Metanium DC or Antares mgl for Nrx 873crr?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Metanium DC or Antares mgl for Nrx 873crr?

Post by Hennessy » Sun May 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Like to hear opinions on maybe anyone that has both or one of these reels. Price in japan looks about 420 for the Antares & 400 for the DC, not much difference. The 7.8oz weight of the Antares is what really bothers me but I heard it’s a 50 size reel. It has one review on TW( I take them for what they worth), saying it outcast the steel sv tw and DC by 30ft. It’s going to be used for pitching and long casting 1/4 Texas rigs. I currently have a met mgl xg( have 5 of those). No issues with it at all, just looking for something different.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Metanium DC or Antares mgl for Nrx 873crr?

Post by Winstondry » Mon May 06, 2019 3:38 pm

I have both reels and if I didn't have the 15% off coupon at the time of the purchase of the Antares MGL, I would've felt like it wasn't worth the price. I have my Antares MGL on an Edge Black Widow 733, and have thrown it on my Nautilus which I think it balanced better with. Of the two reels, I would choose another Metanium DC over the Antares MGL, it's slightly lighter and although a little bigger than the Antares, it feels better to me, even though I have small to medium sized hands.

offsidewing
Angler
Angler

Re: Metanium DC or Antares mgl for Nrx 873crr?

Post by offsidewing » Mon May 06, 2019 6:23 pm

The Met MGL has better main shaft build quality than the Met DC. I'd argue the Curado DC is better built than the Met DC. I was using a Met MGL XG with brass gears for unweighted and 1/4oz plastics. Reel Weighed low 7 oz. Got the Antares MGL and its an absolute dream.