ICAST 2019

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2172
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by E73Bass » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:12 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:42 pm
E73Bass wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:53 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am
I believe it's an entirely new Zillion HD, built on the Steez A frame, but with brass gears. Anyone find any leaked pics yet? O:)
If it's the same one listed on Daiwa USA website as "new", it's the same model as in Japan. Both have a 1520 spool which goes in a 36mm platform. The picture Daiwa USA posted looks just like the JP version.
Exacty .... Daiwa USA has had Zillion HD model for the last few years. However only in 7.3:1 ratio.

Here it is: https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=11516

Tackle trap actually had these in custom ratios and would put in a 6.3:1 or 5.5:1 ratio gear set if you wanted. Which in my opinion is what these reals are meant to be offered in.

The new JDM version comes in all 3 gear ratios... but looks like they are not bringing over the 5:5.1.

Here is the new One on Daiwa USA web page.
Keep in mind they have had a HD version in USA for awhile ...about 3 years ... they have just updated and added a gear ratio. Wish they would of added the 5.5:1. As this reel is made for the Big Plug 1 oz+ Lure... swim baits and A-Rigs.

But this is not the new one I am speaking of and this has been on Daiwa USA website for over a week.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
Good information...I don't follow Daiwa USA too closely, so I was a bit confused by the "new" label on the website and Daiwa FB picture of the "new" HD looking just like the existing HD.
They do mention the word "compact" on the FB post, but that could be a relative phrase compared to the Lexa.

I can tell you one thing. Whomever is in charge of thier new USDM product hype train, needs to get off at the next station. :?

My take on using the word “compact” really means
“we have put our brake dial in a more conspicuous area so your big paws don’t mess with it when in use.”

Here are better pics of the newer redesigned version of HD Zillion.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... MwbFNoaWhn

User avatar
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 am
Location: CA Delta

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by Tony9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:13 pm
Too bad it has a fixed inductor. I would love to see a more distance orientated Magforce Z spool in it for bombing frogs and throwing big baits.
I know the JDM Zillion HD has a fixed rotor. The Daiwa USA website does list Magforce Z though. So maybe it's using the Ryoga 1520 spool?

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html

doomtrprz71
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 pm

That's literally the jdm zillion tw1516 with the HD handle and a new side plate

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:22 pm

Tony9 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm
LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:13 pm
Too bad it has a fixed inductor. I would love to see a more distance orientated Magforce Z spool in it for bombing frogs and throwing big baits.
I know the JDM Zillion HD has a fixed rotor. The Daiwa USA website does list Magforce Z though. So maybe it's using the Ryoga 1520 spool?

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
I hope so but it could be listed wrong. Daiwa US site once had the description for the operation of Magforce Z backwards. It stated that the inductor moved outwards towards the magnets ar the end of the cast as the spool slowed. It has since been corrected. I wouldn't but too much stock into what the Daiwa US site says.

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by johnD » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:37 pm

When I saw the daiwa post on instagram this morning , I had to take a quick glance at the calendar and make sure it wasn't April 1st. :lol:

User avatar
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 am
Location: CA Delta

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by Tony9 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:11 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:22 pm
Tony9 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:45 pm
LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:13 pm
Too bad it has a fixed inductor. I would love to see a more distance orientated Magforce Z spool in it for bombing frogs and throwing big baits.
I know the JDM Zillion HD has a fixed rotor. The Daiwa USA website does list Magforce Z though. So maybe it's using the Ryoga 1520 spool?

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ ... index.html
I hope so but it could be listed wrong. Daiwa US site once had the description for the operation of Magforce Z backwards. It stated that the inductor moved outwards towards the magnets ar the end of the cast as the spool slowed. It has since been corrected. I wouldn't but too much stock into what the Daiwa US site says.
I completely agree. Daiwa's US website is far from a being reliable source for it's own products. Spool capacities have been listed wrong (Tatula 150). We won't know till somebody reliable can confirm. My guess is that it's not Magforce Z. In the second image on Daiwa's US website, the spool branding says "G1 Magforce", just like the JDM version, and not "G1 Magforce Z" like the Ryoga.

Zillion HD
Image

Ryoga 1520
Image

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm

I wouldn't write off the Zillion CT yet. With the Tatula 100, Tatula 150 and 200 it makes sense that there would be a new Zillion CT and a Zillion HD.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm
I wouldn't write off the Zillion CT yet. With the Tatula 100, Tatula 150 and 200 it makes sense that there would be a new Zillion CT and a Zillion HD.
This is what I was getting at earlier in this thread. I guess that "new" Zillion HD got everybody distracted..... :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

doomtrprz71
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:35 am

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Must be a new lexa HD on the way as well since American legacy just put them on sale for 40% off.

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:45 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm
I wouldn't write off the Zillion CT yet. With the Tatula 100, Tatula 150 and 200 it makes sense that there would be a new Zillion CT and a Zillion HD.
This is what I was getting at earlier in this thread. I guess that "new" Zillion HD got everybody distracted..... :lol:
I'm skeptical. It doesn't make sense, but what do I know. Are we assuming use of a Steez CT frame, cause that really makes no sense. Steez A frame wouldn't be a CT....And the Steez A exists, so no sense in another duplicate reel here.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:45 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm
I wouldn't write off the Zillion CT yet. With the Tatula 100, Tatula 150 and 200 it makes sense that there would be a new Zillion CT and a Zillion HD.
This is what I was getting at earlier in this thread. I guess that "new" Zillion HD got everybody distracted..... :lol:
I'm skeptical. It doesn't make sense, but what do I know. Are we assuming use of a Steez CT frame, cause that really makes no sense. Steez A frame wouldn't be a CT....And the Steez A exists, so no sense in another duplicate reel here.
Daiwa would absolutely call a Steez A Zilllion a Zillion CT. They have an Alphas CT out right now. Most likely we will get a Tatula 100 based Zillion CT although it would be nice to get a Steez A with brass gears for $300.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:51 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:45 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:46 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm
I wouldn't write off the Zillion CT yet. With the Tatula 100, Tatula 150 and 200 it makes sense that there would be a new Zillion CT and a Zillion HD.
This is what I was getting at earlier in this thread. I guess that "new" Zillion HD got everybody distracted..... :lol:
I'm skeptical. It doesn't make sense, but what do I know. Are we assuming use of a Steez CT frame, cause that really makes no sense. Steez A frame wouldn't be a CT....And the Steez A exists, so no sense in another duplicate reel here.
Daiwa would absolutely call a Steez A Zilllion a Zillion CT. They have an Alphas CT out right now. Most likely we will get a Tatula 100 based Zillion CT although it would be nice to get a Steez A with brass gears for $300.
I agree! If that theoretical reel was built on the new Tatula 100 frame, but with a free-floating spool, then it would basically be a Steez A, right? It has an almost identical frame as the Steez CT, only made with aluminum, correct? So, let's follow that rabbit hole a bit further down....if the past is any indication, then that theoretical reel would also have an aluminum gear-side plate and brass gears, plus be lighter than the 6.9 oz Tatula 100, right? What would really make no sense is the Zillion HD comes to US shores 2 yrs after its debut in Japan, then they don't introduce a replacement for the Zillion SV TW, right? I'm just saying....
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2172
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:57 pm

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by E73Bass » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:03 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 pm
That's literally the jdm zillion tw1516 with the HD handle and a new side plate
Well kind of...1516 with a deeper spool and updated sideplate. It’s a Daiwa Zillion 1520 HD that has been on the Japan websites since 2018 and on the Daiwa Australia website on since 2016 as a Battler 1520H ( now discontinued)

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com.au/daiw ... 1520h.html

I know cause I purchased the red 1520 spool a couple years ago from Ottos Tackle World which is a Australia website to put in my 5.5:1 1516 to spool up 100 yds of 20 lb mono for deep cranks and swimbaits... yea I’m old school and still like the stretch on anything with trebles that I get with Mono.
Last edited by E73Bass on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:09 am

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by Reverendo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:40 pm

How can I get into i-cast?
I'm not in the fishing trade, per say, though I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express... sorry couldn't resist. But seriously, I'd like to go. I do have a certification and side business as an archery instructor. Do you did I could get in claiming my interest is in bow-fishing? It would not be false.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: ICAST 2019

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:55 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:40 pm
How can I get into i-cast?
I'm not in the fishing trade, per say, though I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express... sorry couldn't resist. But seriously, I'd like to go. I do have a certification and side business as an archery instructor. Do you did I could get in claiming my interest is in bow-fishing? It would not be false.
Not sure, I would assume it takes some time ahead to get in. I don't know much about ICAST, just always watch a ton of videos this time of year. I have an invention/innovation I have tried to get setup and released there (by a company's cooperation) and had ZERO luck.

Post Reply