New grease suggestions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

New grease suggestions

Post by SapperTyler » Tue May 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Been using super lube silicone grease with the ptfe for my freshwater bait caster gears and friction areas. It works pretty good but it seems to wear away pretty quickly. I was wondering what you guys would suggest to use on my main gear, pinion and around the clutch plate area? Something with a lil more “stay putness” that is fairly inexpensive and easy to apply. Would appreciate any input.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New grease suggestions

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue May 28, 2019 4:34 pm

Shimano star drag is the best for me for gears. Most people dont like a tacky grease because they feel it slows the reel down? I dont know, it's what I've heard some say. But me, that dont get any better. Apply thick, give a few turns, and wipe off excess.
<")))><{

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue May 28, 2019 7:00 pm

The ZPI Medium will last longer. It will have a little more resistance, but it isn't nearly as sticky as something like Ardent Reel Butter. The ZPI is very expensive because the tub that it comes in is tiny. The Penn (blue poly) grease is a good cheap grease that works well without too much resistance. Grease preference is very subjective because some people prefer different properties.
I use the ZPI Medium for older reels that have seen a lot of use because the gears start to loose a little smoothness because of a little play. Don't expect to bring a trashed gear set back to life, but you do see improvement with the ZPI and older gear sets.
A softer grease like the SLP Works 104 or ZPI Soft are better for finesse reels (Alphas or Pixy) and finer teeth gear sets. It will have very little resistance.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 pm

What's people's thoughts on ceramic fortified greases...

I'm having a awesome run with it.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed May 29, 2019 8:35 am

Slazmo wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 pm

What brand is it ?

I've been using maxima waterproof grease , a big tub is $13. I have zpi medium but , use it sparingly.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am

I use belray waterproof grease

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed May 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Are you fishing the saltwater in Australia? The ZPI has diamonds that I believe also acts like a ceramic. There are so many ceramic greases out there that I wouldn't even know which to choose. We have gone back and forth for pages about the best mountain bike chain lube on mtbr.com for decades, but the service intervals are so much longer with reels that I haven't been able to try more than about a dozen kinds of grease on my reels over the decades. The Penn grease has always been my choice when doing other people's reels because it is good for fresh and salt, cheap, and easy to obtain.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Yeh here in Aus.

Japanese to English - Ceramic / Diamond's maybe a close enough translation?

Finish Line Ceramic grease, just giving it a whirl in my Calais DC as it's got brass on aluminium gears (unlikely ever to see brass on brass) so it's been great, quiet thin and sticks around enough as long as you don't overdose it, I do run it back and forward through the gears prior to shutting the reel up.

Its also been an excellent performer in main big end pinion bearing and drive bearings.

There are so many greases out it's mind boggling to some.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:43 pm
There are so many greases out it's mind boggling to some.
Have you or anyone tried Tef-Gel?

Thing is like Elmer's glue...I used it on my new Revo Beast and it completely changed the feel of the reel.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Yeh I use and stock Tef Gel at my place of work.

Its a dielectric non corrosion compound mostly for galvanic corrosion control for say between stainless steel and aluminium etc. I know of people pumping it into their LRB bearings...

I use it in screw receptacles of most reels - it's sticky as hell and nasty stuff to get off so stays where put. I use it primarily where prior corrosion has occurred and a main staple in my Calais DC where a lot of the coatings have perished over time (prior to my ownership). An excellent product for pasting between body halves of saltwater exposed reels that corrode between frame and gear plate like the newer Zillion's...

If you said to me "hey bloke use this on your gears" - personally I wouldn't, but can see why it's properties could be useful...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:44 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:19 pm
Yeh I use and stock Tef Gel at my place of work.

Its a dielectric non corrosion compound mostly for galvanic corrosion control for say between stainless steel and aluminium etc. I know of people pumping it into their LRB bearings...

I use it in screw receptacles of most reels - it's sticky as hell and nasty stuff to get off so stays where put. I use it primarily where prior corrosion has occurred and a main staple in my Calais DC where a lot of the coatings have perished over time (prior to my ownership). An excellent product for pasting between body halves of saltwater exposed reels that corrode between frame and gear plate like the newer Zillion's...

If you said to me "hey bloke use this on your gears" - personally I wouldn't, but can see why it's properties could be useful...
Haha wish I asked you before slathering it in my reel. Read about it somewhere else, apparently Seigler USA uses Tef Gel as their stock grease...one user posted about how the white stuff looked brand new after a hard season of saltwater boat/surf fishing. I fish saltwater from a kayak, and was looking for a low-maintenance grease for a couple of new reels.

After applying Tef Gel, the Revo Beast sounds like a buzzsaw. I can SEE the layer of Tef Gel on the gears but it almost feels like there's no grease on there at all, if that makes any sense. Gonna keep it on there for the rest of the season, see if it breaks in a little.

I don't mind a slower feel, I just want quiet and long-lasting grease for saltwater use. I rinse my reels with freshwater every trip.

What grease do you recommend for my applications?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Just got off the phone to Tef Gel and spoke to the "info" fella Wayne.

Getting some literature to sift through... Supposedly a OEM reel manufacturer uses it.

Will keep you posted.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:16 pm
Just got off the phone to Tef Gel and spoke to the "info" fella Wayne.

Getting some literature to sift through... Supposedly a OEM reel manufacturer uses it.

Will keep you posted.
How interesting, thanks Slazmo!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 pm

So it's been a while to get back to you. I did get literature and a reference from one shop that uses it for servicing reels - the typical "this product is the bestest" letter. I also got a blown tube from work so will give that a go in one of my reels...

When I said blown tube... Seriously sticky stuff!!! Wondering if it'll be better than my usual NLGI grease?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:08 am

Abu Silicote grease has served me well, and is inexpensive. If you want something that stays put forever and is very cheap, the blue Yamaha lower-unit grease is great, works especially well for saltwater reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.