short stem spinning reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

short stem spinning reels

Post by johns » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:50 am

Other than getting an ultra light spinning reel are there any 2500 or 3000 size reels with a shorter stem? Havent used a spinning reel going on 18 years and looking for one where I can feather the line coming off the reel with my index finger on my casting hand. Must have smaller sized hands as my finger just about reaches. Thanks

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: short stem spinning reels

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm

I use my middle finger. Two fingers in front and two behind the reel seat. Middle finger on the spool to cast and release the line, then feather it at the end of the cast. It's just a matter of practicing and getting the muscle memory. I don't think there are any significantly shorter stemmed reels, much shorter and knuckles would get bashed.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:09 am

Thanks for the info and the solution , just what I needed. I do love the control of my bait casters. Now to go practice

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:13 am

Also, short stem may not be good because you want the spool aligned with the first guide. The geometry of each rod and reel is different, unless you ago custom with a custom rod designed around a reel.

To slow done cast, I usually feather the line between the spool and first guide with my other hand.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:21 am

Handler wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:13 am
Also, short stem may not be good because you want the spool aligned with the first guide. The geometry of each rod and reel is different, unless you ago custom with a custom rod designed around a reel.

To slow done cast, I usually feather the line between the spool and first guide with my other hand.
This. I use my left hand to feather the line since it's there ready then flip the bail and start feeling, anyway. It probably offers more in the way of control that way and you can keep a solid grip on the rod with your right hand.
This is the way.