Bantam MGL

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bantam MGL

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:19 am

I made the mistake of letting my friend, who is a frogging guru, use my new Scorpion MGL this past Saturday night. We were fishing the afternoon/night in the Everglades. His frog reel, which is waaaay past service, was giving him issues, so I took the Scorpion off my rod, and let him put it on his custom frog rod. Needless to say he fell in love with it. Since that reel was a quick wash, I decided to go ahead and do like we do in the car world, and build it faster and stronger. Lol.

I decided to take my chances and search for a high speed Bantam MGL and found one new from Japan. I'm gonna spool it with 20# Stren magnathin (I love that line) and use it for pitching soft plastics. I also ordered a Phenix M1 7'2H to put it on. (What's a new reel without a new rod? It's the TT way).

I would like to hear from y'all that have one. I have read and watched reviews on it, and finally got to see what it looks like inside. One thing I have to say is they finally got rid of that crappy Dartanium in favor of carbon discs. I will gladly be able to not have to do anything to this reel once I get it. I know this reel will handle more than what I'm gonna throw at it, and I have my Calcuttas as well for real heavy use too. I waited long enough to give in....
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bantam MGL

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:34 am

When you get it check for the gap (light to shine through) in the frame and level wind shaft & bushing location - that bushing which'll be replaced with a bearing undoubtedly...
Attachments
IMG_20190613_213917.jpg
IMG_20190613_213917.jpg (29.66 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 am

Seriously?! You had to mention that? :lol: I really didnt want to break it down right away. ](*,)
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:55 am

You see those pics I did before my New Zealand trip? You know where to look.

What I don't get is lesser reels have an O ring in that location to mitigate water intrusion - this one "pish posh" nah not needed... Hence gap...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 am

Its gonna be fresh water only, but I will have to try and find that post, or maybe you can send it to me via IG?

NM, found it. :lol:
<")))><{

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 am

I got the reel in the mail yesterday. I spooled it up with 20lb Stren magnathin, and did some pitching around the backyard with a 3/8oz weight and a brush hog. All brake tabs on, and dial on Max. Pitching is effortless and controlled. Even dragging the bait through the grass, the reel feels like it retains power with the XG gears. Hopefully I can hook into a few fish with it Saturday.
<")))><{