BFS Calcutta Conquest - casting

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS Calcutta Conquest - casting

Post by Dalleinf » Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 am

^With the ASC, typically my Wise Stream or the Smith Be Sticky 55. They are not the best with 2-2.5 gram, better with approx. 5 gram, but I doubt I will do much better with my other rods. I have come to terms with not being the greatest distance caster out there :lol: - I am merely impressed with the distance you get. Moreover, 20 meters, give or take a few, is plenty for the small stream fishing that I do. I am quite good, getting better at least, when it comes to accuracy even in windy conditions and catch my fair share of trout with the Conquest and my ASCs.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 21, 2019 9:28 am

Okay, since I use a 6'4" UL rod, I'm sure that's a big part of it. A long area type casting rod, if there is such a thing, would do even better.

Either way, that reel is killer out of the box. It blows my mind sometimes how far it'll cast ul cranks like pins and snap beans.
This is the way.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Tue May 21, 2019 9:34 am

Man
A few pics will be very very helpful with casts and measurements.

I have my Calcutta Conquest BFS on its way and I really want to decide if I will buy a trout baitcasting rod for it.
I really want to know how far can this reel can cast with 2.5 gr spoons area style...

Tks and we are waiting for some pics... ;)

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Tue May 21, 2019 9:40 am

Cardiff X 64 SUL B... The rod that I want to buy it...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 am

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:40 am
Cardiff X 64 SUL B... The rod that I want to buy it...
Sure thing. I'm curious myself now. I'm not familiar with that rod, but it sounds like it will cast farther than mine. Mine is very much a bass rod.
This is the way.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Tue May 21, 2019 10:25 am

Yes
Its a dedicated trout BFS rod.
It will load very good with UL lures like small spoons and crancks 2.5-3 gr... I am not worried about the rod... The casting abillities of the reel I doubt it and the distance achieved...?!? :roll:

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:25 am
Yes
Its a dedicated trout BFS rod.
It will load very good with UL lures like small spoons and crancks 2.5-3 gr... I am not worried about the rod... The casting abillities of the reel I doubt it and the distance achieved...?!? :roll:
The rod has a lot to do with casting light weights, reel is only part of the equation. The start up inertia of the reel works in part with how well the rod can load a light lure and get it moving.

Ovidiu-Andrei
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ovidiu-Andrei » Wed May 22, 2019 6:16 am

So.

Any pics any measurements? :roll:

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 am

I have given some approx. measurements. I will not be able to do pics for some time (work etc.) and by then you will probably be able to do your own :lol:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

Ovidiu-Andrei wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:16 am
So.

Any pics any measurements? :roll:
Ha! I posted in the wrong topic. At least it's not completely off topic over there...

Here you go.
poisonokie wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am
Okay first off I must apologize and admit I was mistaken. It must've been a considerably heavier 3.5g spoon I was spooling it with.
I had about 5 min this morning to make a few casts and walk off the distance in the front yard. There was a slight 2mph crosswind and high humidity which makes the air less dense and more slippery. There are, however, line grabbing shrubs and trees on one side of the narrow 20-25' space and a car or two parked at the curb of the other side, so I can't just cast with abandon. Even so, with the mag brake at max and the mechanical brake up, and with the caveat that I paced off the distance, I could get ~25 yards without a hint of backlash. In a more open setting where I could turn down the mag braking a few notches and possibly even relax the spool tension, and swing for the fences, I'm confident I could smash in a few more yards.
This weekend I'll do just that and count the number of cranks it takes to get the spoon back to where it was when I casted. That should give a more accurate number since the difference in the arbor diameter and that of a full spool is minimal and it takes the length of the rod out of the equation.

Here's the setup:

This is the way.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:46 am

Very good and long casts! I thought I was casting pretty good, but those are better. I haven't tested much distance casting with low weights. But with 5 g lead weight, with svt tw Zillion, with Momo's Honeycomb spool, with 0.06 mm Spiderwire Stealth smooth 8, with St.Croix Avid Salmon & Steelhead AVC96MLF2 3,5-17,7 g, and casting about 95% of maximium, I casted 51 m. Distance is measured by line counter by first taking loose lines in and after that attaching line counter. But in fishing: so far I haven't needed more than 20 meters casting distance in BFS. Teton SUL is not meant to long casts.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 am

It is definitely doable and you should have your best results with some kind of super line, 6 or 8lb braid, Nanofil, nanobraid, Gliss are all good candidates and all have there positive and negatives about them. For baits that light a medium action super ultralight rod would serve you well, something that's a borderline noodle rod

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Aldebaran BFS has same spool as Conquest BFS. Still new CT Steez surpassed BFS Shimano with stock spool. :lol:

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:16 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:29 pm
Aldebaran BFS has same spool as Conquest BFS. Still new CT Steez surpassed BFS Shimano with stock spool. :lol:

I’m sure the new steez cast light baits very well but I doubt it does as well as the Shimano BFS reels, but hey I could be wrong.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Edward78 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:16 pm
MardukFIN wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:29 pm

I’m sure the new steez cast light baits very well but I doubt it does as well as the Shimano BFS reels, but hey I could be wrong.
Tested it myself. Same rod, same line, same lure. 2,6g crankbait. Aldebaran has all extra magnets on (too much backlash w/o those). CT 23m, BFS 21m. 8-)
Also Aldebaran was very very unstable to cast lightest lures far. Ct wasn't.