Curado e Revision series info

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado e Revision series info

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm

With that drag pressure plate - the stamped stainless steel run of the mill "pickle & ham sandwich" part been around forever vs the newer anodised aluminium washer which looks a lot more refined in its manufacturing and anodising, I'm assuming this is aluminium now for heat dissipation (not just to shave a couple of grams) for that poor ole dartanium washer...

The amount of time spent on the aluminium part would eclips that of the stainless... I know the top key drag washer in the Biomaster reels which is made from aluminium is around $14 vs the stainless in the Stradic FA which was about $6. Personally I'd go the stainless steel option with carbon washers especially.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:43 pm

They could be using two different molds for the side plates depending on the age of the reel. There are always small running changes that take place, but typically the reels are not marked with revisions like you mentioned. To be honest I never noticed it while those reels were being made and sold. Molds can and do wear out. This could have been the reason for the markings changing. Maybe one of the other parts being used was changed due to tooling wear, so the side plate was revided to reflect that dimension change. It happens.

The only changes that took place were the key washer and roller clutch inner tube length that I can remember. I know there were some adjustment changes to the 201 models for the turn key access. The first ones were backwards for LH reels and the shims were too thick. We had some reels side plates not lock correctly, but that was isolated to one production run and very few reels with the shim issues.

Paint fluctuations can happen with heavy flake paint. The paint is all mixed and at the end of the spray cycles the flakes can settle some. From what I know this was a pearl paint that shifted color. It has to sprayed over a black base to make it work. If the paint is applied to light or heavy it can alter the look. Shape of the parts can alter the appearance colors too. Fade from the UV exposure it can change the way it looks also, either by damage to the clear coat or the paint colors. The human eye can see/pick up more shades of green easier than any other color. So when the green fades or changes it will make the copper look brighter or different. It's normal and nothing that was changed during the life of the reel. I suspect it was due to demand. Sales of the E series were pretty high for a while and the factory had huge demands placed to fill backorders.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks Bantam for chiming in on the discussion. I have noticed with other reels especially spinning reels such as the Ci4+, that there are different moulding dates in the circular key where the recyclable triangle & poly acetate symbol & graphite is on the rotor and inside body halves, that could help with identifying different years of spinning reels, which it does for me anyhow.

However especially in the Curado it's quite profound not just on the gear cover plate but also on the nose cone in front of the level wind , I just realised it the other night looking around the real while doing some xtra maintenance.

Well there may not be much difference exterior between the series what you mentioned with the paint could be a valid reason for the difference that I showed in my pictures it's a possibility that it's a natural variation in painting etc?

Do you know if these reels are painted by hand or are they robot painted ?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:57 am

There are revisions from time to time that we may not be told about. It could be for strength issues, or simply tooling/molds do wear out.

I am not 100% certain about the paint application process. I think they are sprayed by hand in large batches, but don't quote me on that. Based on some issues I have seen here or there (rare but it happens) makes me believe they are done by humans and not robots/automation.

Paint variation may be more common, but I haven't noticed much difference in replacement parts. Typically the appearance changes we see are when installing a new part onto a well used reel that has seen lots of UV exposure and boat rash. I never noticed much difference in the pearl flake colors, but as with any paint there can be subtle differences due to mixture. Lighting can also alter how it looks.