Baitcasting Reel: Single knob handle instead of double?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Baitcasting Reel: Single knob handle instead of double?

Post by ultralight » Sun May 05, 2019 8:41 pm

A bit curious as a spinning reel guy. All o my spinning reels have a handle that extends only one side with one knob.

Virtually all baitcaster reels have handles that are balanced dual knob.

Why? I realize that a 'balanced' two knob handle should theoretically be smoother as it is balanced, and also easier to just start. But I've never noticed anything problematic with my spinning handles. (I realize that there are some spinning reels with balanced dual knob handle.)

And is it a problem for weight weenies like myself to just chop off half of a baitcaster handle so that it is just one knob?

Thanks!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Baitcasting Reel: Single knob handle instead of double?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:10 pm

Check out Bass n Bonsai tube. He has a fleet of reels with one sided handles. I think he buys the inexpensive Ali handles and cuts them himself. They look good.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 am

There are always heavier duty reels like the Tranx that have a single balanced knob too. I think Shimano offers the HG version with a big single. Maybe some Lexa heavy duty reels have a single big knob too??? I know there was a Revo Toro that came with a single handle in the box.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon May 06, 2019 3:35 am

So little to do with the actual reel, but when traveling around and holding a bunch of rods in one hand just to set them down in the corner here and there. When you go to grab the rod you want and find that the handles are tangling upon themselves on reels and lines. That is to say there's a slight less chance of a tangle with double handles. :big grin:

I've utilized the single "power" handle on some bait casting reels. In typical sense it's is usually a larger knob and more comfortable when actually winching against a larger fish. Often times it's also a longer handle length too.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:36 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:10 pm
Check out Bass n Bonsai tube. He has a fleet of reels with one sided handles. I think he buys the inexpensive Ali handles and cuts them himself. They look good.
Where you at Charlie

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:36 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:10 pm
Where you at Charlie
Same thought went thru my head as soon as I read this.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Fri May 10, 2019 5:04 pm

excuse the mismatched colors/nut, I was playing with it to see how I liked it before I color coordinate and match everything up.

I've been playing with some of those same "aliexpress" handles with a dremel, you have a single handle in a flash. the only negative I have is that sometimes when working small jigs, if you stop with the handle slightly past the forward rotation, the handle weight will pull it self forward, I have caught myself going to set the hook as I "saw my line moving" on its own...

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm

I really enjoyed fishing with my orange SMAK...Twitching bar...Single handle. https://japantackle.com/reel-archives/c ... -smak.html
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri May 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Before everyone goes cutting their AE handles with a Dremel...

Please exercise some self education and heightened safety around carbon dust...

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Yes, absolutely. Please be very careful with carbon dust - especially about getting it in your eyes. I always wet sand and wash constantly in the sink so that there is no powder.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat May 11, 2019 3:22 am

More of the issue with the lungs.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sat May 11, 2019 3:23 am

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat May 11, 2019 6:29 am

Not sure how important this is but the handle on the SMAK, while having only one knob, is counterbalanced with a metal weight.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat May 11, 2019 4:36 pm

mhood wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:29 am
Not sure how important this is but the handle on the SMAK, while having only one knob, is counterbalanced with a metal weight.
Not sure how you'd jig it up to find balance - but you could tastefully make (machine up or cast) a little metal balancer that'd fit in the other half / shortened side that'd slot in. All little Abu C's had a counterbalance from memory sake on their handles - it would be a benefit than anything else.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun May 12, 2019 4:28 pm

ultralight wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:41 pm
A bit curious as a spinning reel guy. All o my spinning reels have a handle that extends only one side with one knob.

Virtually all baitcaster reels have handles that are balanced dual knob.

Why? I realize that a 'balanced' two knob handle should theoretically be smoother as it is balanced, and also easier to just start. But I've never noticed anything problematic with my spinning handles. (I realize that there are some spinning reels with balanced dual knob handle.)

And is it a problem for weight weenies like myself to just chop off half of a baitcaster handle so that it is just one knob?

Thanks!
I like the double knobs. Sometimes, one of the knobs will feel a little rougher, due to lack of oil, and I can switch to the other knob for a smoother retrieve, until I have a chance to add oil to both of them.