Is the Steez SV TW currently the best low profile bass reel on the market?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Steez SV TW currently the best?

No
27%
Yes
61%
Met MGL would be it
1%
Other (specify)
11%

Total votes: 74

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Is the Steez SV TW currently the best low profile bass reel on the market?

Post by SSS » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:05 pm

In your opinion, is it? It has to be a low profile baitcaster that is currently in production.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is the Steez SV TW currently the best low profile bass reel on the market?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 pm

It really could come down to how/where people fish. Some people have everything set with a Curado, some people feel the need for a Chronarch. Ya know?
<")))><{

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 am

I voted “no” simply because it does not stand out IMO. It is a very nice reel, but there are other great reels out there with the same level of refinement, smoothness, castability etc.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:22 am

I wanted to vote "Yes", but then I remembered that I did not try New Antares 70A :D

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:22 am

I voted yes, but the Steez CT SV TW is better in every way, unless lower line capacity is an issue for you.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am

Something subjective can never be definitive. It's like trying to establish a general consensus on what is the best headphone on the market, or anything else for that matter. That being said, it's my favorite reel, but far from everyone would agree.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:22 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am
Something subjective can never be definitive. It's like trying to establish a general consensus on what is the best headphone on the market, or anything else for that matter. That being said, it's my favorite reel, but far from everyone would agree.
Grado SR325e, duh!
This is the way.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:07 am

I haven't tried, but because ct Steez can take enough line, I would say it's better.

And just after wrote this I begin thinking was question the best reel for bass or was it the best bass reel?

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:18 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 am
Something subjective can never be definitive. It's like trying to establish a general consensus on what is the best headphone on the market, or anything else for that matter.
Exactly! =D>

Everyone has different criteria for determining.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:03 am

ford , chevy , coke , pepsi..everybody as their own flavor.
steez a tw is right at the top , bantam mgl is right there also , but a slight penalty for weight , just my opinion.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:20 am

johnD wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:03 am
ford , chevy , coke , pepsi..everybody as their own flavor.
steez a tw is right at the top , bantam mgl is right there also , but a slight penalty for weight , just my opinion.
Exactly. One of my criteria for putting a reel into my collection and rotation of use includes the type of screw used to hold the side plate on. I work on these reels almost daily at a shop so I get to see them all, and have to disassemble, clean, lube and rebuild them, and some are made well for perpetual tear downs, while others, even high end reels have screws that can strip out fairly easily and makes servicing and maintenance a pain in the rear over the long haul.

I got a reel the other day that had 3 different types of screws for the side plate and the schematic was not clear to me on what went where, and if it is not clear to someone who does it professionally, what is the situation for the DIY at home end users when they do it at home? We get reels in all the time with screws in the wrong places, stripped out, wrong screws used and worse, some can not be removed and have broken off usually due to severe corrosion and sometimes just the wrong screw in the wrong place.

A quality design would also include simple straight forward use of screws that can be removed, and replaced over and over without issues and problems. And, so I look for reels that meet this criteria and will often reject a reel if it does not- regardless of how popular or, how expensive the reel is makes not one iota of difference to me.

I'd bet I am the only person here who uses side plate screws as inclusive criteria for "best" of... slight weight differences is irrelevant to me. I still use reels that are 25 plus years old that really have some weight and it is not an issue at all.
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:21 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:07 am
I haven't tried, but because ct Steez can take enough line, I would say it's better.

And just after wrote this I begin thinking was question the best reel for bass or was it the best bass reel?
Bass reel, yea

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 am

Bit surprised no one voted for the met mgl. Always thought it was very popular in here.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:39 am

SSS wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:23 am
Bit surprised no one voted for the met mgl. Always thought it was very popular in here.
He rigged it! (kidding) :big grin: Just goes to show that forums do not match the overall national tackle market. Reality and forums are miles apart!

For example, here you find most people who post are enthusiasts for tackle while the vast majority of tackle sales are to people who could not care less. They walk into Walmart and buy some cheap chinese junk and use it until it breaks and go back and buy some more. That is more than 99% of the market, while the enthusiasts make up less than 1% -as a guess, and a lot of that 1% is what fills up forums while the 99% could not care less and will never pay big bucks for fishing gear and certainly will not bother with tackle forums to discuss it- or debate and argue about it- and get hostile over it. ](*,)

Another thing to consider... take here in central Florida for example... I work in a rod and reel repair shop that has been in business for 32 years now. We see mostly Shimano and Penn and very few Daiwa reels if ever. We see more Zebco and Quantum reels than Daiwa. So in our 'reel' world, Shimano is king by a long shot, and it is Daiwa who? Shimano far outsells Daiwa by a long shot in our area. Nearly all saltwater reels are either Shimano, Penn, or other, but almost never Daiwa.

Just the way it goes... while on this forum Daiwa has a strong following that does not match the numbers of the 'reel' world so they can out vote the king of the hill around here...

And this comment is not trying to bash Daiwa, only posted to show a different perspective that I see in 'reel' life.

Last week, I think one Daiwa TWS came through the front door- that I saw. However, a ton of shimano came in. Shimano far outsells Daiwa. Simple as that.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:51 am

Starting with I only have the last couple generations of Metaniums and a Steez SV and Steez A to compare head to head. I had an Antares for a short while as well... My 2 cents is probably yes, I have been a huge Shimano guy for 30 years and when i finally tried the the SV I was impressed and when my new Bantam was less than inspiring I exchanged it for the Steez A and all I can say wow I had no idea how good that platform is. So having been to the top of Shimano's ladder and if the Steez SV TW is much better than the A... I have to agree!

Cheers, Kurt