 pm

I currently have a Metanium MGL on my destroyer FMJ but was thinking about picking up one of the Steez reels for this rod. Am I better off with the SV TWS or the A TW? I don't think the new CT SV can handle enough line, I use 16lb Sniper with that set up.

Also open to other considerations

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel for MB Destroyer FMJ

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:17 pm

8.1 is available for the SV TW and the A TW. The 2 you mentioned take a variety of spools to fit your fancy. The CT would be cutting it close with 16lb FC, unless pitching only.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:10 pm

I am such a big fan of the FMJ that we customized a reel just for it, and to match of course. TT builds custom speed Daiwa Zillion SV TW (among other models) at the shop. My choice is a LH 9:1 built off the gold accented 6.3:1 model with a Gold ZPI PG spool, gold ZPI star, and matching ZPI mechanical brake knob... It's a very fun combo.

Between Steez SV TW and Steez A in stock form, I'd pick Steez A for the FMJ myself.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Morethan 8.6

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 am

I have a Steez SV TW on my FMJ and it makes the combo a little tip heavy. It is, however, crazy light in hand. I stuck a sv103 reel on and it balanced better but felt far heavier. I think the Steez A, being in the middle of those two in weight, would be ideal. I keep going back-and-forth about picking one up but the SVTW makes the combo feel so damn light for how much power it has, I think I might be willing to live with a little tip heaviness. One of these days I’m going to buy a 90mm metal handle and stick it on there to see if adding a little more weight over the stock handle improves it noticeably.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 pm

Looks like the Steez A in 8.1 is only available in Japan. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger, is there anything I need to worry about when buying a reel overseas? I guess if there are any problems with the reel, customer support may be one issue.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dustys60 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:01 pm

I got a steez sv non tw on mine in 8.1. I love that combo

ResoKP
Angler
Angler

Post by ResoKP » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:57 am

I tried both reels on the FMJ before buying. Went with Steez A because it balanced better. Steez SV was too tip-heavy.

Currently, I have the new morethan PE 1000 on the FMJ only because it looks better.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:03 pm

ResoKP wrote:I tried both reels on the FMJ before buying. Went with Steez A because it balanced better. Steez SV was too tip-heavy.

Currently, I have the new morethan PE 1000 on the FMJ only because it looks better.
Any reason to go for the morethan over the Steez A other than cosmetics? Do they perform the same? I don't plan to use braid with the reel, I'm more of a fluoro guy - I believe I get more bites that way.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Currently, I have the new morethan PE 1000 on the FMJ only because it looks better.[/quote]

Any reason to go for the morethan over the Steez A other than cosmetics? Do they perform the same? I don't plan to use braid with the reel, I'm more of a fluoro guy - I believe I get more bites that way.[/quote]

The Morethan really looks nice on the Destroyer rods, the 7.1 feels similar to my Steez A but and my 8.1 has smoother gears. They are mainly bling bling...!!
I kept the PE spool in one on a Valdivia and am using a Zpi PG in the other on the FMJ with fluoro and don't have any regrets.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:25 am

I’ve got a Steez A on mine... as said it balances better than the Steez SV TW. Great combo.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:32 am

scrapiron wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:25 am
I’ve got a Steez A on mine... as said it balances better than the Steez SV TW. Great combo.
Are you using the stock spool? I made a post on the enthusiast forum about which spool would be ideal for 15lb fluoro and 3/8 - 1 ounce baits. Wondering if the stock will be good or if it's worth picking up one of the ZPI spools.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Get a steez A, then put an sv spool in it. Balance and skipping

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 am

I've got one with the stock spool and one with a 1016 SV G1 spool in it. Both with 30# Sufix 832. The G1 spins up a little faster, maybe casts a bit longer; has the SV advantage. They're on different rods (FMJ & Javelin) so it's not apples to apples.