Differences w/ Chronarch G vs MGL??

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Differences w/ Chronarch G vs MGL??

Post by FishNrace » Sun May 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Does anyone own both Chronarch MGL and G? Does 1 cast better than the other? Any difference in spool weight or bearing type? Wondering what are the actual differences....

Shimano site says the G is saltwater safe, both weigh exactly the same, frame looks same except for color, etc etc. I own a chronarch Mgl and want to try the G in ocean/salt

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Differences w/ Chronarch G vs MGL??

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:34 pm

They cast pretty similar except the fact that the MGL spool is a few grams lighter so it can cast lighter lures. I have actually been very impressed with the MGL's finesse ability. The G has the same braking system and a slightly heavier spool, but that is mainly attributed to a metal considered more corrosion resistant. I would assume the MGL has a slight advantage for all purpose casting, but minimal, because the spools aren't extremely different in weight. The weight difference might be minimal enough to where they cast very closely with 3/8+ lures.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishNrace » Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:34 pm
They cast pretty similar except the fact that the MGL spool is a few grams lighter so it can cast lighter lures. I have actually been very impressed with the MGL's finesse ability. The G has the same braking system and a slightly heavier spool, but that is mainly attributed to a metal considered more corrosion resistant. I would assume the MGL has a slight advantage for all purpose casting, but minimal, because the spools aren't extremely different in weight. The weight difference might be minimal enough to where they cast very closely with 3/8+ lures.
Yeah i was also quite impressed w/ the MGLs handling of light lures, i can cast a sub-1/4oz small squarebill on fluro easily. Thanks for you input, i guess the only change between the 2 was the spool and paint. Weird how the reel weights are listed exactly the same for both though.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:40 pm

FishNrace wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:15 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:34 pm
Yeah i was also quite impressed w/ the MGLs handling of light lures, i can cast a sub-1/4oz small squarebill on fluro easily. Thanks for you input, i guess the only change between the 2 was the spool and paint. Weird how the reel weights are listed exactly the same for both though.
The weights would be too small to list the difference. A few grams (spool difference) is the only thing aside of paint, and that is probably in the tenths of an oz or less so they just round the weight to the same for both.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:54 pm

The MGL spool weighs 13.5 grams, the G spool weighs 15.5. This and the paint color is the only difference, otherwise they are the exact same reel.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishNrace » Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks for the info all. Just grabbed a Chronarch G for brackish water. Only on TT can you get this kind of comparison info and so quickly :)