Daiwa LT spinning reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa LT spinning reels

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:26 pm

I have a couple of the LT reels, a Fuego and a Ballistic, and really like them. I have one gripe though and wonder if it's only me, or it's a common issue. The new design has the drag knob reaching nearly all the way to the spool lip and it is very easy to move. I find myself brushing against it a few times a day when I'm opening the bail and I hear the drag moving a few clicks. Is it only me? Has anyone addressed it? Can the drag knob be made stiffer and a bit more difficult to turn accidentally?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa LT spinning reels

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am

Just me then. :lol:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm

I've been fishing Fuego LT, Tatula LT, Ballistic LT, and Exist LT for some time now and haven't had the same issue you describe. Hope that makes you feel better :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:34 pm

:lol: :lol: Thank you.

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 pm

I too am experiencing this. I don't even know I brush the drag setting and I hear it ticking. I am using a Fuego LT currently for panfish, I have found the drag knob just doesn't tighten down enough to be set in a stable position. Flip the bail, grab the line and I hear the drag knob ticking.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:02 pm

I have fished some of the LT reels and have not encountered this problem, but in all honesty my time with them has been limited. I hope to fish with some of the spinning reels this week and will watch for this problem.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:46 pm

I haven't encountered this issue with my Exist LT.

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:23 pm

I think my problem has to do with the light setting I am using the drag at. The drag knob spins pretty freely because I am not tightening it down, rather fishing panfish on 4lb test.

It is as if the drag tension knob does have enough tension. I am also using a new BG 1500 with no problems.

The Tatula is a great reel for the price and the few ticks it turns wont impact the drag setting but I do hear it click a few times during use.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 pm

Glad it's not just me then. I've found that if I set the drag knob to a north south kind of position I hit it less often than if it's east west, so as a 1/4 turn doesn't make much difference to the actual setting, I try to do that.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:28 am

I just received my Ballistic LT and it make some slight grinding noise when reeling. Is this expected?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 am

No. But spinning an empty reel straight out of the box is very different to fishing with it.

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 am

I bought my first Fuego LT after turning the handle and playing with a demo from my local Pro shops reel case. I generally put my own line on at home so I didn't open the new reel box in store. I returned home to spool it up and when i put the handle on and turned it the first time I found a reel far different from the demo.

When turning the handle there were sticking points on retrieve, at numerous points it got hard to turn small seizure points. When I took the handle and give it a free fast spin it made that sound of air rushing through the rotor (normal) but also made a sound like a turbo engine winding up, very odd. The reel was very tight for some reason. I assumed too much lube or oil or something but didn't want to take a chance.

I fished it once, on an ultra light fishing 1/32 oz jigs, the reel issues completely killed that trip, it was too hard to retrieve and eliminated the advantages I expected my new St Croix 7lxf Legen elite panfish rod would afford me.

I returned it and the store told me on occasion they have out of box failures from every manufacturer. they exchanged it and spooled it up for me.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sat May 04, 2019 2:40 pm

I have noticed that with some new reels these days, sometimes it takes a little breaking in before they get silky smooth. Some of my reels didnt get smooth until after several trips to the lake. I' m not sure if manufacturers are using more grease on the internals or what.