Knocking Daiwa LT Reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Knocking Daiwa LT Reels?

Post by Kurt L » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:53 am

Has anyone here experienced knocking from there LT series reels when under load? I just purchased a two reels for throwing spinners, a Saltist Back Bay 4000 and a Tatula 4000 and both of them knock when under any load. I returned the Back Bay thinking it was defective and ordered the Tat. and experienced the same exact knock. it's when the spool makes transitions up and down in four distinct spots. the gears on both reels are butter smooth but the knocking drives me nuts... I will be sending the Tatula back Monday I didn't even get the spool filled all the way and can feel it knocking so i pulled the line back off and put it back in the box.
Anyone else experienced this? does it settle in or only get worst?

Thanks, Kurt

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Knocking Daiwa LT Reels?

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:03 am

Your reel could be an aberration, but 2 brand new reels doing virtually the same thing? That is interesting indeed and tends to show a pattern.

Reels should be perfectly smooth and virtually noise free right out of the box. And if it isn't...and if it is still under warranty, I would return it immediately and ask for another one before it does get worse and Daiwa or retailer won't cover it and consider it damage you might have done that is outside any warranties.

And if it is knocking, I would not continue to crank it because it could be causing more damage if any. But if under warranty don't try and service it yourself. Simply return it and replace it and hope the next one is perfect.

A very interesting revelation... do you think this is a production problem or a design situation?
Last edited by ShimanoFan on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:26 am

:lol:

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:45 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:26 am
:lol:
Huh?

Curious I am :big grin:

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:42 pm

I talked to Daiwa service this morning and they were great as always, I just have to decide whether to return it or send it in for warranty. It's nice to call a company and speak to fisherman rather than someone who only knows the business side of things.
My friends used to thank me for being the guy that is cursed and seems to always get the one bad one in a bunch makes it safe for everyone else... :lol: It got so bad at one time I had my buddy buy my reels for me that seemed to help, he never misses :roll:

Kurt