Spool Observations

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Spool Observations

Post by goldrod » Sat May 18, 2019 7:45 pm

I’ve been out and about with my ZPI M and PG spools
1012 and 1016 G1 spools and Steez hyper long Cast spool and ZPI blue emblem spool and KTF kahen spool

I’ve gotten to know these spools and how they perform in my reels. This is my experience with the aforementioned spools and my hope is that you save money because this can get out of hand quickly. None of these spools have been tuned and most have fixed inductors and of noteworthiness is I’ve not skipped with any of them.

The best all around spool in the group hands down is the Kahen spool. Now it should be noted that I don’t have the shallow version. Also if your buying from Japan the red color spools cost more than the blue but the blue cost more than the gold.
This KTF Kahen spool took little time dialing in.

The Blue Emblem is good and tosses a 5/16 weigh and 6 inch ribbon worm with the flick of the wrist. To me is seems to spin faster than the kahen spool although the kahen does weigh less.
I have to mention that i can have the brake dial on ten and walk it up to 6. I can cast with little effort an extraordinary distance.

The hyper long cast spool is a really good spool but for me the stock spool is better not in a Steez. I have mine in the sv103xs reel and it gives that distance at a self controlled pace.
It has a permanent home in that reel and handles wind resistant lures easily.

The PG and M spools by zpi to me are good. This list is not an order of performance or my preference just which came to mind next. Of the M and the PG spool, in hindsight i would go PG only.
Conversely I have a purple PG spool in another sv103xs and where as the Steez hyper long cast seems to perform better with heavier lures the PG in the same reel allows me get more distance than the SHLC spool AND lighter lures. However it’s easier of the two to birdnest.

The G1 1012 is what I use for weightless soft plastics. Both the 1012 and 1016 share some attributes of the blue emblem. They can be good for people like me. The 1016 pitches with amazing distance. Personally anything the 1012 can do the 1016 can do better with heavier line. Unlike the blue emblem they require you to find that right spool tension. With the BE it just wants to run. My joke is tha the BE is already running before you cast.

Other people may have similar experiences or totally different experiences. What I can tell you is buying spools can run your wallet especially when your paying the cost of a new reel or rod or both for one spool. Do your research. For the money the kahen for sure followed by the G1 and than the ZPI spools

I have a M spool in my TDZ-R+ for 1/4 Crankbait slinging on a 7’2” rod. Hopes this helps and if your thinking about asking “if you could only have one which would it be?” That would totally depend on what I’m doing with it. For example if I’m throwing topwater walking baits, I’d use the SHLC over all but the 1016 G1.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spool Observations

Post by Dalleinf » Sat May 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Thank you very much goldrod. It is a very nice review.

Indeed, spools hurt the wallet and it is difficult to stop getting a few extra :D However, they are also great to have when you have many 34mm spool reels as I do. Great option to swap back and forth.

One thing I will add is that for some reason different spools seem to perform differently in different reels, which may account for some differences in opinion on spools. On a few occasions, I have found a spool to perform poorly only to be pleasently surprised when the same spool was used in another reel.

I think (!) that I have 4 ZPI NRC001M, 3 ZPI NRC001PG and also 3-4 of each SLP 1012 and 1016 plus a bunch of 1st and 2nd gen Rayz spools, Momos and also the two new DIY spools (super shallow lightweight and adjustable fixed inductor).
”Sadly”, I do not have KTF spools for Daiwa - I have been tempted via Zenmarket and Buyee but they are just too expensive, and I have feared that I would not benefit from a KTF.

My favourite spools are the ZPI M and PG as I throw lightweight lures, especially inline spinners, for seatrout (the M) and salmon (the PG). The ZPIs are a hair better with light lures vs the SLPs in my opinion. They offer control, distance and almost BFS-like abilities with light lures since the spools are so light themselves.
I find that the newer DIY spools are quite good and should be considered if someone new to aftermarket spools just need to have an extra spool or two as backup.

bassasaurus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassasaurus » Sun May 19, 2019 5:45 am

I absolutely agree with goldrod on putting the KTF Kahens at the top of the list. I now have 3 regular and 3 finesse versions and love them both. I've tried them in the IS, TD-Z R+ and PO/TD-Ito, Monoblock platforms and have yet to be disappointed. However they definitely are expensive and you have to see if you can justify the price. For me, I passed that point of worrying about cost a long time ago. :lol: My general order would be Kahens > BE > PG/M > G1s but the order would change for certains apps. BTW, the purple Kahens when they do pop up are pricier than the red ones...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 am

Dalleinf

Your so correct about different platforms
In a Steez the SHLC is mediocre but in an sv193xs it sings
And no modification to the spool.

Bassasaurus
I got the kahen but I forgot about the shallow version. I bet it’s a treat :big grin:
I was selling my Ringa but the offers were less than desirable especially since I didn’t have the original spool. But I got one now and shipped it out for service. I’m thinking about a kahen spool in it.
The G1 in an ss/sv is crazy and should be mass produced.
Mine is mounted in a GLX803c
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:49 pm

I believe it's a synergy type of deal. Matching the right spool with the right reel. Inductor size and magnetic polarity are the key things in play here. The other part is the human factor. Some prefer a faster more aggressive approach, some the opposite, some in the middle. I live in the middle. Getting the distance, ease, and control just right to fit the individuals wants.
The Zpi Nrc001-m is much too fast in older platforms such as the Tdz and OG Steez for me. Yet the PG is great. Again, polarity and and inductor. Then again, both these spools were designed for the Steez and Zillion SV TW. From my experience, the G1 1012 and 1016 are great, but the Zpi kicks things up a notch. These are my favorite pairings. I haven't acquired any of the Kahen spools. I only run mid depth spools.
SV105 spool in in Tdz and and older Steez. Primarily the spool from the limited Steez SV105. Not sure it's any better than the other 105s. Could very well be in my head.
Zpi Nrc001-m in the Steez SV TW.
SV light limited spool in the Alphas Air.
G1 1012SV in the T3.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 pm

ZPI 002 RR can someone speak on the performance of this ZPI spool?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu May 23, 2019 3:17 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 pm
ZPI 002 RR can someone speak on the performance of this ZPI spool?
If you have an OG Steez, you owe it to yourself to get a 002 and try it. They're really versatile and allow you to either play it really safe and have the spool be super controlled or dial it down and let it fly.