Accurist S3

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Accurist S3

Post by 1nutinthewater » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Great reviews from the TT crew but curious if anyone has tried them? Always looking for something different although my last adventure into a different brand (the unlucky #) was a waste of $ despite stellar reviews....
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Accurist S3

Post by LowRange » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:28 am

I don't have one but I had the previous gen Accurist. Meh. It was a Banax offering that was very similar to the BPS Pro Qualifyer Doyo offering but came out a few years later and was only on par at best. I fished both. The Accurist had a flipping switch which was nice but I kept casting between pitches using the flipping switch and would have the clutch re-engage mid cast. You have to hold the thumbar down to free spool when the flipping switch is in use. Relaxation of thumbar pressure causes the clutch to re-engage.

If you really want a Banax that bad then I would look at the Okuma and Tailwalk reels. Both seem to use better Banax platforms than Quantum. Interestingly the 13 reels are made by Banax and have Banax guts on what is a 13 designed frame/side plates. If I was going to go Doyo I would go Abu Revo and if I wanted to go Banax I would go Tailwalk or Okuma but probably Tailwalk for the emphasis on lighter weight spools.

My 2 cents

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:55 pm

I've fished Quantum reels for 15+ years, including one of the earlier Accurists, and they have been dependable. I still have some of the E600 reels, and use them for my dock rods when I'm testing lures. Their externally adjustable centrifugal brakes are really good.
They are under 8 ozs, but, compared to the Smoke PT burner reels I use now, they feel a little heavy.
Quantum always put a bearing under the handle, on top of the anti-reverse bearing, and I think that makes for a much smoother retrieve.
They went with the aluminum main gear when super light was the rage, but I'm glad to see they're going back to brass main gears. The small amount of additional weight is nothing compared to the smooth retrieve and reduced maintenance that brass gears provide.
When Cal says the newest Accurist is good, I believe him.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:56 pm

My Megabass rods told me that if i were to put a Quantum reel on their reel seat, they would leave me and not come back.

In early 2000's, the accurist was my first baitcaster reel. For the time, it was good. But that's because i had no standards :oops:

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri May 03, 2019 9:36 am

Haha!
Well I dunno just wanting to try something different but I guess I had better just stick with the tried and true S & D offerings......
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 am

The new Quantums are not bad at all and I would say some of their reels like the new Smoke S3 can compete directly with Shimano and Daiwas offerings at that price point. I have never seen the new Accurist in person but the first baitcaster I ever used was the Accurist PT and its still going strong some 13 years since I first got it. Quantum makes an awesome reel when they feel like it and perhaps the rest of their S3 models fit that mold.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri May 03, 2019 6:54 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 am
The new Quantums are not bad at all and I would say some of their reels like the new Smoke S3 can compete directly with Shimano and Daiwas offerings at that price point. I have never seen the new Accurist in person but the first baitcaster I ever used was the Accurist PT and its still going strong some 13 years since I first got it. Quantum makes an awesome reel when they feel like it and perhaps the rest of their S3 models fit that mold.
The Accurist I have is also the PT. I bought it used from a club member who was switching over to all Daiwa reels. All it has done over the last 12 years is work well.